Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

So, what's the new goal? Be done by A20 that will hopefully be out in 2022? ;)

Might be sooner than that, for sure :)

Greetings. We are with you and we are waiting. All these A versions go to hell. That's when your mod comes out - the game will shine. )

I really hope so!

Subquake don’t let anyone get you down. We know it’s a work of passion and we will be ready when your done.

Thanks, it means a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
Another day, another nothing... :(

When you make a post like this do you stop, even for a second, to consider how rude it is?

I understand that people want to be hands on with this mod but I don’t think you fully grasp the amount of work that goes into a project of this magnitude.

Not to demean those kind of mods but this is not some new smelting slot, a bigger backpack or some new plants or guns we are talking about here. A project like this is a massive undertaking, and it is all done by one man nonetheless... on his free time!

If anything he needs encouragement, and not snide remarks like this.

So please, be patient and respectful, it will come when it’s ready...

When you make a post like this do you stop, even for a second, to consider how rude it is?

I understand that people want to be hands on with this mod but I don’t think you fully grasp the amount of work that goes into a project of this magnitude.

Not to demean those kind of mods but this is not some new smelting slot, a bigger backpack or some new plants or guns we are talking about here. A project like this is a massive undertaking, and it is all done by one man nonetheless... on his free time!

If anything he needs encouragement, and not snide remarks like this.

So please, be patient and respectful, it will come when it’s ready...

Sorry, but. this mod is on alpha 16, it has been several years already and we already have alpha 18 and this mod is not even on alpha 17. I think it will not be at all because by then alpha 19 will be released

Sorry, but. this mod is on alpha 16, it has been several years already and we already have alpha 18 and this mod is not even on alpha 17. I think it will not be at all because by then alpha 19 will be released

Doesn’t change my point of view. These things take time, a lot of time. As a mod author myself I have some first hand experience with this, and I just make a measly UI mod which compared to this project is a walk in the park.

Keep in mind that what he shows you is what he considers shippable, what he doesn’t show you are the 2, 3, 4+ attempts before landing on that decision, that design. You all need to take that time into consideration too.

Also keep in mind that this work is done on the free time, mod authors do have a life to attend to also.

Please, don't even go there. I don't know how far back you read, but Subquake is doing everthing in his power to bring Undead Legacy to the masses. This mod is (or rather used to be) a passion project, not a full time job. Development takes time, it's not just hacking in a bit of code, it's finding out what changes you want in the first place, see if they're feasible, then coding, then testing, then balancing, then some more bug fixing usually. And not just for one feature, but for loads of them. Then you need sounds, icons, maybe even custom animations and whatnot.

As a modder for other games, I can tell you that is nice to see people eargerly waiting for your mod to release, but I wholeheartedly agree with Sirillion on this one: It will come when it's ready.

If you want to speed things up, ask how you can help (if Subquake needs/wants any help) instead. But please don't be that person who nags all the time, that is not helpful, sorry.

And I don't mean to point a finger at you personally, it would be nice if the whole thread could refrain from "Sooo, undead legacy in 2045, anyone????" posts.

Sirillion is right about multiple attempts, a lot of stuff is scrapped and never end up shown on the forums, only my backers know the full story behind development of the mod, my struggles (including real life problems) and challenges that come along the way.

The stuff I post here is what I consider worthy of showing, if it's even possible to show visually, because non mod makers among you, who are waiting for the next version wouldn't even understand my techno babble about what code I have changed/added/improved, how is it better or different from vanilla etc, heck I sometimes don't understand some of the bullet points of TFP patch notes for the game.

Undead Legacy for A16 I worked on for about two years on and off, real life problems, struggles and lack of free time stretches that time, that's just life, I don't live in my moms basement and don't code 24/7, I'm a human being :D

With A17 TFP changed a lot of code how item properties and effects are defined in XML, on top of that I learned during A17 how to do SDX modding - changing the base code of the game in the .dll game files beyond what normal XML mods can do, and learning and understanding how the game works and how can I change it takes time.

Now with A18 I'm in the process of working on updating all the stuff I did during A17 for A18 and TFP have changed quite a bit of backend code for the game, that's not even mentioned in the patch notes nowhere, so that's a challenge on its own.

My backers know how far I'm at updating the mod for A18, everyone else just have to be patient, it will be released when it's ready. Just remember, I'm working on an ever changing early access game and I have to keep up with all the changes that TFP do with XML and backend code for the game.

My personal opinion is that I can criticize the work of others only in one case - if right now I can do better. In all other cases, it is permissible to either support (with advice, respect, admiration), or shut up and go your own way.

Subquake, there are guys who breathed new life into the game "The X-Com", creating interesting mods "X-Files" and "X-Piratez". A 1993-1995 game that is again interesting to play in 2019.

So you can take your time, according to the experience of playing A-16 with your mod, interest will play even if you finish in 2025. )

• 3 weeks later...
Happy holidays my 7dtd friends

Happy to you as well!

Subquake your doing a great job.. don't let these boneheads bring u down... If they don't like how long it takes maybe they should go make there own mod and we can bash them for how long its taking...

My personal opinion is that I can criticize the work of others only in one case - if right now I can do better. In all other cases, it is permissible to either support (with advice, respect, admiration), or shut up and go your own way.

Subquake, there are guys who breathed new life into the game "The X-Com", creating interesting mods "X-Files" and "X-Piratez". A 1993-1995 game that is again interesting to play in 2019.

So you can take your time, according to the experience of playing A-16 with your mod, interest will play even if you finish in 2025. )

Anyone who has been around playing 7 days for a while probably know by now about how long TFP can take to release major updates to the game and I really appreciate all the patience of anyone waiting for the next UL version to come out for A18+.

Some things came up in my life, specifically mid October I finally found someone for hire to help me with my apartment renovations and since then till now I had to postpone UL until some of the essential stuff had to be taken care of (because i also live in the same apartment where renovations take place and that always bring certain set of inconveniences along with it). Anyhow, point is, I barely was on my PC all this time and only recently, I've started to catch up with things this week, so I'll be resuming work on UL any day now, I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding the latest mod for A18

Hey I havent been following you for too long but when I installed your mode for the last alpha it supported I was blown away by how many little fine details you added. I was almost like you released Alpha 18 in compatibility mode for A16 lol all joking aside, I've been waiting too, but hopefully once you get the next one completed. Its just as amazing as the last one.

Anyone who has been around playing 7 days for a while probably know by now about how long TFP can take to release major updates to the game and I really appreciate all the patience of anyone waiting for the next UL version to come out for A18+.

Some things came up in my life, specifically mid October I finally found someone for hire to help me with my apartment renovations and since then till now I had to postpone UL until some of the essential stuff had to be taken care of (because i also live in the same apartment where renovations take place and that always bring certain set of inconveniences along with it). Anyhow, point is, I barely was on my PC all this time and only recently, I've started to catch up with things this week, so I'll be resuming work on UL any day now, I hope.

• 3 weeks later...