Bad Company

StompyNZ

For biome spawners each line has its own spawner, so if you had say 5 lines, then each would provide a spawn per chunk group (approx 100-150 blocks)

maxcount is the number that it spawns for the area, and the respawndelay is how many days before the spawn happens again.

<biome name="burnt_forest">

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="15" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsSmall" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

</biome>

In the above the group ZombiesBurntForestMixed would spawn 3 zombies in an area (the chunk group, or approx 5x5 chunks from what I've been told, a chunk being 16 blocks square)

It will also spawn 1 AnimalsSmall in the same area every 15 days.

<biome name="burnt_forest">

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="5" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="3" respawndelay="10" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForestMixed"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="15" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsSmall" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

</biome>

With the above you would get 9 ZombiesBurntForestMixed the first time you visted, then after 3 days would get 3 spawns, after 5 days another 3, and after 10 days another 3. If you didnt visit the area for 10 days you would get all 9 at once again.

Cities use the wasteland_hub biome spawner.

Towns use the SpawnExtraSmall spawner. In my latest version has a DelayBetweenSpawns=0, which means all 4 will spawn at once. This can cause a small hitch with the UMA's, so you could change that to 1(seconds) to have it spawn each one with a 1 second delay so its only generating 1 at a time instead of 4 at once.

The same applies to all the the roaming hordes and PoI spawners.

With the PoI spawners you have a lot more options than the biome spawners, but this will all change for a16 as it will all be gamestages instead.

<day value="*">

<property name="ResetToday" value="false"/>

<property name="EntityGroupName" value="ZombiesAll"/>

<property name="Time" value="Any"/>

<property name="DelayBetweenSpawns" value="0"/>

<property name="TotalAlive" value="4"/>

<property name="TotalPerWave" value="4"/>

<property name="DaysToRespawnIfPlayerLeft" value="5"/>

<property name="AttackPlayerAtOnce" value="false"/>

</day>

You can actually have it give different zombies on different days. The vanilla is * for day, which means all days. You can also have it spawn different zombies during the day vs night <property name="Time" value="Any"/>, <property name="Time" value="Day"/>, <property name="Time" value="Night"/>

I plan to have PoI spawners ramp up over time, but will probably wait to see what they add with a16 for gamestages first.

I saw your post from a month ago where you found out that using player instead of zombies reduced memory use and increase framerates (I think) Does that zombie only version of BadCo use that? Thbis infor is outstanding.. if there's a mod wiki, it should be added!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I changed the max alive count and that seemed to cure my overwhelmed issue.. but I'll reread this and see if that needs to be tweaked further. I didn't see that female snow zombie spawn at all, so maybe she wasn't added at this point? Zombie Charlotte would probably fit in there as well, since she has the hood. Ideally, I'd think you would want 6-8 different zombies in an assortment spawning in each biome, with a few unique to that biome. Something I thought about when working on this yesterday, was it would be nice is specific zombies behaved differently in different biomes.. for instance, you lure the snow biome lumberjack into an ajoining desert biome, and he becomes stunned by the heat.

(Probably not possible now, but I'll mention it in the next a16 Q&A.)

I saw your post from a month ago where you found out that using player instead of zombies reduced memory use and increase framerates (I think) Does that zombie only version of BadCo use that? Thbis infor is outstanding.. if there's a mod wiki, it should be added!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I changed the max alive count and that seemed to cure my overwhelmed issue.. but I'll reread this and see if that needs to be tweaked further. I didn't see that female snow zombie spawn at all, so maybe she wasn't added at this point? Zombie Charlotte would probably fit in there as well, since she has the hood. Ideally, I'd think you would want 6-8 different zombies in an assortment spawning in each biome, with a few unique to that biome. Something I thought about when working on this yesterday, was it would be nice is specific zombies behaved differently in different biomes.. for instance, you lure the snow biome lumberjack into an ajoining desert biome, and he becomes stunned by the heat.

(Probably not possible now, but I'll mention it in the next a16 Q&A.)

Yeah they should be set to type=player in the archetypes. You can check by looking at the end of the first line of each archetype.

Dynamic entity changes like that require dll modding which I'm not getting into until they add workshop support and probably after the game is out of beta. You could probably do it with SDX but the delay in release after each alpha puts me off using that for now.

I probably should upload my mod to my website (7days2mod.com) but I've been a bit slack about it and have been meaning to rebuild the entire site, but life and work got in the way.

On the plus side my learning knockoutjs will mean when I finally do rebuild it will be super quick :)

Oh, I hear ya on time issues.. never enough of it. I 3d modelling and digital painting, do costuming, do 3d printing, build scale models and replica props, and game... and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

I was going nuts after setting up two gaming pcs because of a bt dongle issue.. my mouse was acting crazy on my main gaming system I did the changes on, and seeing the small text even on a 82" monitor will make you go blind! Turned out I had a second dongle in, one for a microsoft mouse and kb, and the other one in for another mouse.. so the mouse controls were crossing over each other.

I've also been trying to learn the server operations as well, and setting these up, and trouble shooting one of our older systems that didn;t survive relocation, BUT also had all our media on it, which was a BIG deal for the wife.

My hope this weekend (in addition to stuffing my face with turkey and getting a christmas tree) is to figure out how get the local server system here to add the mods, and then to have both other local systems join it, so all three have the mods working. I don't recall the server tool having options for remote mod setup, so I might have to do that manually on that system... but I haven't been able to look at it this past week because making this work was making me nuts!

Once I figure out if any zombies are missing, and add the stray ones to their biomes, maybe you can look it over and add it as an update to your stand alone zombie version thats up now? (The current version only has two lumberjacks in the snow biome, and I think your full version had a few more if I'm not mistaken.)

Ok, I looked and you have at least 5 zombies spawning in the snow biome, but on day one I proably saw 20-30 total spawns, and all were either the standard lumberjack, or the red plaid shirt lumberjack variant.

(I saw them listed in groups, and the call for them in spawns.)

Do only certain ones spawn on day one, or is there something that could be missing so the other zombies are not in the rotation?

Playing this mod on one of my dedis...

...♥♥♥♥ing deer. :)

I thought he was running away from zombies, but, he was a zombie. Didn't do the growl until I started getting hit. :)

Died.

Later I was killing them, got hit, got infected, found your modified gas station with the bee hives. Whew.

Day 2, loading up, my base is almost done, and I've a good supply of bandit weapons.

Playing this mod on one of my dedis...

...♥♥♥♥ing deer. :)

I thought he was running away from zombies, but, he was a zombie. Didn't do the growl until I started getting hit. :)

Died.

Later I was killing them, got hit, got infected, found your modified gas station with the bee hives. Whew.

Day 2, loading up, my base is almost done, and I've a good supply of bandit weapons.

Heh yeah those zdeer are nasty buggers. Thats what got me on your server while I was looting because I didn't notice it was hostile

Will probably just have them as non zombies when they add Uma animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I looked and you have at least 5 zombies spawning in the snow biome, but on day one I proably saw 20-30 total spawns, and all were either the standard lumberjack, or the red plaid shirt lumberjack variant.

(I saw them listed in groups, and the call for them in spawns.)

Do only certain ones spawn on day one, or is there something that could be missing so the other zombies are not in the rotation?

The spawn groups can be a bit temperamental. They don't always seem to work the way you would expect. The worst issue I noticed was when you had something with very low prob in the middle of the list. The ones below them didn't seem to spawn most of the time.

This is all assuming I'm remembering Kinyajuu's explanation of his "random lists" correctly in the first place, but:

That's because once it's spawned enough zombies, it's done, right?

If you have a list of 30 zombies, and each gets a probability check from top to bottom, and the max is only 5 zombies, chances are that the ones at the bottom of the list ain't gonna get seen.

I would /think/ the best way to handle it is to have the low probability zombies higher on the list, that way the "randomizer" would likely skip those and move to the ones lower on the list.

Ok, what I'm seeing is only the standard lumberjack, and the red plaid lumberjack showing up in the snow biome. Here are the group and spawn settings... they look ok to me, but maybe one of you guys can point out what isn't happening to allow other zombies to spawn in there.

Spawning:

<biome name="snow">

<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesSnow"/>

<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesSnowUMA"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="8" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsAll" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

Entitygroups:

<entitygroup name="ZombiesSnow">

<entity name="snowzombie" prob="0.65"/>

<entity name="zombieRabbit" prob="0"/>

</entitygroup>

<entitygroup name="ZombiesSnowUMA">

<entity name="ZombieSeryphSnow" prob="0.75"/>

<entity name="ZombieHelen" prob="0.65"/>

<entity name="ZombieGrace" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieCharlotte" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieHugh" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieLumberjack" prob="0.45"/>

What does spawndeadchance mean?

If this is too far off the OP, LMK and I'll start a new thread about figuring this out.

Ok, what I'm seeing is only the standard lumberjack, and the red plaid lumberjack showing up in the snow biome. Here are the group and spawn settings... they look ok to me, but maybe one of you guys can point out what isn't happening to allow other zombies to spawn in there.

Spawning:

<biome name="snow">

<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesSnow"/>

<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesSnowUMA"/>

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="8" time="Any" entitygroup="AnimalsAll" spawnDeadChance="0"/>

Entitygroups:

<entitygroup name="ZombiesSnow">

<entity name="snowzombie" prob="0.65"/>

<entity name="zombieRabbit" prob="0"/>

</entitygroup>

<entitygroup name="ZombiesSnowUMA">

<entity name="ZombieSeryphSnow" prob="0.75"/>

<entity name="ZombieHelen" prob="0.65"/>

<entity name="ZombieGrace" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieCharlotte" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieHugh" prob="0.45"/>

<entity name="ZombieLumberjack" prob="0.45"/>

What does spawndeadchance mean?

If this is too far off the OP, LMK and I'll start a new thread about figuring this out.

looks ok to me.

Is there any errors in your output log? it might be something was broken and so things stop loading at a certain point.

The only thing I can think of is in your zombie only version something is preventing the additional zombies from spawning in the snow biome. The groups make sense, and the biome spaning looks right (if I'm reading the syntax right) so maybe there's something missing from the entities file?

If the load order for the mod manager used? I have your mod last, and I'd think it would over write the previous mods. Since the only other ones added are valmod and compo (in that order) maybe something in valmod is preventing other zombie types to spawn in the snow biome?

If I remove valmod and just keep compo, thezombies spawn properly as far as assortment. I'm still getting huge numbers of them though to the point the game can't load grass textures until I get far enough away from them... then things smooth out again.

I know that the pimps changed the max sawn number of zombies with the a15 update because too many slowed the game down too much.. are these spawn numbers (in the zombie only version based on the a14 zombie spawning? if so, that might be the issue. We saw at least 16 an possibly 20 or more spawning at once during the day on day 1. Its like there is a multiplier in play multiplying the base spawning numbers.

Maybe a fix would be to use the entity groups to add the new zombies to the assorment, and then use the vanilla spawing xml to generate them based on the a15 spawning?

(I'm just trying to figure out how to add the new zombies, but not screw up the spawning numbers.)

I'll see if that will works tomorrow... keep the new archtypes, entity classe and entity groups, but keep the vanilla spawning.

EDIT: Yeah it works, but I think because a lot more zombies are available, more spawn as well. If I run on very low, day one is still a challenge. The running cheerleaders were also way too plentiful, so I had to reduce the percentage change of them appearing.

Is the game difficulty a multiplier of the number of potential zombies? Can that be changed?

If you want to look at it, here's my onedrive link

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5L2oI-aD_kKx9BFw

it looks like you have changed the maxcount to 1 in a few biomes. Thats the lowest you can go without completely disabling biome spawning. The bioem spawns will keep on piling up if you keep moving, so if you kill them as you see them rather than running through an area you shouldn't see so many at once as well.

If you havent already you can lower the spawning to 25% which will give you a further reduction.

One thing that comes to mind, are you playing this on Navez or random gen? It's not really setup for navez as I used one of the town biomes for a world border biome that has massive amounts of spawns.

Also did you lower the UMA Texture setting? My machine with 16gb ram can handle about 30 UMA at once before I see a significant FPS drop (and can handle over 100 without crashing) with it on medium.

I lowered overall texture quality, but not Uma texture quality.

The spawning file is the vanilla a15 one from pimps. I lowered the game difficulty spawning to very low, which is manageable on day one. God forbid anyone tries this on night 49!

I had to delete the additional animals in groups, as even with a spawn possibility of zero, I still saw a zombie stag and a rabbit.

The vanilla pimp's spawning though did cure the overpopulation issue o was getting, and it looks like those settings are multipliers, but they are already pretty low numbers.

I am staying in an area picking them off one by one, but it's like the numbers in the hordes sizes are being multiplied by the number of available zombies. It's almost always non stop spawning without break... I was lucky to pick up enough feathers, wood and stone to keep up with them.

I got to first night, and things seemed pretty quiet outside with no heat going on.

Ideally, I'd want people to be able to use the game spawn percents. As it is now, anything over very low is probably only possible with more players.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and does anyone actually even play Navez after 2 weeks? There's no fun to me in just playing a static map over and over again.

Ok, more experimentingwith the funpimps spawn file.. it *looks* like only 8 zombies should be spawned at any given time to reduce resource load.. but combining it with the badco extra zombie file affects something that multiplies how many you see. I counted no less than 16, next to a large building that sounded like it had another 10 or more.

Am I missing a multiplier somewhere that allows mutliple groups to spawn its max number adding to the total combined active? The spawning percents have multiplication built into them to ramp difficulty, but I'd think medium at 100% would be the max available, with the highter percent spawning more.

Ok, more experimentingwith the funpimps spawn file.. it *looks* like only 8 zombies should be spawned at any given time to reduce resource load.. but combining it with the badco extra zombie file affects something that multiplies how many you see. I counted no less than 16, next to a large building that sounded like it had another 10 or more.

Am I missing a multiplier somewhere that allows mutliple groups to spawn its max number adding to the total combined active? The spawning percents have multiplication built into them to ramp difficulty, but I'd think medium at 100% would be the max available, with the highter percent spawning more.

Interesting, as I have noticed many zombies around buildings even with LOW spawn settings on. I think with the reduced spawn rate we could have options a touch higher and overall be happy with the result..

Around the buildings it uses the PoI spawners (for rural and wilderness, not for town/city)

Those depend on which building it is, the class called is set on each individual prefab. You can get both biome spawns, and prefab spawns at the same time, as well as roaming hordes.

Overall BadCompany is meant to be more challenging with more zombies. I never liked how sparse the vanilla world was as running endless distances with very few zombies was boring to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, as I have noticed many zombies around buildings even with LOW spawn settings on. I think with the reduced spawn rate we could have options a touch higher and overall be happy with the result..

The PoI spawners should still obey the game settings for zombie multiplier. On 50% you should only see 5 bandits instead of 10 at the medium spawn PoI's for exampe.

The PoI spawners should still obey the game settings for zombie multiplier. On 50% you should only see 5 bandits instead of 10 at the medium spawn PoI's for exampe.

Hmmm, I swear that vanilla game on LOW settings I had like 2/3 zombies around a house before. Now same settings with mod I can get like 5/6 UMA zombies easily.

Archived