Any Dark Tower fanatics out there?

rhud1979

So... Had an opportunity. The first download copy all the way to my mobile before I left, so the outgoing trip was a bust. The other two copies I got while at my destination... Well, one was missing chapter 1, and the other garbled out and started jumping chapters right after the gunslinger banged the bartender and broke the piano players wrists.

So far, my attempts to "read" this thing have been a bust.

Now that I'm back home I'll try xfering the first copy over to my mobile again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeh... My impressions? So far, "meh". Sword of shanarra already did the post apocalypse magic thing. And I hate deserts. Hope it picks up, but I will at least, finish book one.

King only wrote well as Bachman or in his short stories.

(Rage is probably my favorite book, like ever.)

So... Had an opportunity. The first download copy all the way to my mobile before I left, so the outgoing trip was a bust. The other two copies I got while at my destination... Well, one was missing chapter 1, and the other garbled out and started jumping chapters right after the gunslinger banged the bartender and broke the piano players wrists.

So far, my attempts to "read" this thing have been a bust.

Now that I'm back home I'll try xfering the first copy over to my mobile again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeh... My impressions? So far, "meh". Sword of shanarra already did the post apocalypse magic thing. And I hate deserts. Hope it picks up, but I will at least, finish book one.

King only wrote well as Bachman or in his short stories.

(Rage is probably my favorite book, like ever.)

Sword of Shanarra was hardly the first fantasy series to do that, and definitely not the last.

How do you hate deserts? The desert is an important part of the story.

I still have The Gunslinger and Drawing of The Three on audio cassette.

Kids, audio cassettes were a thing we listened to music on.

Stephen King actually reads Drawing of the Three, so if you can find that version, get it!

His voice bugs me whenever I see him do interviews or he cameos with a speaking part. I don't think I could listen to him read an audio book....

His voice bugs me whenever I see him do interviews or he cameos with a speaking part. I don't think I could listen to him read an audio book....

He could read it as his character Jordy from Creepshow. That would be interesting...

But yeah, I can understand how his voice could bug someone.

Listening to Neil Gaiman read his own works is amazing, though. But that man could publish his grocery list and I'd buy three copies.

I hate deserts because they're so... desolate. I also hate ships-at-sea books. I like possibilities, and in a desert and ship-at-sea book it usually turns to blah blah blah boring.

Deserts are thriving with possibility... and this just isn't any desert.

But, yeah, stay off the water. I don't know why people are so in love with pirates. So boring.

• 1 year later...
So Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series has always been an obsession of mine. I've not really tried out the comics per se, but I've read the entire book series at least 4 times, along with all of his other stories that somehow tie in to it.

So this may be old news for other fans, but I just simply didn't know about it... Apparently there is finally a legit movie version in the works. I am a combination of stoked and nervous. Stoked because I think if they do it correctly it could easily be one of the best movies (or more likely series of movies) ever to hit the screen. Nervous because the chances of them nailing it are just not that great. But here's hoping...

The nerves mainly come because 1) King's stories so rarely adapt well to film, and 2) The scope of this story is... well, big. It will take an incredibly well put together production and a very high budget to do it right... and at this point I have no idea if either of those things are in the cards.

Either way, I'm excited to see where this goes. If the film(s) fall flat, I'll always have the books to fall back on... But if they somehow manage to really capture the story... Man, I hope they do. :rockon:

On a side-note, the Marvel comic for the darktower is awesome. They unfold the story a bit different than the books. Instead of time jumping back and forth they reveal the plot in a more chronological order. Fantastic artwork by Jae Lee as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed this thread got resurrected at some point... not that I've been around much lately to notice earlier. But yeah, the movie... Not good. On its own merits, maybe an ok movie... but given the story it is supposed to be at least loosely based on, just terrible.

Gup, I noticed you never mention reading or listening to anything beyond the first book... stick it out through book two, dude. The desert doesn't last forever, homie. And the story gets... much more interesting.

The audio book I downloaded was missing some chapters, or something was out of whack... But the story just didn't interest me enough to even find a better copy. I saw the movie trailers and they weren't interesting either, although quite obviously nothing like the book.

Archived