Bad Company

StompyNZ

Question.. you've added some of the compo pois in your mod.. in order to add the rest manually, do you create a new modded game folder with yours after adding the compo mod, so your new versions over write the original compo ones?

It sounds like you are fixing them somehow from the description file... or are the fixed ones already updated in the current compo version?

Did you ever detail your rgw changes? I'm not sure if I should include that as well, or just include the xml changes I'm making on the zombies.

I selected the most completed and theme appropriate compo prefabs to include, but to add the rest just add the prefabs to the compo first, then paste mine over the top, then add the extra ones into the prefab_rules in rwgmixer to get them to spawn. Look for the prefab_rules used in the hubs and wilderness to see where they need to go. The main change I made on the ones I included (and the vanilla prefabs) is the xml to allow them to spawn in more biomes/townships, and changes to the spawner class used.

It also sounds like part of my problem was using mod manager for testing my changes in bad company.. I figured it was a quicker tool for testing mods, but its looking like its not really setup for that properly, and that as a result, some issues end up happening. I've redone the entire thing 3 times or more now, and it all looked creat yesterday. I cleaned up everything in mod manager to package it up, recreated the mod combo in mod manager, and then it was completely broken with no new zombies added at all.

I'm going back to just manually making a new mod folder and working on it traditionally. with luck, my last edited xml files will work when dumped into 1.3.1

Ah you were refering to the Mod Launcher, yeh as SphereII mentioned it was more designed for completed mods rather than WiP.

After doing the testing the normal way, it worked perfectly the first time! Woot!

Next I'll look at combining the compo and your rgw together. It can't be near as hard as the hell I went through the last two weeks b\fighting against that mod manager. (It looks like its down now.. it won't boot on either system, so I'm guessing it calls home to operate.)

Assuming I can combine the rgw stuff together, I might even add a guppy zed to test those waters.

Question: Is there a performance hit with each new zed we add? If all the content is already in game, I'd think there wouldn't be.

I'd also like to make some zombies specific to biomes.. like all the lumberjacks and snow clad ones in snow biomes. (Looks like Kenny belongs there as well.) It looks odd seeing a lumberjack in a desert or plains biome to me.

I see there are already specific spawn groups for the snow biome.. can additional ones be added for the other biomes as well?

I'm thinking it would be good to divide them up a bit to have few generic ones that appear all over, and relocate them to their own specific biomes. That way as you explore a new area, you encounter different zeds.

Also, are any of the bandits not carrying guns?

EDIT: Looks like there are a lot more differences between the compo rwg and the bad company one, so I think I'll stick with the compo one for now, since it includes more pois. Will the guppy ones spawn if they are included in prefabs, but not listed specifically in the rwg?

Also, whats the best way to make this available for other players? I don't want to take any credit at all for the changes, but do want to make it available if possible.

The only other thing I did was slow the dogs down .2 because I got pretty tired of them killing me just starting out in the wastelands.. lol!

After doing the testing the normal way, it worked perfectly the first time! Woot!

Next I'll look at combining the compo and your rgw together. It can't be near as hard as the hell I went through the last two weeks b\fighting against that mod manager. (It looks like its down now.. it won't boot on either system, so I'm guessing it calls home to operate.)

Assuming I can combine the rgw stuff together, I might even add a guppy zed to test those waters.

Question: Is there a performance hit with each new zed we add? If all the content is already in game, I'd think there wouldn't be.

I'd also like to make some zombies specific to biomes.. like all the lumberjacks and snow clad ones in snow biomes. (Looks like Kenny belongs there as well.) It looks odd seeing a lumberjack in a desert or plains biome to me.

I see there are already specific spawn groups for the snow biome.. can additional ones be added for the other biomes as well?

I'm thinking it would be good to divide them up a bit to have few generic ones that appear all over, and relocate them to their own specific biomes. That way as you explore a new area, you encounter different zeds.

Also, are any of the bandits not carrying guns?

EDIT: Looks like there are a lot more differences between the compo rwg and the bad company one, so I think I'll stick with the compo one for now, since it includes more pois. Will the guppy ones spawn if they are included in prefabs, but not listed specifically in the rwg?

Also, whats the best way to make this available for other players? I don't want to take any credit at all for the changes, but do want to make it available if possible.

The only other thing I did was slow the dogs down .2 because I got pretty tired of them killing me just starting out in the wastelands.. lol!

You must be using a different spawning than my one, because they are already seperated out per biome in mine :)

Instead of calling the ZombiesAll group, just use the biome specific entity group for each one, for example:

<biome name="burnt_forest">

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="15" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsSmall" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

</biome>

<biome name="desert">

put all your burnt forest specific zombies in ZombiesBurntForestMixed etc.

This is only for the biome spawners, the PoI spawners call the all group, and without making a copy of each prefab for each biome and limiting them each to just that biome you cant really fix that (and thats way too much work for the reward, maybe long down the road after gold).

banditsledge is the template for melee bandits. He's deadly so watch out ;)

<entity_class name="BanditThugSledgeHammer" extends="BanditMeleeTemplate">

<property name="Archetype" value="BanditMelee"/>

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="meleeBanditSledgeHammer"/>

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="meleeBanditSledgeHammer"/>

<property name="CorpseBlock" value="banditSledgeCorpse"/>

</entity_class>

if you want to add others with different weapons just copy that and change the item. If you dont want them to drop the item when they die (loot only) you'll need to do a bit more work to add the loot block, and loot container/group.

For making it available for download I strongly recommend using github.

Watch the vid on details on how you can do that. It has the huge added bonus of version control once you get your head around it. Ever single update you commit is stored in history, so if you completely bugger something up its a very simple process to revert back to a previous version. You also get the diff file display which shows you exactly what changed with each update.

For the mixer, Magoli and I have very different views on the world. He prefers very sparse and barren worlds, with few wilderness PoI's. Mine are packed a lot more but with added danger :).

Entirely your choice which you use, but I prefer mine :p

After running for an hour trying to find any poi, I think I agree! I needed to find at least one new obne to make sure that they were at least working.

So question... if I use your rgw instead of his, We'll still see all his poi in the generation pool, right? And the guppy oil rig as well? If I'm going top have both in the data folder, I'd like them all to be used.

I even finally managed to start our local server, and join both our local pcs with compo and your edited mod in place.

I'll use github for the mod file... should I create a new thread here listing my changes, and attributing your original work then?

This isn't any harder really than c or basic programming. Its kind of amazing, and fun!

Thanks SO much for your original work, and your patient assistance in helping me realize this.

You'll need to add any poi's that you want to use from the compo pack to HIS rwgmixer, since it's the mixer that controls which POI's get generated... so if for instance, you wanted to add my fire station, you'd need to:

• Make sure the prefab is in both the client and server prefab folder
  • Add it to the rwgmixer where you want

What Gup said :)

And yeah just make a new [Mod] thread to link your changes for people to play with, that way as you make changes to it over time you can talk about them in there and not have them lost in with the mod discussions here ;)

For a quick rundown of how my mixer works:

I create a 9 hub grid in the center.

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_c" position="0,0" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_n" position="0,1" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_s" position="0,-1" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_e" position="1,0" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_w" position="-1,0" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_ne" position="1,1" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_nw" position="-1,1" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_se" position="1,-1" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="wastelandHub_sw" position="-1,-1" prob="0"/>

This give me control of what type of hubs can spawn near the central area of the map.

wastelandHub_c is the primary city, and larger than any other. all the wasteland hubs use wildernessCity as the wilderness rule. This is how I have more unique prefabs in the wilds but only around these central hubs. They can be city or large town, 50% chance either way, with the exception of _c (always city) _s (Hub_WartornDiers), _nw (Hub_Mortensen), _ne (Hub_Feirston).

The four strongholds are found well out from the hub at the 4 cardinal co-ordinates (the 5th hub from 0,0)

<cell_rule name="Stronghold_Famine" position="0,4" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="Stronghold_War" position="0,-4" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="Stronghold_Pestilence" position="4,0" prob="0"/>

<cell_rule name="Stronghold_Dragon" position="-4,0" prob="0"/>

They are all using rural hub layouts so that I can get the PoI spawners to work. One is the oil rig (i'll let you discover which) two are my own creations, and 1 is the chernobyl prefab from Maz_Burt.

I've got a fifth stronghold to add at some stage, but still need to carve it out from the region file and modify it to make it more bandity.

I also need to add the special leader spawner prefabs and dome more bandit spawner prefabs (with unique faction bandits) to each strong hold, as well as make some cloned versions of prefabs wit the different factions controlling them.

When I get some downtime over christmas i'll be doing some work towards getting all that done.

To add more compo prefabs to my mixer just add them to the rules where you want them, and make sure the prefabs xml allows them to spawn in a wide range of areas. (check my prefab xmls for examples)

prefab_rule > wildernessPOIs, wildernessPOIs_high, wildernessPOIs_city are where you place the prefabs for wilderness spawns

townBuildings and townLarge for the towns (or one of the linked sub rules)

wastelandHub for the cities (must be limited to prefabs of 45x45, maybe slightly bigger)

once again check the prefab xml to be sure they can spawn in those township types.

One of the entries in the mod manager lists bad company and the compo pack.. from what you are saying though, it doesn't actually include the compo packs at all in rwg.

I replaced the compo mixer with yours, and we started the local server and both played for several hours. Wife was stoopid on day one wandering around the wasteland.. I tried to tell her not to, but...

After a few feral deaths and a dog chasing her, I think she'll avoid it at the beginning now.

We encountered a feral on night 1... the odds of that are pretty low, but then so are the odds of an army guy dropping a rocket launcher and rockets to deal with him.

Unfortunately, my wife started running back at the feral just as I launched a rocket at his feet. Lets say she was displeased to say the least...LOL!

One of the entries in the mod manager lists bad company and the compo pack.. from what you are saying though, it doesn't actually include the compo packs at all in rwg.

I replaced the compo mixer with yours, and we started the local server and both played for several hours. Wife was stoopid on day one wandering around the wasteland.. I tried to tell her not to, but...

After a few feral deaths and a dog chasing her, I think she'll avoid it at the beginning now.

We encountered a feral on night 1... the odds of that are pretty low, but then so are the odds of an army guy dropping a rocket launcher and rockets to deal with him.

Unfortunately, my wife started running back at the feral just as I launched a rocket at his feet. Lets say she was displeased to say the least...LOL!

hehe, I kinda wish my wife would play :p

yeah that BC + Compo is from a long time ago, so I should probably get sphereII to drop that from the default configs

Lol someones in the dog house lol :-P. Should i say deliberately on accident :-D haha lol

yeah that BC + Compo is from a long time ago, so I should probably get sphereII to drop that from the default configs

I looked in the Configs, and I don't see a Bad Company + CompoPack kit.

Is there something wrong with the mod launcher server? It won't open on either of our systems here as of about 3pm yesterday.

You prob want to ask that in the launcher thread, but it's unlikely to be on his end. It's hosted on azure (aka Microsoft cloud services) and the repos are mostly on GitHub which is almost impossible to be offline given it's the number 1 version control hub

Question.. have you tried this with 15.1 yet? Just wondering if I'll have to scrap the changes I made and redo them on a newer compatible version.

just about to upload 1.3.1 with the updates merged. (after checking it in game)

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany-NoBandit

A no Bandit/Custom Z Animal version of the 1.3.2 code

Only thing left in this is the chicken horde? (I changed it to a kid/babies horde)

EDIT: Thanks for doing all the additional work. Far better for an official version than a hacked version by me.

I'll probably still tinker with it for practice for our home server adjusting who spawns where, and then adding some of Guppy's zeds for more variety.

Only thing left in this is the chicken horde? (I changed it to a kid/babies horde)

EDIT: Thanks for doing all the additional work. Far better for an official version than a hacked version by me.

I disabled the chicken horde. Day 13 in the RoamingHordeSpawnDay in spawning.xml is now just ZombiesRoamingMixed. I've left all the groups and such in, just none of the bandits (or ZAnimals) will spawn

I'll probably still tinker with it for practice for our home server adjusting who spawns where, and then adding some of Guppy's zeds for more variety.

Next version I'll probably add Guppies zombies to the default mix as well :)

I'm thinking of doing an archetype megapack and having hundreds of zombie types per biome. The max alive will stop it becoming too much ram usage so should be ok for most systems.

I disabled the chicken horde. Day 13 in the RoamingHordeSpawnDay in spawning.xml is now just ZombiesRoamingMixed. I've left all the groups and such in, just none of the bandits (or ZAnimals) will spawn

Next version I'll probably add Guppies zombies to the default mix as well :)

I'm thinking of doing an archetype megapack and having hundreds of zombie types per biome. The max alive will stop it becoming too much ram usage so should be ok for most systems.

I love this idea.. after seeing games like dead rising, it seems a bit lame to only have a dozen standard types.

Looking good! The only issue I have with many of the alternates, is they use such a small font size for the time that I can't read them.

If I was sitting right in front of our 27" monitor, it isn't an issue, but sitting 10 feet away from our 82" tv is where that problem comes into play.

While you are replacing the gui, why not add the edit so minibikes show up on the map?

Looking good! The only issue I have with many of the alternates, is they use such a small font size for the time that I can't read them.

If I was sitting right in front of our 27" monitor, it isn't an issue, but sitting 10 feet away from our 82" tv is where that problem comes into play.

Its catch 22 with the default scale.

No Room to put anything. So make it smaller OR change scale closer to 1.0. More room, everything else goes smaller however.

I like the icons Stompy. Very nice. The sprites for buff popout list etc I could never make work the way I wanted to cause of the stretching required.

Archived