Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

Noticed the pathing for zombies with the sliding gate isn't correct.

A building with a open front door and a closed garage door in the back has the zombies pathing around to the open front door as expected.

Replace the garage door with a closed sliding  gate and zombie pathing now assumes the gate is the easiest point rather then pathing around to the open front door..

The gate should be the same as the garage door as far as zombie pathing is concerned but this is not presently the case.

30 minutes ago, Magnus33john said:

Noticed the pathing for zombies with the sliding gate isn't correct.

A building with a open front door and a closed garage door in the back has the zombies pathing around to the open front door as expected.

Replace the garage door with a closed sliding  gate and zombie pathing now assumes the gate is the easiest point rather then pathing around to the open front door..

The gate should be the same as the garage door as far as zombie pathing is concerned but this is not presently the case.

And how is that a problem? So zombies path differently with the new door, you'll just have to deal with it :)

46 minutes ago, Subquake said:

And how is that a problem? So zombies path differently with the new door, you'll just have to deal with it :)

Because it makes no sense.

Zombies are suppose to path to the point of least resistance to get to you.

Using any of your gates destroys any pathing causing them to assume it is the easiest path rather the a open door  if it a little closer then the open door.

This only seems to affect the gates as the doors are treated like any other door.

Seeing as gates are used on the ground floor to protect you work areas or vehicle storage this becomes a problem.

Could be used to attract zombies by no ones going to do so as it a crazy expensive way to do do when there much cheaper was to do so.

Having zombies pounding on the gate when two feet further away there a opening makes no sense.

Could use this on a outer wall to arract them into a kill point but this is basically just making a cheese base.

Instead of working with the AI and the game to have a fun play its braking the game play.. Your always going to know where to be as the zombies will now ignore  hole in the wall if it just a little further away.

Where the fun in that?

Edited by Magnus33john (see edit history)

In normal game play if a zombie breaks a whole in a wall further along it can cause the other zombies to completely alter their path to get to you making game play have a element of unpredictably.

This of course makes the game fun to play because you dont always know whats going to happen.

This doesn't alter pathing it destroys it.

A zombie can make a hole in the wall further along and nothing happens the other zombies will just keep pound on the gate.

56 minutes ago, Subquake said:

@Magnus33john it is what it is, I'm not gonna recode the ingame AI, that's too much to ask from a mod developer.

Your blaming the Ai for a problem with the gate?!

In all fairness they do keep making changes to the Ai so its hard to take into account just what can happen with a mod.

That aside though there have been a lot of door and gate mods which dont break the game pathing.

Even the doors here dont break the pathing in any way.

But something about the gate does and big time.

Wonder if it could be the size itself confusing the Ai as it is non standard for the game.

This doesn't make it unusable as it can be used on a garage not directly connected above ground to the main base or above the ground level pathing.

It also not required to use them in that way so it hardly breaks the game itself and others gates or garage doors can be used.

A odd issue in a stiller mod.

One question why the squirrel or was it really a kids toy?

So my undead legacy review.

First off lets just say that it amazingly stable with minimal issues during game play and just play makes the game look better and has lots of logical common sense things included that were missing in the vanilla game or made no sense.

Pro:

Picking locks now requires actually lock picking rather then some random calculation to open a locked item.

Getting drinks of fuel now requires a empty container which makes total sense rather then having the magical appear

Vehicles can now be found and repaired  which would be the case with something like this happening and there are more options.

The building system has been expanded on to give more depth with the game and add more options.

Lots of new items have been added along removing things that made no sense.

It just plain looks better from new doors, cars, weapons and so on.

The improved weight system makes total sense rather then having you be able to carry a truck in your backpack.

The ability to pick up items in the game makes total sense which was lacking in vanilla.

It give much more depth to the game play and lets be honest the custom assets just make it look pretty as my better half would say

Cons:

It can be overly grindy as there a materials imbalance between costs, how much you can carry and how fast some tools work

The expanded building can be confusing and somewhat convoluted with 15 or more work stations which doesn't actually make much logical sense.

Any maker has a main area where they work with tools for doing certain tasks. One look and you know this tool does this and this one does that rather then a bunch of benches for everything. The carpenters table being a good example since short of making fine furniture you are rarely working at a table and if you did it wouldn't be a dedicated wood bench.

This could be streamlined better making more logical sense and removing confusion of what to make when or what i need to do this or even what somethings do.

The carpenters table, the artisan and tailor ones could be removed as in real life you just bring the tools to a work bench and go at it.

Given the grind for materials and the limited space you may end up having this would make a sense.

This would still having the build be more complex with more stations but remove some of the confusion of why you need a separate table just to work leather which wouldn't happen in real life.

Food is a issue in both the vanilla and most of the overhauls with some of it making sense and other parts making none at all.

The requiring containers for fluids makes total sense and is a welcome improvement but when it comes to food much of it makes no sense.

Canned goods , hunting and farming are fine but the rest goes off the rails.

No ones going to be finding a sandwich or chowder in a fridges years after a apocalypse?!!

This could have been easily gotten around and made perfect sense if they were MRE'S which could easily last ages. But even on army bases you still find a  bacon and eggs in a fridge or a chowder lol. But nope there a bowel of stew in the fridge that lasted years defying all logic and making the player scratch their heads.

Finally there are parts of the game which break game play although they are rare.

I discovered one where  the the sliding scfi gates dont alter zombie pathing but completely break  it. If put on the main horde base the zombies will path to it and keep pounding on it tell it's destroyed. They will do so seeing it as the best path even so far as ignoring holes in the structure even if its only a few blocks further away.  This introduces serious cheese as you going to know ever time where most of the zombies are going to be as long as the gate remains, unlike normal bases where bathing can change is other blocks are destroyed.

But hell nothing every going to be perfect and not using it has no affect on game play short of it looking cool.

This is amazing mod with a lot of work put into it by subquake which i am sure is just going to get better

On 8/8/2022 at 2:47 PM, Canute said:

Just place it somewhere, don't need to be an iron deposit.

Wait until the timer is up, loot it.

And it will dig again.

Sometimes the timer get bugged and it show an very high count, just pickup the extractor an replace it.

LOL dropped it on an iron deposit and an hour later got a total of 59 lead. Please tell me it is not the garbage i think it is.

2 hours ago, Mana said:

LOL dropped it on an iron deposit and an hour later got a total of 59 lead. Please tell me it is not the garbage i think it is.

Yield is randomized and the way it works does not take into account where you place it at the moment. Eventually I want to change that, but it is what it is atm. Intent wasn't to fully automate resource gathering and it's not meant to be substitute for mining ore yourself.

18 hours ago, Magnus33john said:

The carpenters table, the artisan and tailor ones could be removed as in real life you just bring the tools to a work bench and go at it.

So you drag logs onto your sewing table and cut them into planks do you? I think not. Same spot you cut boulders into blocks as well huh? Seems to me those 3 would be the last work areas to be combined. The first two wouldn't even be inside the base at all but outdoors on the ground around the base and even then I would not work stone in the same area I worked wood. The tools used for each do not mix at all. Not that I want Subquake to take realism that far.

Does anybody know how to use a controller with this mod? I've tried simply opening the mod, I've tried making the mod launcher a non-steam game and opening mod launcher through steam (this worked several updates ago, but no longer), I've tried making a custom controller layout for both 7d2d and the non-steam mod launcher and I've read in some places that disabling EAC has worked, so I tried that but had no luck. any ideas? thanks!

1 hour ago, Project K said:

Does anybody know how to use a controller with this mod? I've tried simply opening the mod, I've tried making the mod launcher a non-steam game and opening mod launcher through steam (this worked several updates ago, but no longer), I've tried making a custom controller layout for both 7d2d and the non-steam mod launcher and I've read in some places that disabling EAC has worked, so I tried that but had no luck. any ideas? thanks!

Plug/connect the controller to your pc and start using it, the game should immediately pick it up, if it doesn't, then I can't help you. The way the controller is detected is vanilla and I have not messed with that in any way in the mod. I've tested Undead Legacy with an Xbox Elite 2 controller and some random 20$ USB no name controller, both work just fine with UL.

Questions if I may.  I’m new to the UL, and I’m trying to sort out how this works. I have a server through gameservers, 8 slots, they have to increase me to 16 slots for the UL.  So before I start it and switch over…

I see you have an update coming out.. should I wait till after the update to start it up? Will I lose the progress at updates?

Maps, do I generate a RGW map on a single player game and load it onto the server, as I did on vanilla server? 

thanks!!

So JaWoodle thought that the frying pan was a tool, and that got me thinking that it'd be really fun to run around during the day, beating zeds to mush with my S-grade, 3-star pan and while back at base, I pop it on the cooking fire to enable advanced recipes, like Southern fried chikin and grits, Japanese curry yakisoba with wolf "tenders," or even Hawaiian loco moco with Sham.