Bad Company

StompyNZ

Ok, I'm trying another possibility. I'm starting with the latest badco since it includes pois and works. I'm commenting out the zombie animals, the bandits in the group lists, and adding an assorted list of standard zombies in the bandit places.

I replaced the bandit leaders with cops, and reduced the possibility of the cheerleader during the day down to .05 and moved her to the bottom of all lists, to avoid that bug that Guppy mentioned.

Let's see how this works, shall we?

We started a new local co op game without the comp pois and without the additional zombies, and it seemed to just be missing SO much.

If this works, I'll cherry pick a bunch of the valmod parts to add like working stoves, and some other nice convieniences. Since the full mod has some issue with bad company, that should be the best of both worlds.

So the end goal will be a mod combo in mod manager that includes:

Bad Co minus bandits and animals,

Comp pois

cherry picked val mod additions

IF it works, I'll check with all the creators involved, and see about making it available in mod manager

Looks like this is working perfectly! Numbers are bit higher than vanilla, I think, but not so high as to be problematic framerate wise. I just tweaked the spawn file a small amount, to lower some of the city numbers. I've yet to find a city on this rgw, but want to find one before I confirm this is all workking properly.

I saw a reference to "tallman" commented out.. does he not work, Stompy? If he does, I'll add him back into the mix. Also, did GothGirl not make the cut? I kinda like her.. she looks like a nice alternate screamer option.

Also if anyone has any new UMA mixes, I'm pretty sure I can add them as well. A few more biome specific zombies would be good, like shorts in the desert, or heavy weather ones in the snow biome.

Looks like this is working perfectly! Numbers are bit higher than vanilla, I think, but not so high as to be problematic framerate wise. I just tweaked the spawn file a small amount, to lower some of the city numbers. I've yet to find a city on this rgw, but want to find one before I confirm this is all workking properly.

I saw a reference to "tallman" commented out.. does he not work, Stompy? If he does, I'll add him back into the mix. Also, did GothGirl not make the cut? I kinda like her.. she looks like a nice alternate screamer option.

Also if anyone has any new UMA mixes, I'm pretty sure I can add them as well. A few more biome specific zombies would be good, like shorts in the desert, or heavy weather ones in the snow biome.

Tallman comes in as a screamer zombie in my spawning (after day 27), so I don't have him in the general spawns.

I don't have a GothGirl zombie, unless you mean zombie Mord perhaps? Shes a feral, runs in the day and has feral level stats.

On the first page where you are showing off your new zombies you show goth girl.. maybe you renamed her? I'm still getting wat too many zombies in a town. I counted over 20 visible. (Cities are the skyscrapers, and the towns have around 20 pois, right?)

Do pois have unique spawning number multipliers?

I'm still dropping into the 20s fps wise in cities. I did up the spawn delay to at least 1 from zeroes...

Here's the lastest link update... https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5Qc-0aYgDP3d-Ebg

To run it and see what I'm seeing, also load the compo pois mod https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5Qc-0aYgDP3d-Ebg

I'll look at the city spawn numbers and compare them with pimps. Maybe the maxalive thing isn't in place properly?umazombie12.jpg.52590ac0dbdb60e80c0841e2d926d9a2.jpg

If I'm reading your comments right, the city group isn't used in rwg. Is the wasteland group used instead, or what is used in a town?

I think replacing the bandits with zombies was making it look like too many zombies were spawning in towns, when it was actually a combination of the bandit "zombies" and the actual zombies as well. I just ran through a town with about 30 or so of them chasing me, and I didn;t drop below 45 fps.. That said, my game spawn number settings are on low, and I usually run them on middle or high.

30 chasing my @$$ is fine though!

I'm wondering though how you circumvented a15's "only 8 at a time"? Was that intentional, or dumb luck? If possible I'd like to add that back with a restriction of maybe 20 or so to keep framerates as high as possible.

Here's the most recent build link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5S7s4kfX1Cqpzj5Q

The "only 8 at a time" refers to how many are sent during a horde (which can also be misleading), and is editable in the xml's as are most things.

Ah, that makes more sense now! At "low" settings I'm getting about the right number in a city and in biomes.. certainly far more than we usually see in vanilla on high though.

I'm trying to start our home server using the mods, but it doesn't look like I set it up properly. I backed up the game folder on the server pc, and copied the mods manually into that folder.

I started both gaming pcs, and connected to the server fine, buit I'm not seeing any additional zombies or pois.

I'll try also copying the mods into the main game install folder on the server pc and try again.

the cities use the wasteland_hub biome. None of the prefab spawners are used.

The towns add the extrasmallspawn to some of the prefabs, and use that instead of the spawner set on the prefab. I did change that group to 4 from 2, so look for it and change it back to 2 to reduce the zombies in towns

That goth girl is Mercura, but i changed her from the hoody to a jacket (shes topless underneath :p )

ZombieMercura.jpg

Also, I'm getting closer to finishing my UI icon mod.

Alpha_15_2016-11-28_14-27-43.jpg

Alpha_15_2016-11-28_14-28-35.jpg

Alpha_15_2016-11-28_14-27-32.jpg

Still about 10 main UI icons to add, about 40 icons in total, but not sure if If ill do all of them since some are hard coded to use the UIAtlas so it would only be for optional use as a buff icon, at which point you could just use any icon and specific it in the buffs.xml

The health bar area I'm working on a new statbar thingy that has the health, stam, food,water etc all combined into a single graphic. The ones in the pic was just me messing around so excuse the crappy look ;p

Nice to see I'm not the only one burning the midnight oil!

I'm trying to run the mods on our server using the server manager, and then connect to it locally, but I'm not seeing any of the mod changes at all... no compo buildings, and no new zombies. I',m trying to find a tutorial on runing a server with mods in place, but my gogle fu is weak tonight.

And great.. now I'm, wondering why I haven't seen any topless zombie mods.. LOL!

Hey Stompy.. Someone mentioned these old snow zombies are missing.. any way they can be re added?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?56087-Anyone-Else-Miss-these-guys

The models were deleted from the asset file.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see I'm not the only one burning the midnight oil!

I'm trying to run the mods on our server using the server manager, and then connect to it locally, but I'm not seeing any of the mod changes at all... no compo buildings, and no new zombies. I',m trying to find a tutorial on runing a server with mods in place, but my gogle fu is weak tonight.

And great.. now I'm, wondering why I haven't seen any topless zombie mods.. LOL!

Where are you hosting the server? There's no offical server manager so I'm not sure what you are using specifically. If the server is on your lan or you have ftp access then i'd just copy the files to it manually.

I'm using the server manager in the tools forum. It runs the local server fine. I did manually copy the data folder files to the server system. started a game, and then started both other game systems running the mod manager with the same mods as the server data content folder, but in game I'm not seeing any of the new pois, or and of the new zombies.. or for that matter, no zombies spawnign at all. I even reinstalled the server from steam, bacxked it up and replicated everything again on it and still no dice.

I'll look at is again today.

I also might have had an epiphany last night. We keep looking at the maxcount spawn numbers as a way to ccontrol the number of zombies, but those number don;t add up math wise as to what we are seeing on the screen. (Except the horde waves)

Here's what I think is actually happening, and please LMK if you think I might be on to something:

The pimps put those maxcounts in place for location spawning, but never actually used them with the exception for horde control.

The reason they didn;t add more zombie types, is because they are using the percentage numbers to not only conrol the possibility of seeing specific zombies, but also to control how many we see at any given time.

I think the percentage numbers for all zombies in a group add up to how many we see on screen. For instance, if the snow group has 1 zombie with 50% chance, you see one spawn every other pass on the game looking at spawning in that area. If the snow biome spawning has 4 zombies with a 50% chance, you'd see 4X the number of zombies because the total percent change would be 4x that original 50%.

In the cae of your zombie all, we are seeing a lot more zombies because they multiply the percent cnace of seeing more with each new additional zombie added.

So to actually control them the same way, we reduce the possibility of them all appearing by half. each one still appears the same percent chance as the rest, BUT because the possibility of them appearing is 50% less, we see 50% fewer on screen.

Then the game % setting is restored to its targetted functionality to control the number that are spawned better.

It just didn't make sense that we were reducing a number by 1 or two, and were still seeing 3-5 times as many on screen. Thats whay I kept asking if there was a mulptiplier in place somewhere increasing the number available.

We should still be able to control more rare zombies like the dogs with extremely low percent chances, but the standard zombie fodder probably needs to be halved.

I'll try this today and report what I find.

I'll try the local server thing again.. I've found no tutorial anywhere though using server manager to run mods with it. Guppy is obviously doing it, but I'm not sure which server manager he uses.

A server manager is entirely independent of running mods.

No correlation.

You mentioned installing a mods folder. Are you also copying the files IN the mods folder, over to the /data/config?

Given the mods you're using, only vals should have a mod folder, and that's only for the icons.

Compo and Bad Co /require/ the xmls I'm the data/config folder be overwritten, just as I showed in the video.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?36293-7-Days-to-Die-Tutorials&p=546246&viewfull=1#post546246

I assume the mod manager you're referring to does the swapping, how are you using it on your dedi? Does it even know to put the files in the right place on a dedi, since the destination folder is different from the clients? I've never used it. It's BEST TO JUST COPY the files over.

I stopped using Val's because of a conflict with bad co.

The only ones I'm testing with are compo and my edited bad co.

I copied the entire config folder from my work gaming PC and put that into the installed 7 days server folder to replace it's config folder.

It looks like the server system creates the game world, right? And then it makes sure connected players are in sync with the world, and the player systems do all the grunt work?

I stopped using Val's because of a conflict with bad co.

The only ones I'm testing with are compo and my edited bad co.

I copied the entire config folder from my work gaming PC and put that into the installed 7 days server folder to replace it's config folder.

It looks like the server system creates the game world, right? And then it makes sure connected players are in sync with the world, and the player systems do all the grunt work?

as long as the config and prefabs folders are in the right place on the dedi then it will run the mod, and clients only need the mod installed for the prefabs atm. If they ever get around to fixing that bug (again) then you wont even need that on the client and can just connect with a vanilla client.

For the spawning I know the maxcount setting works for biome spawners. I'll go into detail later (gotta get ready for work)

I had to shelve looking at it today to recover one of our old systems that died here.. and new hard drives aren't formatted properly for being boot drives..AND then you also need to change the drive type.

After replacing the sink today and now doing this, working on the mod is actually playtime! LOL!

I think replacing the bandits with zombies was making it look like too many zombies were spawning in towns, when it was actually a combination of the bandit "zombies" and the actual zombies as well. I just ran through a town with about 30 or so of them chasing me, and I didn;t drop below 45 fps.. That said, my game spawn number settings are on low, and I usually run them on middle or high.

30 chasing my @$$ is fine though!

I'm wondering though how you circumvented a15's "only 8 at a time"? Was that intentional, or dumb luck? If possible I'd like to add that back with a restriction of maybe 20 or so to keep framerates as high as possible.

Here's the most recent build link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5S7s4kfX1Cqpzj5Q

just had a bit of time to check this out.

Unless you've changed it since uploading this version, you still have it set to maxcount=3 on the biome spawners

<biome name="burnt_forest">

<!--

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForest"/>

<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestUMA"/>

-->

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="15" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsSmall" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

</biome>

The vanilla setting for this in most biomes is 1 instead of 3. If you go though and change that to 1 for the biomes you want to reduce then it should be more like vanilla spawn levels.

This is the spawn group for towns (not cities)

<entityspawner name="SpawnExtraSmall"> <!-- TOWN POI SPAWNS -->

<day value="*">

<property name="ResetToday" value="false"/>

<property name="EntityGroupName" value="ZombiesAll"/>

<property name="Time" value="Any"/>

<property name="DelayBetweenSpawns" value="0"/>

<property name="TotalAlive" value="4"/>

<property name="TotalPerWave" value="4"/>

<property name="DaysToRespawnIfPlayerLeft" value="5"/>

<property name="AttackPlayerAtOnce" value="false"/>

</day>

</entityspawner>

change the red text to 2 for vanilla spawn levels.

<entityspawner name="SpawnMedium"><!-- BANDITS -->

<day value="*">

<property name="ResetToday" value="false"/>

<property name="EntityGroupName" value="BanditsThugsRonin"/>

<property name="Time" value="Any"/>

<property name="DelayBetweenSpawns" value="0"/>

<property name="TotalAlive" value="8"/>

<property name="TotalPerWave" value="8"/>

<property name="DaysToRespawnIfPlayerLeft" value="4"/>

<property name="AttackPlayerAtOnce" value="false"/>

</day>

</entityspawner>

change the above red text to use "ZombiesAll", currently you've commented out the entire BanditsThugsRonin group and the game doesnt like empty entitygroups.

This is the spawner used on many PoI's, usually the ones of impotance such as stores, so its best to have something spawn for them.

In "RoamingHordeSpawnDay", find all the "BanditsAll" refences and change them to "ZombiesRoamingMixed", same story with the empty entitygroup as above. (days 3,9,11,17,27). Also day 13 change "ZombiesChickens" to "ZombiesRoamingMixed".

That should remove all bandits and zanimals for you from my current mod version and give you vanilla level's of spawning.

Thanks for looking it over. I had worked on it again, but decided to redo it since I better know what I'm doing now for practice. Editing it side by side with vanilla a15, I could see where you said you tripled spawning. I think I'll dial it back to 2, but not all the way to 1.... And there is a comment in the a15 that the respawn delay should be 1 or more to reduce spawn lag. You had some 0s in there I changed to either 1, or the vanilla respawn number.

I saw use used medium horde spawn for bandits, so I changed that to zombies all as well.

Next thing I want try try is adding one of guppy's new zombies, and then of course to mix one or two of my own.

Just remember, new zombies get added in a few places:

archetypes.xml - The looks of the UMA zombie

entityclasses.xml - The stats for the zombie

...but adding just those two will not make the zombie spawn in game.

entitygroups.xml - The groups that the zombie is in

spawning.xml - Controls what groups spawn where

...and other miscellaneous places, depending on how custom your zombie is. Biff, for instance, has a much stronger punch against blocks, so his "hand" is in items.xml. Other zombies may have special loot, etc...

Thanks for looking it over. I had worked on it again, but decided to redo it since I better know what I'm doing now for practice. Editing it side by side with vanilla a15, I could see where you said you tripled spawning. I think I'll dial it back to 2, but not all the way to 1.... And there is a comment in the a15 that the respawn delay should be 1 or more to reduce spawn lag. You had some 0s in there I changed to either 1, or the vanilla respawn number.

I saw use used medium horde spawn for bandits, so I changed that to zombies all as well.

Next thing I want try try is adding one of guppy's new zombies, and then of course to mix one or two of my own.

There's two different types of spawn delay.

The ones in the biome spawners are the number of days between them respawning (respawndelay). Setting it to 0 means they will never stop coming (i.e. you cant clear an area, kill one and another spawns to take its place). I only use this setting of 0 for night time in cities, and the world border. Both of those places should be end game only, so I would personally leave them at 0.

The PoI spawners and horde spawners (aka entityspawners) have the setting for the number of seconds between each zombie in the group being spawned (<property name="DelayBetweenSpawns" value="0"/>). This is the one to change to stop the hitch you get when say 10 UMA zombies all spawn at once. I found 1 sec to be enough on my system to reduce the hitch significantly. Any longer and you will get cases of seeing a zombie at a PoI, run in to kil it, only to have more zombies spawning around you.

Question.. you've added some of the compo pois in your mod.. in order to add the rest manually, do you create a new modded game folder with yours after adding the compo mod, so your new versions over write the original compo ones?

It sounds like you are fixing them somehow from the description file... or are the fixed ones already updated in the current compo version?

It also sounds like part of my problem was using mod manager for testing my changes in bad company.. I figured it was a quicker tool for testing mods, but its looking like its not really setup for that properly, and that as a result, some issues end up happening. I've redone the entire thing 3 times or more now, and it all looked creat yesterday. I cleaned up everything in mod manager to package it up, recreated the mod combo in mod manager, and then it was completely broken with no new zombies added at all.

I'm going back to just manually making a new mod folder and working on it traditionally. with luck, my last edited xml files will work when dumped into 1.3.1

(Because of the issues I mentioned with mod manager, it looked like the best candidate to put together.)

Did you ever detail your rgw changes? I'm not sure if I should include that as well, or just include the xml changes I'm making on the zombies.

I created a github, but I'm not sure how to use it or upload files to it yet. Ideally, I'd prefer this version of bad company be listed under your page, since its 99% your work anyway.

I want to add some of Guppy's new zombies as well once I'm sure it working properly.

Don't use the mod manager until you've made the changes manually. You're not using 3 mods, you're making ONE mod by converging three... There's a difference.

You're going to have to learn the xmls if you're going to merge them.

Adding new prefabs is simply making sure they are copied over, and adding them to the rwgmixer (the hardest of all xmls).

Some mods are easier to merge than others. Especially if they don't share xmls.

My zombies would be a cinch to add to bad co, because Stompy has really cleaned up the xmls and made them easy to read.

Yeah, I noticed a HUGE difference between vanilla and bad company.. everything is pretty much alphabetical in badco, and vanilla is all over the place.

I took my changed xmls, manually put them into the main game data folder after backing it up, and it played exactly as expected. If nothing else, redoing this 3 or 4 times over gave me excellent experience modding the xmls.

I created a github, but I'm not sure how to use it or upload files to it yet. Ideally, I'd prefer this version of bad company be listed under your page, since its 99% your work anyway.

My github tutorial

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I noticed a HUGE difference between vanilla and bad company.. everything is pretty much alphabetical in badco, and vanilla is all over the place.

I took my changed xmls, manually put them into the main game data folder after backing it up, and it played exactly as expected. If nothing else, redoing this 3 or 4 times over gave me excellent experience modding the xmls.

lol, thats the difference between a programmer writing xml (me) and an artist writing xml (madmole)

Archived