Sign in to follow this  
StompyNZ

Bad Company

If you have only one hub on the map players will spawn at 0,0 every time, but with multiple hubs its random from what I've seen.
A hub is the center of a cell, right..? There are of course tons. I also have plastered the wasteland with cities, if that's what you mean, there are 12 city hubs. My 0|0 is empty atm, or better, there is a custom layout with just roads, but no buildings. Works fine, here's the biome spawn rules:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0,0.1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="0,500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
		<biome_generator range="0.1,0.2"/>
		<distance_from_center range="500,2500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city">
		<biome_generator range="0.2,0.3"/>
		<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>
		<distance_from_center range="3500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
		<biome_generator range="0.4,0.5"/>
		<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
		<biome_generator range="0.5,0.6"/>
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
		<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
		<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,0.9"/>
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<biome_generator range="0.9,0.95"/>
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<biome_generator range="0.95,1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

plus the tweak for the rings, if that is necessary. Works everytime, I spawned at 0|0 at least 50 times when testing, and never anywhere else.

I could add non player spawning on the wastelands destroyed stone, but that will probably just mean you spawn on a piece of trash or some other block in there instead. Long term adding no player spawn to any non terrain could work, and exclude destroyed stone as well.
If I couldn't get it working, my first experiment would be to add the property name="CanPlayersSpawnOn" value="false" to every block. Game would have to force a spawnpoint and most likely, it'd be 0|0. Question is what happens when you die or quit and continue a game.

Anyways, the ringworld-thingy works.

It is an easy change to adjust the centeral wasteland area.

Look for this bit at the bottom of the rwgmixer.xml and adjust to your tastes:

<distance_from_center range="0,2400"/>

<biome_generator range="0,0.10"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

My preferance is to have a large area of wasteland at the map center, but if thats not your style just reduce the 2400 (thats how many blocks from 0,0 the wasteland will extend) or remove the distance_from_center line entirely to not have a wasteland only center.

lol, I kinda like shoud "pay attention" or sumthin.. :-D

Try making it 0,2500, I see no reason why that should not work. Hm, maybe it is also because I have that "city"-biome beyond the wasteland, maybe a player can't spawn their either. So maybe it has to be more than 2500 blocks out, but surely no more than 3500.

Edit: Just tried this:

<biome_spawn_rules>

<biome_generator range="0,0.2"/>
		<distance_from_center range="0,2500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.2,0.4"/>
		<distance_from_center range="2500,4500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule

Works fine. Only 1 test though, spawning nicely at 0|0.

Edited by Kubikus (see edit history)

A hub is the center of a cell, right..? There are of course tons. I also have plastered the wasteland with cities, if that's what you mean, there are 12 city hubs. My 0|0 is empty atm, or better, there is a custom layout with just roads, but no buildings. Works fine, here's the biome spawn rules:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city">
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.4,0.5"/>
		<distance_from_center range="4500,5500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.5,0.6"/>
		<distance_from_center range="5500,6500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
		<distance_from_center range="6500,7500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
		<distance_from_center range="7500,8500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
		<biome_generator range="0.8,0.9"/>
		<distance_from_center range="8500,9500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">
		<biome_generator range="0.9,0.95"/>
		<distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
		<biome_generator range="0.95,1"/>
		<distance_from_center range="10500,12500"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		<distance_from_center range="12500,20000"/>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

plus the tweak for the rings, if that is necessary. Works everytime, I spawned at 0|0 at least 50 times when testing, and never anywhere else.

If I couldn't get it working, my first experiment would be to add the property name="CanPlayersSpawnOn" value="false" to every block. Game would have to force a spawnpoint and most likely, it'd be 0|0. Question is what happens when you die or quit and continue a game.

Anyways, the ringworld-thingy works.

As I suspected, its not the biomes causing you to spawn at 0,0. There must be something else in your rwgmixer that is causing that. I used the rules you posted above and it spawned me at 1267n 3301e in the burnt forest.

what is your generation_distance set to? because changing that to allow for only one hub/cell at the center is the only way I have seen that spawns you at 0,0

As I suspected, its not the biomes causing you to spawn at 0,0. There must be something else in your rwgmixer that is causing that. I used the rules you posted above and it spawned me at 1267n 3301e in the burnt forest.

what is your generation_distance set to? because changing that to allow for only one hub/cell at the center is the only way I have seen that spawns you at 0,0

You're right, only the biome-spawn-rule is not what gets it done, you also need this:

ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1000" cell_offset="0" generation_distance="10000"

cell_size reduced from 1800, cell_offset down from 0.6.

Will do some more testing, if it's even connected to the wasteland..

Edit: This will spawn you outside 0|0, with the ruleset unchanged from the code above:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

Edit 2: As expected, cell-offset is not the issue, so it must be the combination of disallowed biome and cell-size. Now experimenting what size the cell has to be.

And Edit 3: I spawn at 0|0 with a cell size of 1250, and do not spawn at 0|0 with a cell size of 1300. So the magic point is somehwere between these numbers.

I have no theory why that's so, but what comes to mind is that the previewer shows a number of cells instead of a range.

Fortunately, I like small cells, but if you like the big unz, I guess we have to just wait and see if the devs put in definable spawnpoints or programming gurus will provide us with the option.

Edited by Kubikus (see edit history)

reading through the dll, it essentially tries to get a valid spawn point 50 times, and if that fails then it uses the default which is vector 0.

I'm not entirely sure as I dont want to spend all day reading the dll for this, but I think it generates up to 50 spawn points then stores those for the save game.

What determines if it's valid is based on the distance (aka magnitude) of the randomly generated vector3 and a min and max distance,

What exactly the min and max values come from I'm not sure, but I would expect 0 and generation_distance to be the likely default values.

I dont see anything considering biomes in the spawn point generation, so I would be surprised if biomes had anything to do with it, with the exception of maybe certain biomes (like the city biome) being an invalid biome to spawn in (I didnt see anything to support biomes being considered at all tho)

Wish that xml worked.
The one I pasted..? It's incomplete, but I can make you a working one if that's what you wish.

Spawning at 0,0 I think might caused by the game attempting to spawn a player in the wasteland, tho not 100% sure. It 100% happens when you set the world tot be totally covered by wasteland/wasteland_hub or city_wasteland. You get a warning that player was spawned at wrong position and you appear at 0,0 with usually a missing or partially missing hub buildings.

It may have something to do with addition in A15 that should prevent you from spawning in the wasteland. Still this does not work all the time, I sometimes just spawn in a wasteland, even in vanilla RWG settings.

The one I pasted..? It's incomplete, but I can make you a working one if that's what you wish.

No sir, the one that's stuffed in the randomgen folder, spawnpoints.xml I think?

No sir, the one that's stuffed in the randomgen folder, spawnpoints.xml I think?
Yes. It should work, it's quite a common desire by serveradmins. When the devs will work on modding support, I'll bring this to their attention. Among a few other things.

- - - Updated - - -

Spawning at 0,0 I think might caused by the game attempting to spawn a player in the wasteland, tho not 100% sure. It 100% happens when you set the world tot be totally covered by wasteland/wasteland_hub or city_wasteland. You get a warning that player was spawned at wrong position and you appear at 0,0 with usually a missing or partially missing hub buildings.

It may have something to do with addition in A15 that should prevent you from spawning in the wasteland. Still this does not work all the time, I sometimes just spawn in a wasteland, even in vanilla RWG settings.

My post #378 sums up my findings: Have wasteland within a radius of 2500 blocks around the center and have the cells of a maximum size of 1250-1300. I assume that if you made the cells bigger, you have to have a larger radius, but didn't experiment with it, since I like small cells, because I have 80% rural hubs.

Yes. It should work, it's quite a common desire by serveradmins. When the devs will work on modding support, I'll bring this to their attention. Among a few other things.

- - - Updated - - -

My post #378 sums up my findings: Have wasteland within a radius of 2500 blocks around the center and have the cells of a maximum size of 1250-1300. I assume that if you made the cells bigger, you have to have a larger radius, but didn't experiment with it, since I like small cells, because I have 80% rural hubs.

I have 100% rural hubs, except for the central city which is a 4 block tiny city. I have 1250 wasteland_hub in the center, cells of 1350. Going down in cell size usually results in 0,0 spawn and that yellow warning, but with some biome testing I made ALL of the world become wasteland/wasteland_hub/city_wasteland and some other biomes. Only with the wasteland biomes and cell size that does not give the error on a normal world I had 100% 0,0 spawns and that warning. Perhaps its the small cell size combined with a central wasteland that causes it, as I often spawn right at or near the border of my central wasteland.

So it seems TFP won't be working much to fix the issues with UMA zombies, and are just adding more regular types.

Kinda sucks out the motivation to want to work on the mod. I guess I'll focus on my new job for a bit and consider picking up this if I get bored at some point.

Well that's too bad. Was really looking forward to seeing your other ideas unfold with this mod, Stompy.

Hope you change your mind at some point!

Well that's too bad. Was really looking forward to seeing your other ideas unfold with this mod, Stompy.

Hope you change your mind at some point!

I'll probably be working on it still, just not as much as I would have been.

I have a lot of stuff to learn for my new job, using C# which I only learnt a couple months ago, and knockout.js which I learnt last week :)

Ooo. Well lots of applicable and marketable skills.

Forgot to mention last week, congrats on the new job, Stompy.

I'll try and dink around with your mod over the next little while as I was before and see if I can add minor .xml changes that I can "borrow" from other public mods. I've been studying how you place your scripts in for easier transitions during updates... But I may have to bug you with some questions.

I think Bad Company can still be the super mod everyone hopes for with a few more content upgrades.

Wow, this mod adds a lot. I think it might be too much for the wife though. Is there a relatively easy way to add just the zombies and the new pois? I think I could convince her to play with those in place.

I'm amazed how much you've added the pimps didn't take advantage of and add themselves. I kept reading how much diversity uma was supposed to be able to add, byut then I only saw like 10 types of zombies, which just didn't seem right to me.

This isn't my first rodeo, but this will be the first mod I add to 7 days, so I'll need to research mod tools n such. We have a third pc running the server here, and are then joining that here locally with two new gaming pcs.

I'll read a bit more and see if I can figure out how doeable itr is to just add the zombies and pois to the vanilla game.

Thanks for all the hard work making this available!

I have noticed a little slowness and that I get a lot of messages saying "Setting and getting IK Goals, Lookat and BoneLocalRotation should only be done in OnAnimatorIK or OnStateIK" on the client side. Is this normal for this mod?

Love the mod. Bandits change the dynamic quite a bit.

I have noticed a little slowness and that I get a lot of messages saying "Setting and getting IK Goals, Lookat and BoneLocalRotation should only be done in OnAnimatorIK or OnStateIK" on the client side. Is this normal for this mod?

Love the mod. Bandits change the dynamic quite a bit.

yeah thats normal. Something TFP hadn't finished coding with the entityNPC code

Wow, this mod adds a lot. I think it might be too much for the wife though. Is there a relatively easy way to add just the zombies and the new pois? I think I could convince her to play with those in place.

I'm amazed how much you've added the pimps didn't take advantage of and add themselves. I kept reading how much diversity uma was supposed to be able to add, byut then I only saw like 10 types of zombies, which just didn't seem right to me.

This isn't my first rodeo, but this will be the first mod I add to 7 days, so I'll need to research mod tools n such. We have a third pc running the server here, and are then joining that here locally with two new gaming pcs.

I'll read a bit more and see if I can figure out how doeable itr is to just add the zombies and pois to the vanilla game.

Thanks for all the hard work making this available!

The main thing is to look in entitygroups.xml and remove the lines in the 'Mixed' groups that have bandits on them. Also search the spawning.xml for bandit and change to zombies for example MediumSpawn has BanditsThugsRonin, change to ZombiesAll and RoamingHordeSpawnDay change BanditsAll to ZombiesRoamingMixed where it appears, you can lave the PoI bandit section as those arn't in use yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooo. Well lots of applicable and marketable skills.

Forgot to mention last week, congrats on the new job, Stompy.

I'll try and dink around with your mod over the next little while as I was before and see if I can add minor .xml changes that I can "borrow" from other public mods. I've been studying how you place your scripts in for easier transitions during updates... But I may have to bug you with some questions.

I think Bad Company can still be the super mod everyone hopes for with a few more content upgrades.

Happy to help :)

I've had a bit of time to vent and cool off about their direction, so will no doubt keep working on this. It will mostly be on weekends now as coding all day drains my brain a bit much to work on xml's at night ;)

Well this is fantastic news, Stompy. Glad to hear that you're back in the saddle.

Even weekend progress is still progress!

Perhaps set up a PayPal donation service too? I'm sure there are plenty out there that would like to contribute to the cause.

great news! i was also quite disheartened to hear they were going a different direction... personaly i find there choice to be very lackluster.

not to be critical or anything, but, rather then refining a design choice to make it more optamized, they instead decided to stick with static models. and i personaly think this more easily modifiable option gives a far greater varity too the game world. why do you think i use your mod and stick with it? :D

that said, lets hope they dont get rid of UMA zombies Entierly. i would very much like to keep the option to stay playing with this mod for as needs be :3

I'm getting close to finishing the UIAtlas overhaul I wanted to do, (about 50 icons left to do). Taking a lot more effort than I had anticipated.

After that is done I'll push on with Bad Company v 1.4, and will add a non bandit option as a download for those that dont want them in the current state, and maybe a melee bandit only option.

I wont be adding friendly survivors until the code works better. I think I shot the first 3-4 I saw on guppys server because they annoyed me :p

Are there any requests for features to be added? No promises but I'm happy to look at things if they dont require huge amounts of work.

Edited by StompyNZ (see edit history)

Well only feature i ask to be added is, a zombies only pack, that adds these uniqe variants to the default generation. :D would love to encounter some warlords on my horde nights on the vanila world i got.