[Known Issue] Multiplayer Disconnection

Clare

Hi Mandrews,

- The team said is that could not recreate it internally. Do you mean internally as in the office through the same connection or at your homes with different ISP's? Also have you tried this with players in different regions?

The team are testing as many variations of the issue as possible.

- have you tried creating focus groups of sensible mature players to maybe help with your investigations?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by this, we do have groups of testers, unless you mean groups from the community?

- Have you identified factors such as those i mentioned above and crowd sourced data to build up the picture of what a model player/ setup that suffers connection issues looks like?

We are already aware of BT potentially being an issue, possibly due to package blocking or an issue with hardware. We are also aware this is not the only ISP that has issues. I have heard of players connecting via hotspot have having success, as well as changing to the BT Home Hub 6, bypassing Routers, Changing MAC addresses on the XB1 etc.

There have been multiple surveys conducted on the forums (and shared on social media too). The most recent one was "Multiplayer and ISP Changes" I believe that is still stickied in General Discussion if you would like to have a look, but before that we also gathered info on settings, both with connections and in game settings too - I don't think these are sticky posts anymore, but you may be able to find them if you search the forum for "Multiplayer Survey"

I appreciate you taking the time to detail the issues you have been having and I will pass this info onto the team as any info can be help towards tracking down the issue.

Clare

Hi Clare,

Thank you for the detailed response. Have you tried using something like surveymonkey to get targeted responses to specific questions for your polls and surveys instead of just the forum?

I was referring to groups of community testers, thought process behind this is due to the fact you can target multiple regions simultaneously and effectively build patterns using players that are struggling with connection issues in real world situations. i am sure many of the community are desperate to resolve this issue that they would donate some time to help with this situation.

I don't know where you are based Clare but in the UK 95% of all groundworks, cabinets and exchanges and general infrastructure are controlled by Virgin Media or BT. (literally, all of the copper is owned by BT) this means most other ISPS that are not satellite based have to lease this infrastructure from either or and I don't think Virgin lease anything. This would backup the packet blocking theory, however surely the packet loss would affect multiple games not just 7DTD and would it not show up when doing a detailed network test on the Xbox?

Mandrews

Worked for me

Go to all settings

Network

Network settings

Test your network connection

Then test your multiplayer connection

Now go to advance settings

Alternate mac address

Then press clear

Your Xbox will automatically shut down and restart

This was posted by Clare at the start of this post,

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, but just want to let you know it did for me, so it is probably worth a shot!

I'm glad it has worked, game is amazing on multi player, few little snags that need fixing but you get that in every game,

Hope this works for you guys

Go to all settings

Network

Network settings

Test your network connection

Then test your multiplayer connection

Now go to advance settings

Alternate mac address

Then press clear

Your Xbox will automatically shut down and restart

This was posted by Clare at the start of this post,

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, but just want to let you know it did for me, so it is probably worth a shot!

I'm glad it has worked, game is amazing on multi player, few little snags that need fixing but you get that in every game,

Hope this works for you guys

Benjo,

can you describe exactly what your issue was and if possible let me know your location, what your ISP is, What exactly ca you do now that couldnt do before etc.

Cheers Mandrews

Possible fix

New to forums

Me and my friend were having the same issue on dark souls 3 when it first released and found a fix for that and tried it here and it worked for xbox one not sure if it will work for every ine but worked every time for me and my friend

You need to download a game while trying to join the game dont know why it works but it just does

As in have a game downlaoding in the background while you're attempting to connect, interesting, I wonder does that open the ports up more or something. Thanks for mentioning it Shielded Arcer - Did you notice this at all when playing 7DTD or has it only effected DS3 for you?

Hi Clare,

Have you had any reports of players trying to tunnel out via a VPN and if they have had any success?

Cheers

Mandrews

I have not heard this being attempted as far as I can remember, but if you decide to give it a try, let me know. I won't report VPN usage, just make sure what you're doing is legal in your country (I know some countires can have strick VPN rules) would be interesting if this would bypass whatever is causing restrictions.

Clare

EDIT: Also sorry, I just realised I missed your previous message.

UK and Germany seem to be the most common complaint, not sure if that's due to the game popularity in those countries if it is infact based on certain ISPs. I'm based in Ireland (Work remotely) but we have line rentals here too, always the case of "Don't use internet company Y, sure they're only renting from internet company X".

We also know some VodafoneDE customers can connect via mobile hotspot but not with their own wifi, which makes me consider the packetblocking again.

Surveys were done with a set list of questions from the team. I posted them and then a team member gathered and compiled all the information that was given by the community - how they went about this, I do not know, but I trust it was decided to be the most efficient way.

Hardware Problem??

Hello,

i found this post on this forum and it will maybe help us. (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?55567-Multiplayer-XBox-Loginprobleme-L%F6sung-inside)

It is in German, i will try to translate it.

-----

From Patch 2 i could not play 7dtd multiplayer, so i tried to figure out why it is not working.

solution short form: Fritz!Box Router like this (https://avm.de/produkte/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/)

-----

The picture is almost always the same, 7days tried to connect and no later than the "environment is created" or "game is joined" the connection is interrupted.

After I have read here the users have tested different ISP, and it seems rather a German problem seems (Fritzbox). (Since users from other countries like the Fritzbox is not represented or present, is connected without problems with me in the game have.)

I have tested different ISP, but without success, as the chance it so,

I have connected to the Fritzbox my old VPN Router WRT54GL.

And as it worked out, so I thought it only works with VPN. I was called tips like "web locks" or DNS locks. But what I could not quite believe. After further attempts incl. Deactivation of the VPN functioned 7days still. Unfortunately, the router is no longer as performant as the newer ones. So now I had another 3370, and wanted to try it with it. Internet by LAN1 set. 3370 got connect, but 7days represented the same fault, no matter which ports I opened up or firewall switched off. It did not work.

So connected a WA841ND with DD-WRT and only WAN on DHCP set. LAN with the Fritz box connected.

And since the Mutliplayer runs. I can connect to everyone. Unfortunately, is not reversed, since my opposite have a Fritzbox. As soon as he has a cheap router behind than it works.

So with the patch 2 the developer must have changed something at the network timing or something in this way..

Or a port or protocol which the Fritzbox (Firewall?) separates the session!

-----

I hope I could help, i have the same problem with Multiplayer, i also have a Fritz!Box as router. Some friends of my can play perfectly... and they have no Fritz!Box. And some other have the Fritz! and it is not working..

Best wishes

crimsonrider

As in have a game downlaoding in the background while you're attempting to connect, interesting, I wonder does that open the ports up more or something. Thanks for mentioning it Shielded Arcer - Did you notice this at all when playing 7DTD or has it only effected DS3 for you?

Ya you have a game download in the backround and me and my friend use this trick to get into each others game on 7dtd but first discovered it on ds3

Clare please notice this

Hello,

i found this post on this forum and it will maybe help us. (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?55567-Multiplayer-XBox-Loginprobleme-L%F6sung-inside)

It is in German, i will try to translate it.

-----

From Patch 2 i could not play 7dtd multiplayer, so i tried to figure out why it is not working.

solution short form: Fritz!Box Router like this (https://avm.de/produkte/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/)

-----

The picture is almost always the same, 7days tried to connect and no later than the "environment is created" or "game is joined" the connection is interrupted.

After I have read here the users have tested different ISP, and it seems rather a German problem seems (Fritzbox). (Since users from other countries like the Fritzbox is not represented or present, is connected without problems with me in the game have.)

I have tested different ISP, but without success, as the chance it so,

I have connected to the Fritzbox my old VPN Router WRT54GL.

And as it worked out, so I thought it only works with VPN. I was called tips like "web locks" or DNS locks. But what I could not quite believe. After further attempts incl. Deactivation of the VPN functioned 7days still. Unfortunately, the router is no longer as performant as the newer ones. So now I had another 3370, and wanted to try it with it. Internet by LAN1 set. 3370 got connect, but 7days represented the same fault, no matter which ports I opened up or firewall switched off. It did not work.

So connected a WA841ND with DD-WRT and only WAN on DHCP set. LAN with the Fritz box connected.

And since the Mutliplayer runs. I can connect to everyone. Unfortunately, is not reversed, since my opposite have a Fritzbox. As soon as he has a cheap router behind than it works.

So with the patch 2 the developer must have changed something at the network timing or something in this way..

Or a port or protocol which the Fritzbox (Firewall?) separates the session!

-----

I hope I could help, i have the same problem with Multiplayer, i also have a Fritz!Box as router. Some friends of my can play perfectly... and they have no Fritz!Box. And some other have the Fritz! and it is not working..

Best wishes

crimsonrider

I think we need a test group, a group of people with the dodgy version of the game. Fund cheap routers and see if it fixes the errors.

Clare please notice his post

I think we need a test group, a group of people with the dodgy version of the game. Fund cheap routers and see if it fixes the errors.

Clare please notice his post

It is really sad, i posted it 6 Days Ago and u are the first who cars about... it is a really annoying problem... :dispirited:

Do you have this Problem too? If yes, have you tried my method?

It is really sad, i posted it 6 Days Ago and u are the first who cars about... it is a really annoying problem... :dispirited:

Do you have this Problem too? If yes, have you tried my method?

At least me and my 3 Other German Friends gave up to try to Play this. At least we had fun for a week. 6 month later this game still dont works. Nothing changed and no fix in sight.

At least me and my 3 Other German Friends gave up to try to Play this. At least we had fun for a week. 6 month later this game still dont works. Nothing changed and no fix in sight.

Mh, that is Really sad. You can call the Microsoft Support and u will get your Money back. It Looks like it is still an Alpha Game but sold on the Xbox as Full Game.

I Really wanted to help the Developer, but nobody is answering here. So i have to call Microsoft, to get my Money back because this is not working. Never seen such Bad Support.

I am sorry I had not yet gotten back to this post to check for updates - I am more frequently in the main Console Bug Reports area, this is more of an info sharing section where I don't get a chance to reply to everyone as often. Thank you for bringing your post to my attenion elsewhere crimsonrider and again I am sorry for not responding sooner.

I will pass this information onto the team to let them know what you have found. Can you tell me if Fritz!box is the most popular in Germany? I've heard German players mention this and VodafoneDE most often.

... Can you tell me if Fritz!box is the most popular in Germany? I've heard German players mention this and VodafoneDE most often.

Hoi Clare,

The Fritz!box is an DSL-Router serie from the company AVM. Don't have actual numbers but, 5 (or so) years ago 2 out of 3 DSL-Routers were Fritz!boxes and it is still very popular. Afaik you can buy them seperatly or you can get relabled devices in connection with the contract from your ISP.

Hoi Clare,

The Fritz!box is an DSL-Router serie from the company AVM. Don't have actual numbers but, 5 (or so) years ago 2 out of 3 DSL-Routers were Fritz!boxes and it is still very popular. Afaik you can buy them seperatly or you can get relabled devices in connection with the contract from your ISP.

Thanks for the info! High chance of it still being super common though.

Hoi Clare,

Actually the fritzbox is still very popular and widely used in German, because they are not so severely limited by the functions, as with many other "standard" routers.

Same Problem

Hi There

I recently bought the game with 3 friends and we can't join each others games. All three of us have BT as an ISP and use the HomeHub 5. We also all have an open NAT type and fibre optic broadband with up to 70mb download speed and 18mb upload speed.

I realise every effort is being made to fix this but we bought the game with the sole intention of playing together on it and we have so far not been able to.

I would also like to add that non of the suggestions in the original post worked for either of us.

issues dating SO far back, even some as far as 2015.. STILL not fixed.. GRRRRR

- - - Updated - - -

Hi There

I recently bought the game with 3 friends and we can't join each others games. All three of us have BT as an ISP and use the HomeHub 5. We also all have an open NAT type and fibre optic broadband with up to 70mb download speed and 18mb upload speed.

I realise every effort is being made to fix this but we bought the game with the sole intention of playing together on it and we have so far not been able to.

I would also like to add that non of the suggestions in the original post worked for either of us.

same internet, same hub, same issue..

Archived