The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

Hey all,

The latest version of the 7D2D Mod Launcher V5 can be found through the following links:

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

http://7d2dlauncher.org

Direct links to the latest :

Windows: https://github.com/The7D2DModLauncher/7D2DModLauncherV5/releases/latest/download/7D2DModLauncherV5.exe

Linux: https://github.com/The7D2DModLauncher/7D2DModLauncherV5/releases/latest/download/7D2DModLauncher-Linux.tar.gz

MacOS: https://github.com/The7D2DModLauncher/7D2DModLauncherV5/releases/latest/download/7D2DModLauncher-MacOS.tar.gz

YouTube Tutorials for V5:

Information below this line is out of date, and no longer being updated.

The new ModLauncher is available via the www.7d2dmodlauncher.org, or through a direct link at https://github.com/SphereII/7D2DModLauncher/archive/refs/heads/Windows-Installer.zip

The old mod launcher will still be available and work for most mods, however, it will not see any updates.

-- Old Launcher ---

New Update: 2.1.26

- Fixed a bug with world copying.

New Update: 2.1.23

- Upload Log Files works again (oops)

- Installed Mods should show up now (oops)

- Overhaul Mods are read dynamically, rather than database backed. ( to work around the disappearing gitlab mods )

New Update: 2.1.22
- Fixed issue with some modlets not being installed
- Fixed where Navezgane world files were being over-written

New Update: 2.1.20

- Added Experimental Git Support
- Added performance enhancement for Modlets
- New support for DMT A19

New Update: 2.1.16

- Fixed Enabled / Disabled Modlets from being reset from user preference

- Improved error handling for SharpSVN.dll error

- Fixed incorrect log setting ( 7DaysToDie_Data\output_log.txt should work)

New Update: 2.1.13

- Fixed the Download From Steam option

- Added more resistant code for database download ( selected index error )

New Update: 2.1.11

- Fixed Installed Mods shortcut

- Fixed Modlet dependency download

- Added troubleshooting for Database Downloads

- Added clearing of Steam cache to download correct version

New Update: 2.1.9

- Fixed Database locking issue

- Fixed Locally installed Mods

New Update: 2.1.6

- Added mirror for database

- fixed mod.xml not being picked up

- Fixed broken rss feed

New Update: 2.1.2

- Fast load times

- More responsive Modlets screen

- Off-line support

- More reliable Modlet views

New Update: 2.0.90

- Minor change to a flag for DMT

New Update: 2.0.89

- Added feature to specify branch for github sync

New Update: 2.0.88

- Fixed an issue with the SDX download

New Update: 2.0.87

- Fixed another issue with time-outs

New Update: 2.0.85

- Fixed time out issue on some mods.

New Update: 2.0.83

- Bug fix for Manage Modlets throwing an error

- Experimental DMT Support

- Available Modlets will be displayed by default, if no modlets are installed.

New Update: 2.0.80

- bug fixes to Manage Modlet screen

New Update: 2.0.77

- Fixed a bug with the Modlet database not being synced correctly

- Fixed an issue where old data in the database hung around

New Update: 2.0.74

- Manage Modlets screen updated to be faster and more reliable

- Built-in SDX support. Add an SDX Modlet, and watch it compile automatically for you

- New Menu Option: View -> Maximize Screen which will enable scroll bars

- Steam Version working; Add and manage your modlets right in your steam folder

New Update: 2.0.61

- fixed another issue where the mod launcher threw an exception if missing mods folder.

New Update: 2.0.60

- Fixed an issue where the mod launcher failed to load a game if there was no Mods folder.

New Update: 2.0.59

- Various modlet bug fixes

- Saving Command Line Parameter is fixed

- Go To and Play from splash screen fix.

New Update 2.0.58

- Bug fix for Free Space check looking at the wrong drive.

New Update: 2.0.55 January 21, 2019

- Fixed Steam Download Links

- Changed the "Managed Mods" to "Add More Mods"

- Some comfort items, such as Delete Completely will take you back where you were

New Update: 2.0.51 January 20, 2019

- POtentially fixing the issue where steam isn't seen. Requesting feedback

- Fixed issue with missing DLL for zip files.

New Update: 2.0.42 January 20, 2019

- Fixed Local Save Game bug

- Fixed Additional Settings being populated with garbage.

New Update: 2.0.42 January 19, 2019

- Lots of performance tweaks to the Modlet browser functionality

- Tweaks and removal of extra libraries no longer needed

- Modified the core download functionality for TempMods to be sub-folders. This allows us to use git for more than one download (ie Winter Project and DUST2DEATH's resources will be faster after the initial install)

- Updated the Steam Download option to include the versions you want to sync.

- Added some extra code to make Steam downloads more resilient.

- New Configuration! View Menu -> Open Configuration File. My Mods should be remembered between releases!

<SubscriptionLink>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/7D2DMods/Profiles/master/MyTestProfile.txt</SubscriptionLink>

Update Version 2.0.19 - January 8th, 2019

==========================

It's been a rough few weeks on changing and upgrading the installer. The OneClick installer that we've been using is showing its inflexibility as I've been trying to make it as smooth as possible. It has not been very smooth, admittedly.

Expect quick jumps in version numbers as I roll out new, smaller features.

More Tutorials are available from some great YouTubers.

German Tutorial by Eihwaz

What does it do, exactly?

Very simply, the Launcher reads a remote configuration file that contains different download links to the various mods. When you want to play a mod, you select it from the list, and it will automatically download and install the mod for you, then launch the game. You can also make your own configuration, called My Mods, mixing and matching mods at your leisure.

If you are playing on a server, your server administrator can create a config for the Launcher to use, that contains all their download links that are required. Need the back pack mod? The Server Administrator can add it to their zip file, and everyone will get it.

How do I get started?

Download and Run: https://github.com/7D2DModLauncher/T...r.msi?raw=true

YouTube Videos

I created a few short YouTube videos on how to get started.

Extra Info

Each of the installation methods has been signed by my security certificate, which I acquired for this tool: SphereII Software.

The main website for the 7D2D Mod Launcher is: http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

For Log Files, you can go to the View menu, and select Log Files. This will allow you to view the launcher's log files, as well as your 7 Days to Die game log. An Upload Log File will upload the log file to pastebin, allowing you to share.

You may notice that that the 7D2D Mod Launcher is also referenced as "7D2D Launcher". Development work pre-dates the Fun Pimp's own 7DLauncher name, and I wanted to remain distinct, thus the move to the more recent, 7D2D Mod Launcher.

Enjoy playing, and I hope to hear some feedback :)

-SphereII

Edited by sphereii
Updating for V5 (see edit history)

If you do not play on EAC-protected servers, and just want to have a more enjoyable single-player experience, the 7D2D Mod Launcher includes a 7D2D Patcher utility built-in, which allows you to create, or apply, DLL patches.

Using the open source program called xdelta, we are able to make patch file based on two versions of a DLL file.

For instance, using herrophl's excellent work with the UABE tool, we were able to remove the second bloom, remove the sky fog, and add back in the 1-block crouch features. However, that only allowed us to have a 400M file, which was too big to download for some people.

The 7D2D Patcher creates a delta based on the original vanilla file, and the modded file, producing a patch file that is only 128 kilobytes in size. This file ends with the prefix 7D2DPatch, and is paired with an XML file.

The 7D2D Mod Launcher will look at the XML file, check the original file, and confirm that the patch was created for that DLL version. Then, it'll apply the patch, and verify that it meets the expected hash.

If the hash doesn't match, the patching is skipped.

What does bloom / sky fog removed look like?

Before:

tY9UqOil.png

After:

gQq6kyal.png

Video showing the 7D2D Patcher

This option is available under View -> Patches. The current patch is available for Alpha 14.7 only.

I will absolutely vouch and back sphereii hard work and expertise. He has put his all into this wonderful tool, and it is just absolutely wonderful. It has made my life, and the life of everyone on my servers so much easier. Have icons and progression files that dont push? Have them use this. You can make direct changes to your files server admins and you never have to ask everyone to update again, as long as they launch with this the new files will auto download to their pcs. It has saved me and others hours of frustration,'

Months in development and fine tuned, i stand behind this 100 percent and am proud to have even been able to call this man both a friend and a fellow server community member. You absolutely can not go wrong with this life saving tool.

I will absolutely vouch and back sphereii hard work and expertise. He has put his all into this wonderful tool, and it is just absolutely wonderful. It has made my life, and the life of everyone on my servers so much easier. Have icons and progression files that dont push? Have them use this. You can make direct changes to your files server admins and you never have to ask everyone to update again, as long as they launch with this the new files will auto download to their pcs. It has saved me and others hours of frustration,'

Months in development and fine tuned, i stand behind this 100 percent and am proud to have even been able to call this man both a friend and a fellow server community member. You absolutely can not go wrong with this life saving tool.

Thank you for the kind words. Let's hope this will make server administrators more flexible in the mods they can deploy!

Fedora Approved! :victorious:

Thank you for your mods, and your help, sir.

Hey sphereii long time no chat lol, glad you finally made the plunge and put this out there for all to use.

Will make a big difference to those of us who like to play the game using different mods from time to time.

Very long time no see! Thanks for your challenging test scenarios!

I've been using this for a few weeks and it works brilliantly :)

(also one of the reasons I've been promoting using GitHub to host mod files :) )

And thank you for trying to group the mods together. It works great!

Great work, SphereII! :)

It pales compared to what you have been contributing, sir! I hope this is just another piece of the puzzle!

Looks awesome. One question. I know this works with xml mods with icons but will this work for SDX mods

I'm not that familiar with SDX, I'll admit. So I cannot confirm one way or another if it works.

However, the launcher will install and patch anything you provide. So if you provide it with a modified DLL, it will find the original, and replace it. If you have a new directory structure, then the launcher will install the new structure. If you provide a 7D2DPatch file, it will patch large files while keeping the patch file small.

I would look forward to working with someone with SDX to test somethings out.

-SphereII

I looked into it, and seems to be mostly modded XML and .DLL files.

I followed the instructions and installed SDX, and tested the Double Barrel shotgun mod, as well as Hal's Turrent, Lawn Mower, and Michonne's Katana mod. I then created diff between the SDX installed folder, and my baseline, and generated a zip file ( using Beyond Compare 4).

The zip file in question is this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q4q3ddnos2i2qax/SDXTest.zip

I created a sample 7D2D Launcher config, which can be found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/SDX.xml

You can copy and paste that link, then, in the Launcher, click on "Open URL", and paste it in. You'll then have a new SDX mod available in the launcher.

Config Example:

XXAK7xLl.png

Game Screen:

PqySUXrl.png

By providing pre-made zip files, and configs, we can create mods that contains groupings of SDX mods, without the user needing to use the FrontEnd or installing SDX itself. It does not appear as if you need to update Settings.ini either.

For instance, if Spider has all the mods installed, and working, he could create a zip file of just the changed files, and share them.

It may not be ideal, or as easy as adding custom icons or XML changes, but then again, the SDX process is slightly more complex.

End users may not be able to make their own combinations without using SDX and FrontEnd, but we could provide some pre-made SDX mod combinations to get a good feel for them, and give it some more exposure.

Server Administrators could create these packages, and allow their clients to easily connect to their servers.

-SphereII

Added a new config to the SDX link from the posting above. It's called SphereII SDX Bigger, which is a larger download, at about 200M. But it includes more SDX mods, including CCTV, DoubleBarrel, HalArrow, HalChicken and Turret, Lawn Mower, Lucille, Medieval, Katana, Morte's Farming, Fishing, and Husbandry mods. I also included RangedWeapons and My Dogs, in addition to the Stone Oven, TargetDummer, and WhyAmINaked.

These mods combinations are more of a proof of concept project, rather than any kind of official mod. However, modders can create their own combination to create a solid game play experience based on themes.

As in the above post, you can click on Open URL in the launcher, and paste this link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/SDX.xml

Random Screenshots:

2I6lyYtl.png

CVsoT2Kl.png

Full Imgur Album

-SphereII

Edited by sphereii
adding images (see edit history)

Ty sir for your hard work! We at Forum Fanatics are proud to have you as a member and a friend.

With that said, I was hesitant at first to use this tool as I hate change. I preferred the old way of copying the 7d2d folder and pasting, downloading from the net the mods I needed, unzipping and dragging in the files, etc.

But after much hesitation because I am a stubborn b*stard, I tried it out, and have never regretted it since. This tool is an absolute must have if you play on modded servers, want a modded single player, or are a server admin and want a fast and easy way to distribute your mods. You will not dissapointed if you try this out. So if you are like me and hesitant to change, try this out anyway, and then you will REALLY be hesitant to change back to the old method.

TY SPHERE! You sir, are appreciated.

Thanks Rizzano, for the kind words.

I added a new config, available if you click on File -> Load Defaults again. This will load up a listing of previous alphas for you to play with, if you wanted to revisit some older versions of the game.

This includes Alpha 14.7 (for when 15 drops), 13.8, 12.5, 11.6, and 10.4. Also include the other beta branches, like the experimental branches with the different versions of unity.

To be clear, these are not modded, but rather just the base game. You'll want to use Advanced more, and use the Download From Steam functionality for these to work properly. It won't affect your current games.

FxrbSNSl.png

The Launcher configs have a <Version></Version tag which can specify which version of the game they are made for, which is read when you are downloading from Steam. So if your mod breaks on Alpha 15, we can specify alpha14.7 in the configs to make sure the players get the right version of the game, paired with your mods.

Enjoy the walk down memory lane,

-SphereII

Thanks Rizzano, for the kind words.

I added a new config, available if you click on File -> Load Defaults again. This will load up a listing of previous alphas for you to play with, if you wanted to revisit some older versions of the game.

This includes Alpha 14.7 (for when 15 drops), 13.8, 12.5, 11.6, and 10.4. Also include the other beta branches, like the experimental branches with the different versions of unity.

To be clear, these are not modded, but rather just the base game. You'll want to use Advanced more, and use the Download From Steam functionality for these to work properly. It won't affect your current games.

FxrbSNSl.png

The Launcher configs have a <Version></Version tag which can specify which version of the game they are made for, which is read when you are downloading from Steam. So if your mod breaks on Alpha 15, we can specify alpha14.7 in the configs to make sure the players get the right version of the game, paired with your mods.

Enjoy the walk down memory lane,

-SphereII

OMG, more amazing work! I am SO going to load up an old alpha and relive some of the past.

You simply can NOT stop amazing can you? Is there a limit to your awesomeness?

Thanks Jax!

And thanks for pointing me towards Pacco's Headbanger SDX mod, so I thought I'd try to get it working in the Mod Launcher as a proof of concept.

Good news! It was successful! There's no need to download or install SDX for this to work.

iHSek1Al.png

It's a rather large download, so any player who runs it the first time, may want to uncheck the "Refresh Mods Automatically" before playing again, otherwise it will try to re-download :)

I add 2 configurations: Head Banger's, and Head Banger's + PSG-1 DLC. I've also included the bloom and fog removal, as well as the 1-block crouch.

If you are interested in trying out this awesome SDX mod, in the Mod launcher, click on Open URL, and copy and paste this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/HeadBangers.xml

Here's a short album of screenshots I took of it. But by all means, check out Pacco's video link to really see the mod shine!

-SphereII

I've tinkered with LathMod Revised to come up with a ModLauncher-compatible zip file, but I'm not sure I understand the process properly. I use Envul.com to host my mod, and the download mod button changes the link location each time I make an update. For example, LathMod 3.51 used https://envul.com/download/1/531, but 3.52 uses https://envul.com/download/1/536/. I guess what I'm asking is, does the mod launcher compensates for the difference in download link locations?

I like the way Envul handles the mods, so I'd rather not switch over to DropBox or something.

Hey Latheos

Yeah, we noticed that envul produces a new link each time it gets an update. That could be fine, if you were just interested in a one-shot release, but for ongoing projects, it's challenging.

You could always update the Download link in the Launcher's config, but that is kind of tedious.

Have you checked out StompyNZ's 7Days2Mod github project? A lot of the current mods are coming from that. It allows you easily make changes and see changes, and the launcher supports it.

-SphereII

I've tinkered with LathMod Revised to come up with a ModLauncher-compatible zip file, but I'm not sure I understand the process properly. I use Envul.com to host my mod, and the download mod button changes the link location each time I make an update. For example, LathMod 3.51 used https://envul.com/download/1/531, but 3.52 uses https://envul.com/download/1/536/. I guess what I'm asking is, does the mod launcher compensates for the difference in download link locations?

I like the way Envul handles the mods, so I'd rather not switch over to DropBox or something.

check out guthub, it is way better than envul for hosting your mods ;)

An intro vid I made about a week after I started using github.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?46576-Using-GitHub-for-version-history-and-collaboration-on-mods

The short version is:

Make an account at github.com

download the desktop client at http://desktop.github.com

create a repo in the client

add your mod files to the repo folder on your machine

Commit the changes

Click publish (or sync if already published)

done.

any time you want to update you mod, just update the local files, use the desktop client to commit and sync, done.

If you want your mod in the 7days2mod org then I can either fork it from your account (but that currently requires an update merge from my side when you make changes) or I can add you as a member to the org and you can create mods in the org yourself.

org can be found at: https://github.com/7days2mod

Edited by StompyNZ (see edit history)

I'd glanced over it a while back, but it sounds like I'd be better served by taking a closer look, and possibly switching to that. I'm all for cutting down on the amount of work needed to keep my mod up to date. :)

Add me on steam if you need any help :)

Val has been finding it really handy to use and saves on a lot of effort of zipping and updating links etc :)

HELP>>>>

I looked into it, and seems to be mostly modded XML and .DLL files.

I followed the instructions and installed SDX, and tested the Double Barrel shotgun mod, as well as Hal's Turrent, Lawn Mower, and Michonne's Katana mod. I then created diff between the SDX installed folder, and my baseline, and generated a zip file ( using Beyond Compare 4).

The zip file in question is this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q4q3ddnos2i2qax/SDXTest.zip

I created a sample 7D2D Launcher config, which can be found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/SDX.xml

You can copy and paste that link, then, in the Launcher, click on "Open URL", and paste it in. You'll then have a new SDX mod available in the launcher.

Config Example:

XXAK7xLl.png

Game Screen:

PqySUXrl.png

By providing pre-made zip files, and configs, we can create mods that contains groupings of SDX mods, without the user needing to use the FrontEnd or installing SDX itself. It does not appear as if you need to update Settings.ini either.

For instance, if Spider has all the mods installed, and working, he could create a zip file of just the changed files, and share them.

It may not be ideal, or as easy as adding custom icons or XML changes, but then again, the SDX process is slightly more complex.

End users may not be able to make their own combinations without using SDX and FrontEnd, but we could provide some pre-made SDX mod combinations to get a good feel for them, and give it some more exposure.

Server Administrators could create these packages, and allow their clients to easily connect to their servers.

-SphereII

I follows everything and got the SDX tab installed then hit the copy fuction but when i try to PLAY it doesnt load and crashes..i have to force shut it down. any ideas sorry for small pics the uploader killed them

1421222199_Screenshot2016-08-2601_15_46.jpg.4a4c6e5406ac736f540d7706bc60657c.jpg

335113110_Screenshot2016-08-2601_14_28.jpg.40b6ca64fa634c360aa5a270ad3dcab2.jpg

Edited by coastie222 (see edit history)

I follows everything and got the SDX tab installed then hit the copy fuction but when i try to PLAY it doesnt load and crashes..i have to force shut it down. any ideas sorry for small pics the uploader killed them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15990[/ATTACH]

Hey coastie222

I did some more testing last night with the DLC of HeadBangers, and I was getting a similar error. I removed it from the Configuration until I could figure it out.

Would you mind trying Head Bangers, without the PSG?

-SphereII

• Crater Creator changed the title to The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die