Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

He does have a Point though & so do you, Which is why it would of been prudent to pick a version & finish it for that rather than set yourself the impossible task of the current game version changing & you trying to keep up with it.....

Make ready for 17.4 & then while getting feed back from people update it to alpha 18 & wait for Beta or alpha 19 before updating again.. That way your not fighting against ever changing code most of which your mod will circumvent anyway lol..

...that was funny though... :)

It was, wasn't it :D

He does have a Point though & so do you, Which is why it would of been prudent to pick a version & finish it for that rather than set yourself the impossible task of the current game version changing & you trying to keep up with it.....

Make ready for 17.4 & then while getting feed back from people update it to alpha 18 & wait for Beta or alpha 19 before updating again.. That way your not fighting against ever changing code most of which your mod will circumvent anyway lol..

The things I coded in Undead Legacy during A17 are the things, that I have been wanting to see in the game for 3+ years, I just couldn't hold myself back of not doing it, since I'm a programmer by profession. With A16.4 I had to do all sorts of xml sorcery and workarounds just to get stuff to work and I was never truly happy about the results. I try to avoid to work on stuff, that TFP are working on as much as I can, but A17 dropped a big one on me, it's no longer the game I loved in A16 and before, it's completely different, so I had to do something about it.

The two most annoying things, that were changed were lack of action skills and zombie loot with loot in general being even further simplified with A17, those things directly crossed paths with what UL was great for in A16 and I'm still in the process of addressing player progression and looting as I write this message.

And something of note, that I don't want to talk much about is that even though I don't have a huge amount of support on my patreon for the development of this mod, I did decide to quit my job this summer in July, which is why you have seen massive burst of progress on the mod in the last months. Problem was, I was too busy with work all spring, I had barely any energy left after hard days at work and there was almost no major progress done during that time and I hated that so much, because of how much I love this game, my passion on improving it, learning about game programming and making in general with hopes of one day working on my own game at some point.

Massive shoutout for all the wonderful people, that have been supporting me financially all this time and hopefully in the future, so that I can continue work on the mod and not worry about what I am going to eat or how to pay bills, but if you can't for whatever reason, as long as you are here, talking about the mod, rooting for it's development, spreading out the word, it means a lot to me as well, keeps my motivation up, especially at times when I feel like I'm fighting an upstream battle against the game developers and their radical changes/shift of where they want to move their game forward versus what I had it envisioned like in my head with Undead Legacy.

Working as much as I humanly can, sometimes 10-16 hours per day, just to get this 2.0 version of the mod out, if it will be during A17 or A18, it's hard to tell, depends when exactly A18 drops, if it does drop before UL is released, then there won't be an A17 version of the mod.

Sub's totally correct in waiting; there is/was ZERO way to know when 18 is coming out, but why release when you CAN know that 18's release is imminent?

He's doing some *serious* code changes, truly impressive ♥♥♥♥ when you consider he wasn't even into custom blocks all that long ago, and refactoring (is that the right term?) for a18 will be a HUGE chore.

- - - Updated - - -

...and yes, I take credit for getting him into sdx. =)

He may end up waiting forever because if Alpha 18 was released today, it will take a long time to rework everything for Alpha 18 and by the time the mod is ready for release, Alpha 19 could be already around the corner, so... Of course, he can work at his own pace, I'm just saying that taking new Alpha version release date into consideration for a mod release may be a double-edged sword in the end.

True, but is it long enough for him to rework everything for Alpha 18 and will there be enough time for everyone to enjoy everything this mod has to offer once it's finally released?

A18 won't be that different from A17, not worried about that at all. Most of the custom code I've created should work for A18, maybe some parts would require some adjustments, but for the most part it theoretically should be compatible with A18, but for certain I will know only when I can get my hands on A18 release.

It will most certainly not take me another year to update the code, because updating what's already written is much easier than figuring it out from 0.

A18 won't be that different from A17, not worried about that at all. Most of the custom code I've created should work for A18, maybe some parts would require some adjustments, but for the most part it theoretically should be compatible with A18, but for certain I will know only when I can get my hands on A18 release.

It will most certainly not take me another year to update the code, because updating what's already written is much easier than figuring it out from 0.

Why the heck every cool mod makes us wait for Alpha 18? Oh well...

Not a fan of most changes in A17, looking forward to A18 very much, so that I can forget about A17

I know many people disliked Alpha 17, but isn't Alpha 18 just extended version of Alpha 17? I mean, there probably won't be any major system changes, so waiting for Alpha 18 won't make much difference in terms of what was good and bad.

I know many people disliked Alpha 17, but isn't Alpha 18 just extended version of Alpha 17? I mean, there probably won't be any major system changes, so waiting for Alpha 18 won't make much difference in terms of what was good and bad.

Yes and no, some stuff has been added, that would help me immensely with making my mod, such as block selection menu would clean up a lot of recipe clutter, ability to learn skill levels asynchronously (skill books) among some of the changes, and some new skill/item/buff triggers will be hooked up/fixed

Yes and no, some stuff has been added, that would help me immensely with making my mod, such as block selection menu would clean up a lot of recipe clutter, ability to learn skill levels asynchronously (skill books) among some of the changes, and some new skill/item/buff triggers will be hooked up/fixed

Ability to learn skills by skill book was already in Alpha 17. It wasn't frequently used by mods, but I'm pretty sure it's there. One example is Experimental Recipes mod.

• 2 weeks later...
Really awesome work, love your UI improvements, hope the UI part gets available soon.

UI won't be released as a standalone thing, it's not compatible with vanilla/other mods.

You must accept the fact, that it's an overhaul mod and not a mod pack, it's not modular and never was planned to be modular so that all the parts of the mod complement each other and work together in harmony.

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

UI won't be released as a standalone thing, it's not compatible with vanilla/other mods.

You must accept the fact, that it's an overhaul mod and not a mod pack, it's not modular and never was planned to be modular so that all the parts of the mod complement each other and work together in harmony.

Thanks for the clearification, looking forward to more updates :)

Good Day Subquake

Question .. Did you have time to do wireless junction boxes for overhaul, something I always hated about Vanilla _ " seeing wires from here to ten buck two, as the old saying goes ". Just wondering.

the Old Gamer :02.47-tranquillity:

If not .. would a Modlet work that does??

Good Day Subquake

Question .. Did you have time to do wireless junction boxes for overhaul, something I always hated about Vanilla _ " seeing wires from here to ten buck two, as the old saying goes ". Just wondering.

the Old Gamer :02.47-tranquillity:

If not .. would a Modlet work that does??

Not at the moment, but I have plans to rewrite power code at some point. I don't mind wires, they are part of the "apocalyptic" setting. And you can hide them with a little bit of engineering and double walls and ceilings with a designated space for wires to go through.

for me, the game died on A16.

The only person who gives life 7dtd is Subquake.

with friends we play only UL 1.3.0.3

Can RWG + old buildings be transferred from A16 to A18?

Also not a big fan of dungeon maps everywhere? Working really hard to get the mod back up to speed for A18! I miss playing UL myself, been so long, but I have high hopes for A18, I have a gut feeling, that A18 will be the version for UL to truly shine :)

Also not a big fan of dungeon maps everywhere? Working really hard to get the mod back up to speed for A18! I miss playing UL myself, been so long, but I have high hopes for A18, I have a gut feeling, that A18 will be the version for UL to truly shine :)

Umm....LOL I already thought Undead Legacy shined. :D

Can you properly configure rwgmixer.xml from A18? So that the 16x16 world is not created empty? I looked at the file and noticed that the 16x16 world has the same parameters as 8x8, I think that’s why the world was created almost empty.

Can you properly configure rwgmixer.xml from A18? So that the 16x16 world is not created empty? I looked at the file and noticed that the 16x16 world has the same parameters as 8x8, I think that’s why the world was created almost empty.

I would want to say, that yes, i will do that, but sadly I can't, it's a bit out of reach for me, since I work on the mod alone and due to already huge scope and plans for it, it's just a bit too much for 1 guy to handle. I do have plans to add more POIs and such at some point, but to tweak world gen mixer, while TFP themselves are tweaking it constantly for me feels a bit pointless endeavor.