Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

Hi Subquake,

Just a quick question, I know you said you weren't going to mess with much other than adding items for now, but when you go to change game play/quests/whatever, please don't follow ravenhearst's example where you are required to leave your brains in your other pair of pants before you can follow the logic of the game.

Like if you have a whole bunch of packages of ramen noodles, despite having an "Advanced campfire" which has a pot hanging from it, you're not allowed to cook the ramen noodles in the advanced campfire, you have to wait until you've built a microwave or working stove.

I'm not trying to rag on their mod, I already posted in their thread thinking this was some massive oversight, which it wasn't. It's designed that way to extend game play.

My logic centre broke on that and I just couldn't keep playing the mod.

I realize I didn't actually ask a question, but you get the idea. :)

Thanks.

There are a few recipes locked under working ovens in Undead Legacy, that can't be made on the campfire, but I try to make recipes follow a certain logic, that is based on what tool it can use. For example, you can't really use a fry cooker on a campfire :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I see the other furniture units, and it's awesome that you can craft them in the mod, at least for the aesthetics. But those things are 2 blocks high, double the size of the chests/boxes/munitions crates.

Storage per block:

Chest/box: 49

Filing cabinet: 30

Fridge: 50

Safe: 60

Munitions box: 100

Dumpster: 30(?)

So the filing cabinet is actually worse on a per-block basis, the fridge is breakeven, the safe a bit bigger, and the dumpster is probably terrible. I guess I could stack fridges or safes on their sides and see if that works, but now I have to redesign my base to fit them lmao :D

What would be cool, and maybe more in line with what you're after, would be high-capacity 1x1x1 cabinets of various kinds. The kitchen types are obvious, but I'm looking at all these mechanical, electrical, and automotive components and thinking, gee, IRL I would have some of those humongous chests with 348057348 little drawers in them for all the different items :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24298[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24299[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24300[/ATTACH]

Crafted versions of certain containers, that are found in the world have more slots and are much, much more durable. P.S. Sorry about late reply, I kinda missed your post there. Crafted dumpster: 120 slots, crafted secure safe: 120 slots, crafted 2 blocks high fridge: 100 slots, wooden and metal (iron?) desks have 100 slots each. The logic behind them is: if the container takes up 1 block dimensions, it has 49 slots, but if the container takes up more than 1 block space, for example, desks, then those have 100 slots or more. Exception is ammo box with 100 slots, that take up 1x1x1 space, because it's hard to craft and require the advanced welder.

Most if not all containers you find in POIs have much smaller storage slots for looting convenience and are way weaker than the ones you craft.

Once I go into SDX modding with A17, I will be adding custom models for blocks and I do have plans to add custom storage solutions, that might look something like you posted in those images ;)

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

There are a few recipes locked under working ovens in Undead Legacy, that can't be made on the campfire, but I try to make recipes follow a certain logic, that is based on what tool it can use. For example, you can't really use a fry cooker on a campfire :D

well you could use the oil in the pan in the campfire, but I probably wouldn't advise it. ;)

Glad to hear. Logic breaking concepts just drain fun from a survival game as far as I'm concerned.

Crafted versions of certain containers, that are found in the world have more slots and are much, much more durable. <snip>

Most if not all containers you find in POIs have much smaller storage slots for looting convenience and are way weaker than the ones you craft.

Once I go into SDX modding with A17, I will be adding custom models for blocks and I do have plans to add custom storage solutions, that might look something like you posted in those images ;)

Hm, I didn't think about durability as a differentiator. Good stuff, though probably matters more for PVP, which ain't me.

Awesome, looking forward to your models. If the quality bump even approaches what you've done with the inventory icons, we're in for a treat!

BTW: I can totally see not being able to craft a bullet press at any skill level in this game, but I can't make a bread pan, ever,

+ while I *can* make an auto-turret? Seems a bit off :)

It works, you can even attach signs.

Wouldn't recommend though, it's noisy.

Neat! Gonna test in creative and see if I can tolerate the racket :)

Edited by SerotoninCraver (see edit history)

I've seen similar before, not sure if it was gold or silver though. Here's how it happened: filled a material type in forge by smelting a certain item. Forge somehow wouldn't recognize the material. Continued to add one piece of that material via smelting a nugget of the same type. Forge now correctly uses all of the available material.

Interesting. I did later on melt one gold nugget to see if it would work, but it still says it has 0 out of the 10 required for the ingot. however the forge bank continues to register the newly added gold. Guess I will just have to keep on trying.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that this isnt the first time to happen.

Where do we obtain fusion cells?

Also, I am on Day 37 now with Secret Stash 3/3 (have had for several trader refreshes) and have yet to see any titanium between the 2 traders I have found. Any thoughts?

They are extremely rare, some traders might not have them in their stock at all, depends on the trader type.

Hi Subquake

A question for your bed mechanics:

In vanilla beds create a spawn point for a player, just like bedrolls do. But instead like bedrolls, beds can't be picked up again.

Some people prefer to take a bedroll with them on long journeys to create a spawn point or even to have several bases. You have to use bedrolls only, if you want to play this style as you will loose the spawn point of a bed forever, as you can't pick it up again but only destroy it.

But a bed is more aesthetic, especially for bases.

So I'd like to ask, if the (player crafted) bed in your mod can be picked up again or if there is any other way - except of destroying and rebuilding it - to make it your actual spawn point again. If not, would you mind to add it?

In my humble opionion I don't see a reason, why this mechanic is possible with a bedroll but not a bed, as a bed is just a more aesthetical decoration than the bedroll.

Hi Subquake

A question for your bed mechanics:

In vanilla beds create a spawn point for a player, just like bedrolls do. But instead like bedrolls, beds can't be picked up again.

Some people prefer to take a bedroll with them on long journeys to create a spawn point or even to have several bases. You have to use bedrolls only, if you want to play this style as you will loose the spawn point of a bed forever, as you can't pick it up again but only destroy it.

But a bed is more aesthetic, especially for bases.

So I'd like to ask, if the (player crafted) bed in your mod can be picked up again or if there is any other way - except of destroying and rebuilding it - to make it your actual spawn point again. If not, would you mind to add it?

In my humble opionion I don't see a reason, why this mechanic is possible with a bedroll but not a bed, as a bed is just a more aesthetical decoration than the bedroll.

I remember times, when you could pick up fridges and other crap by destroying them and they would give the block instead of scrap metal etc. From a realistic standpoint I understand the fact, that bedrolls are light weight and you can roll them up quite fast and pick up and tie to your backpack, but beds have frames (either wood or metal pipes) and much more heavy weight, though from gameplay standpoint the character can carry around thousands of concrete blocks without breaking a sweat, but not being able to "pick up" beds.

I was thinking about making all the non blocky blocks actually give the blocks themselves when destroyed instead of raw materials, but I decided not to at some point, however once I go into SDX more deeply and start adding custom tools/weapons etc to the game, I might consider making it so that with certain tools you could disassemble a block, in this case, for example, a bed, so that you get the bed block item instead of its components, but it would require special tools and axing, pickaxing or other crude tool usage would give scrap materials back instead of the block.

In terms of gameplay, for example, in Portal Knights when you destroy any kind of block, you get the block back instead of its raw resources, however TFP wanted to go to a more semi-realistic way so that you get resources back instead of the full block. This mechanic makes it so that players require to know how to make those blocks to rebuild them instead of picking them up by smashing them and then placing them back in the world where they wish so. It also forces players to think about placement of blocks with more care since it takes quite a bit of effort to destroy them afterwards once placed, therefore the choices are more meaningful regarding where you build stuff.

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

Thank you for your reply, Subquake.

While I understand the argument that a bed is not meant to be taken with you on a journey, it's not the point of my question.

It's just because if you take a bedroll with you to use it on a journey, or if you have multiple bases, you can't set your bed being your spawn point again after you made another one before. Only solution is to break a bed apart and replace it with a new one, or not using them - but bedroles - at all.

So I'm looking forward if you will add a way to pick it up again using proper tools in A17. :-)

I just don't understand why TFP don't want to allow to make a bed a spawn point again, after you have used another spawn point. In a matter of gameplay/balancing it doesn't make any difference if you can do the same with a bedroll anyway.

I would already be happy, if there is an option in the menu, similar to workstations, to make a bed an spawn point again (while loosing the old one of course). But I would guess thats to much into coding for a mod.

So, yeah, I'm looking forward into A17 version of your mod.

Last but not least, thank you for your work. Me and my friends are very enjoying it. :-)

All changes, additions and bugfixes cost workhours, a limited resource. Since for the majority of players the bedroll situation is absolutely fine, any changes are very likely not high in the priority list of the fun pimps. Tbh, I'd be fine with respawning on a squished amazon cardboard box in exchange for some improved multiplayer performance.

Maybe you could find a workaround for your dream design. You could place the respawn bedroll in a hidden chamber away from your main base design and build a fancy bed just for cosmetics. It's also possible to make a futon-style bed with building blocks and then place two bedrolls on top of it as a bedsheet.

"gc" Error Help Needed

I wanted to start off by saying that this is a really great mod. I have it on my server and we all enjoy it!

I do have a friend that is having an issue with it and I was wondering if anyone might know a solution to this issue.

She keeps getting a "Fatal error in gc, too many threads" window pop up when starting the game and connecting to my server. At first we thought it was the "7DTD Mod Launcher" so we did a direct install to her PC bypassing the Launcher, Then we disabled her antivirus. Still no luck. She can get into a vanilla game and it runs fine with no errors, But as soon as we add the mod the error comes back. There are a total of about 10 of us that play on our server, run it with "7DTD Mod Launcher" and none of us have this issue. To ensure we have done a complete wipe and reinstall on her PC we have removed the Launcher, the mod, the game (through STEAM game uninstall), the STEAM game folder, and the games folder in C:\Users\.....\AppData\Roaming. Once this has been done we reinstall the game, launcher & mod. Now the game will run fine the first time and everything is working great. But once she logs off and tries to log back in at a later time, The error comes back! I have searched on line for a solution and some sites say that the "gc" error stands for "Graphics Card", Java "Garbage Collection", "Graphics Crash" this makes it more difficult to pinpoint the error. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :02.47-tranquillity:

All changes, additions and bugfixes cost workhours, a limited resource. Since for the majority of players the bedroll situation is absolutely fine, any changes are very likely not high in the priority list of the fun pimps. Tbh, I'd be fine with respawning on a squished amazon cardboard box in exchange for some improved multiplayer performance.

Maybe you could find a workaround for your dream design. You could place the respawn bedroll in a hidden chamber away from your main base design and build a fancy bed just for cosmetics. It's also possible to make a futon-style bed with building blocks and then place two bedrolls on top of it as a bedsheet.

So true! And I'm the sole maker of Undead Legacy if were not counting a little bit of help on making translations for other languages. Some features people want me to include in the mod sometimes would take up way too much of my free time to implement with very little gain. I do understand, that certain things, that people ask would be cool to have and all, but sometimes something just have to be left behind in favor for other things, that could impact gameplay in a more significant manner.

I wanted to start off by saying that this is a really great mod. I have it on my server and we all enjoy it!

I do have a friend that is having an issue with it and I was wondering if anyone might know a solution to this issue.

She keeps getting a "Fatal error in gc, too many threads" window pop up when starting the game and connecting to my server. At first we thought it was the "7DTD Mod Launcher" so we did a direct install to her PC bypassing the Launcher, Then we disabled her antivirus. Still no luck. She can get into a vanilla game and it runs fine with no errors, But as soon as we add the mod the error comes back. There are a total of about 10 of us that play on our server, run it with "7DTD Mod Launcher" and none of us have this issue. To ensure we have done a complete wipe and reinstall on her PC we have removed the Launcher, the mod, the game (through STEAM game uninstall), the STEAM game folder, and the games folder in C:\Users\.....\AppData\Roaming. Once this has been done we reinstall the game, launcher & mod. Now the game will run fine the first time and everything is working great. But once she logs off and tries to log back in at a later time, The error comes back! I have searched on line for a solution and some sites say that the "gc" error stands for "Graphics Card", Java "Garbage Collection", "Graphics Crash" this makes it more difficult to pinpoint the error. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :02.47-tranquillity:

His computer might be too weak to handle Undead Legacy since it's the only mod to replace the whole UI of the game and because TFP haven't optimized the performance and loading/unloading of textures for the UI, something like that might happen on a lower end machine. My only suggestion with this issue is to try to lower the graphical settings for him to the bare minimum, everything down, like render distance etc, everything minimum and then try to launch the game with the mod. If he does manage to launch the game with the mod and join the server, then what he can try is to start cranking up the settings until he bumps into this error again. That way you could troubleshoot the cause.

If with everything in graphics settings set to minimum he can't run the mod, then that simply means, that his pc isn't capable of running the mod, because TFP haven't optimized it that well for this kind of major UI changes.

His computer might be too weak to handle Undead Legacy since it's the only mod to replace the whole UI of the game and because TFP haven't optimized the performance and loading/unloading of textures for the UI, something like that might happen on a lower end machine. My only suggestion with this issue is to try to lower the graphical settings for him to the bare minimum, everything down, like render distance etc, everything minimum and then try to launch the game with the mod. If he does manage to launch the game with the mod and join the server, then what he can try is to start cranking up the settings until he bumps into this error again. That way you could troubleshoot the cause.

If with everything in graphics settings set to minimum he can't run the mod, then that simply means, that his pc isn't capable of running the mod, because TFP haven't optimized it that well for this kind of major UI changes.

Thank You! we will try that! :smile-new:

Ive been following this mod since your fisrt post, it looks great, ran it for like 15 mins on some random server that was running it, it ran great. I like the layout, only thought i had was maybe change one of the green bas at the bottom, think one is food, other....i forget lol

Ive been following this mod since your fisrt post, it looks great, ran it for like 15 mins on some random server that was running it, it ran great. I like the layout, only thought i had was maybe change one of the green bas at the bottom, think one is food, other....i forget lol
Colors for hp, stamina, water and food will be slightly altered to more neutral and less "in the face" colors to more subtle colors in the future to give it a more retro vibe :)

Subquake,

The hunting knife book is not locking steel and titanium recipes.

<item id="912" name="huntingKnifeBook">
	<property name="Extends" value="schematicMaster"/>
	<property class="Action1">
		<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="huntingKnife,ulmHuntingKnifeSteel,ulmHuntingKnifeTitanium"/>
		<!--
<property name="Skills_to_gain" value="craftSkillWeapons"/> 
		-->
	</property>

Should be:

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="huntingKnife,ulmKnifeSteel,ulmKnifeTitanium"/>
		<!--
		-->
	</property>

The word "hunting" is not used in the steel and titanium knife name.

Subquake,

The hunting knife book is not locking steel and titanium recipes.

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="huntingKnife,ulmHuntingKnifeSteel,ulmHuntingKnifeTitanium"/>
		<!--
		-->
	</property>

Should be:

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="huntingKnife,ulmKnifeSteel,ulmKnifeTitanium"/>
		<!--
		-->
	</property>

The word "hunting" is not used in the steel and titanium knife name.

Thanks for noticing that, I will include the fix for it in the next update :)

I tend to host a server, with slower progression. Im finding drop rates to be very high. tools for example, ive only been playing a few hours and already have 4 iron pick, shovel and so on. If this is how you intended it thats cool :)

You can always set the loot rates lower, for example 25% ;)