Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

Came for the UI, stayed for the gameplay.

So after playing the mod for 35 (two hour) days, I'm ready to give you my limited feedback. Mind though that I was playing v2.2.04 (stable) and some issues might be outdated.

The main selling point is obviously the user interface, which is really stunning. I was expecting to see just another mod with a cool UI, but boy I was wrong. The gameplay changes kept pleasing me. Initially I was skeptical about the inventory 'weight' concept ("yeah, whatever"), but quickly felt it was the only true way to play. It is just better than vanilla in every way. Also I'm very glad 'learn by doing' came back without sacrificing the perk system and without adding 'spam crafting'. I was so missing the 'you gained a point in athletics' messages :) I wonder is it possible to adjust the message to tell us the current skill value. "You gained a point in athletics (now 23)".

I'm glad to hear you intend to give some love to cooking and farming too. Food is extremely easy both here and in vanilla. Just don't give food any more buffs, with all the buffs/perks/skills/gear the player is already OP. Maybe make the opposite: if you don't eat meat regularly, your strength drops, if you don't eat fat your weather insulation suffers, if you don't eat sugar (honey) you get -1 intellect, if you don't drink alcohol from time to time you get depression (-10% experience gain), something like that. That would encourage the player to diversify his food. Some use for snowberry maybe. I don't know your plans for farming, but increasing growth cycle would be the obvious first step.

I think you need some F.A.Q. either here on the first page, or better ingame (journal entries?). The new players ask all the same questions. Maybe make a quest line about research (the hardest question to figure out).

I like the research system (reverse engineering). The problem is, it is much easier to loot or buy the needed item than to research and craft it. It is not exactly your mod's problem, the vanilla game has taken the direction from crafting to looting for quite some time now. Maybe it isn't necessarily bad, just I feel all those new researching and crafting mechanics you have added are kinda underutilized.

All these new vehicles are nice, just not my cup of tea, I'm still driving my motorcycle. But I still haven't found the gas schematics. Day 35, constantly checking all five traders, looting-looting-looting, completed 16 of 19 book series and no gas schematics. You said the gas recipe is rare, but come on! Maybe just bad luck.

I'm also saddened that this mod is not supposed to be played without traders (or so it seems). You said that some vehicles are 'buy only', and I suspect some other gear too. Is it true? I dislike the trader gameplay and usually generate no trader map with nitrogen. This time I played in Navezgane with traders, but I'd love an opportunity to play this mod without traders.

Further are some minor questions/bugs/suggestions:

- I found out that gun turrets accept any ammo, does it affect its damage (like .38 HP vs 7.92mm AP)?
- Can we have a different icon for dart trap ammo?
- Also can we have the encumbrance bar of a more different color than stamina bar? I have trouble telling them apart.
- Maybe a center line on the compass?
- I'm looting much more "light armor parts" than "steel armor parts". Currently in my storage 174 light parts vs 10 steel parts.
- Bulk crafting ammo, is it removed? The books still mention it.
- Can't report 'nail some chicks' quest to a trader.
- I have the impression TFP made it so when comparing weapons/gear, mods don't affect numbers, but in your game I have to remove all the mods to compare two items.
- Also is it possible to show the vehicle info when I'm about to buy or to craft one? Currently I just spawn it with creative menu to check the speed/cargo.
- Carpenter axe (S tier) has only 3 slots and no dye slot. Also maybe repair it with a repair kit? I keep forgetting to take the two iron plating with me when going chopping trees.
- Make snakes venomous, add anti-venom?
- Make wetness matter again?
- I found a 'small backpack', that is a really cool concept, but it was the only backpack I found, I can see there are many more in creative menu, are they so super rare? Much too rare it seems.
- I found 'organic waste' with no use, is it a place holder for future farming improvement?

I hope my feedback was helpful, all above is IMHO obviously, you make the mod how you see it, definitely you know what you are doing.

Edited by unlike them (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, Iirlyaccess said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep your hotbar from hiding? I personally don't mind it. But nearly everyone on my server is asking for a way to keep the hotbar unhidden.  If it's not possibly to do that, its cool. 

Options -> Video -> User Interface -> Auto Hide Toolbelt    I believe that's what you're looking for?  Just change to disable.  Cheers

2 hours ago, eXSe said:

Is there a way to integrate locking inventory slots so that they are not moved or rearranged when I transfer stuff or sort my inventory? Maybe it's already in but I'm just blind :)

It's currently not in the mod, but there are plans, can't say when or how, but locking slots is planned.

OK, I can't believe I have to ask this but there is simply no information on Google.  Can you pick a station back up?  In the opening quest, are the carpenter's tables just permanently in the initial spot and you have to build another one from scratch if you want to use one?  I'm used to Ravenhearst's personal workbench where you destroy to return to your inventory, but these just break into pieces.  It would be awesome if there were any mention anywhere in the game, journal or item description, one way or the other.

Thanks

On 11/14/2020 at 3:18 AM, Ryan said:

I'm also running the Bdub's vehicle mod, though. Its entirely broken due to the fuel system.

Is there a way to enable these vehicles for this mod? So that they can be fueled? 

Otherwise i'll have to get rid of it. 

Hi Ryan, regarding your question, this goes for most overhaul mods, try asking the mods creator (in this case Bdubyah) to make a version of their mod for UL or you can look into making the edit yourself..... going this way, either don't publish it, or ask permission to and always credit the owner 😃

7 hours ago, Zyamaia said:

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem with mushroom plants disappearing?

The last harvestable stage requires crop plots for them not to disappear, I will later edit the first seedling stage so that you can't plop them anywhere (forgot to do that)

6 hours ago, frinetik said:

Can you pick a station back up?

Yes, within a land claim block area, but you need an artisans station to craft the land claim block, the first tier carpenters table is cheap to make, don't get too fussy about it. And this is not Ravenhearst, don't expect me to do things you see in other mods, because I have no intensions for players to carry around workstations in their backpack, it defeats their purpose. 😛

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Subquake said:

Yes, within a land claim block area, but you need an artisans station to craft the land claim block, the first tier carpenters table is cheap to make, don't get too fussy about it. And this is not Ravenhearst, don't expect me to do things you see in other mods, because I have no intensions for players to carry around workstations in their backpack, it defeats their purpose. 😛

OK, I swear I saw games4kickz somehow manage it (he was also in cheat mode) and couldn't find a single mention one way or another.  I don't expect mods to work the same at all as RH at all.  After all, I'm not already hiding in an attic weeping, with basically every debuff!  That's just another old school mod and one that Jax changed from 16.4.  Change is good, it's why I have like 4300 @#%!ing hours logged on this game.

I just wish there was something that made it clear like a journal entry at some point, but then again I'm reading all the time people not knowing how to pick up stations in vanilla either, in another group I watch.  Everything still in flux, I know.  I definitely appreciate the quick response, and so far the mod is looking very fun with a sharp UI!  I'll stop wasting time puzzling over this one.

Edited by frinetik (see edit history)

@frinetik the version kickz was checking out was an older version, where destroying the station gave it back, but that was changed with POIs having a chance to spawn some of them custom workstations in a working conditions, it had to be changed, otherwise you could have smashed them and take them to your base.

40 minutes ago, chikorina said:

Hello,  is there a way to disable autohide for the toolbelt?  Setting it to disabled in the settings hides the toolbelt completely for me,  so it doesn't show even when I scroll through the slots.

If you are on the latest version of the mod, set it to disabled, exit the save, then reload or rejoin server

11 minutes ago, Subquake said:

If you are on the latest version of the mod, set it to disabled, exit the save, then reload or rejoin server

Or, alternatively, set the autohide to 30secs, apply, back out menu and change your weapon/tool so that the toolbelt shows then go back into the UI settings and choose disable. Gives you a full 30secs to change it and worked fine for me!  Cheers

17 hours ago, stone00 said:

Hi Ryan, regarding your question, this goes for most overhaul mods, try asking the mods creator (in this case Bdubyah) to make a version of their mod for UL or you can look into making the edit yourself..... going this way, either don't publish it, or ask permission to and always credit the owner 😃

I mean, I am obviously asking to see if there's a way to include the said mod in a way. (I am not a scripting/coding god, so its like asking if there's a simple edit.)

But i've long gotten rid of it seeing there wasn't a response. 

On 11/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, unlike them said:

But I still haven't found the gas schematics. Day 35, constantly checking all five traders, looting-looting-looting, completed 16 of 19 book series and no gas schematics. You said the gas recipe is rare, but come on! Maybe just bad luck.

Got it at trader stash+2 day 14 (also 120m) GS 51 

My "where the hell is it" was small engine. Already got a car, and still didn't found/salvaged engine for minibike :)

Im not a big fan of new loot system, but Iv read what the are planning for future and it looks good.

18 minutes ago, aY227 said:

(..) read what the are planning for future and it looks good.

Yup, loot overhaul is coming and is among top of my to do lists. Most of it works pretty much like in vanilla with some additional items thrown in the mix, but I myself hate the new tiered loot system the way it's currently implemented in vanilla, thus a major overhaul to it will be inevitable, hopefully sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Ralf8989 said:

trying to download the new version of your mod on https://7daystodiemods.com/subquakes-undead-legacy/    but for some reason it wont work for me ... don't know if anyone have had the same problem  ...thx for a great mod

1 hour ago, Hapidedurva said:

yep, not working

I'm gonna need more than than "not working", be more specific, what is not working? you can't launch the mod? you can't join the server, you can't load the save? what? Remember, it requires A19.2b4 (not experimental A19.3b3), and EAC must be off.

Also, that's not a legitimate source of Undead Legacy: https://7daystodiemods.com/subquakes-undead-legacy/
That website is running ads and spews out warnings about me using ad blocker, I don't have any ads on my website and will not have ads on it ever, I don't endorse third party websites, that without my consent added the mod to their listing and try to make money out of that, the only legitimate source of the mod is through this forum original post or my website: https://ul.subquake.com/wiki/Download

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)