Server Managers

rm304

I wrote an app that connects to the server via telnet, reads the incoming telnet stream and looks for key words every x seconds, then after finding those words, updates an access database with the data I want read from those words. Then my website reads from that db, and is set to an x second refresh. Nice one day I'll learn this.

I am in no means a programmer, but like you, I've a passion for computing. So I got on google, did a lot of research on writing in VB, wrote the app, got the help of Trekkan for the parts I couldn't figure out (he's the dude who wrote the RAT server manager), which ended up just being a better way for me to do what I was already doing, and I have it running on a spare computer. I have 2 spare laptops and use my PC as my primary. RAT is running on one if the laptops. what is VB?

I truly do plan to release it, as well as my website code, but all of the configuration is hard coded (the name of the db, what folder the game is in, etc) and I need to migrate that to some sort of setup form before releasing.

I understand all that is said there.. I will learn great things from this awesome community..

maybe I should start small like learning coding for mods to work.. such as integration with lua, c#, etc..

undertaking the whole SM is large and I appreciate the Hard work these guys or gals are doing..

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday it said it's up. It will even test positive to your server, but their "system health" page showed 0%, and it's completely non-functional.

Today I see green dots again, and the status page is giving me a 504 error. Dunno if it's actually working though. I can't test atm.

Have got to switch to botman or something soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Did CBSM Die? I can't seem to run it anymore.

I love Envul/CBSM, but the support is horrible. I have TWO paid subscriptions for TWO servers through them and I can't get any help. Out of the 5 or 6 requests for support I've sent, I've received one reply that asked for more info. I provided that info and never heard from him again. CBSM has a lot of cool features, but several don't work or don't work well. It has so much potential, but I think the owner just takes in money and has it on auto pilot. There are never updates or bugs fixed and every server manager I've talked to has the same frustration. I wish there were a really GOOD cloud based server manager out there with developers that have the passion to keep it going and keep making it better. I would PAY MORE FOR THAT than I'm already paying.

Detecting players cheating/hacking?

Which of these are good for detecting people cheating/hacking? I have a server through hosthavoc atm and before I decide to open it up to a gaming community I belong to I wanted to see if their was a program that can log this kind of stuff. I like botman but I am unsure if I can use it on my server.

Which of these are good for detecting people cheating/hacking? I have a server through hosthavoc atm and before I decide to open it up to a gaming community I belong to I wanted to see if their was a program that can log this kind of stuff. I like botman but I am unsure if I can use it on my server.

IMHO, Botman is likely the best for this. CBSM has some detection, but I find it to be buggy most of the time. You should be able to use Botman, and Smeg is pretty helpful if you run into setup issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Although RAT and Servertools are both good and between them, I can get what I need done except one thing:

The only thing I miss about CBSM was monitoring Server Remotely via mobile. Is there one that does this?

I left CBSM because Alanine disappeared, thus support vanished as well.

- - - Updated - - -

CBSM spammed messages with promotional items. There was no support when I stopped managing my server. I was a paid memeber, like many others; I refuse to pay membership until someone verifies support has returned

Although RAT and Servertools are both good and between them, I can get what I need done except one thing:

The only thing I miss about CBSM was monitoring Server Remotely via mobile. Is there one that does this?

- - - Updated - - -

CBSM spammed messages with promotional items. There was no support when I stopped managing my server. I was a paid memeber, like many others; I refuse to pay membership until someone verifies support has returned

Even when you turn the feature off, it still spams your server.

Pretty sure CBSM is a ghost ship atm.

I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve here, but maybe Botman with the new iRC Panel will fit your needs. It's something I'm still in the process of setting up and testing. (Life just kicks me in the ass every time I start to make progress.)

- - - Updated - - -

My Botman server manager has remote monitoring via IRC. You can use an IRC client or a very nice web client that I host which is much better IMO. Its not graphical, but it works well and you can see everything you would need to. Besides that the bot is a competent admin in its own right and it will report and deal with hackers and will help you see who might be cheating.

I'm sorry to report it doesn't spam you with ads and the service and support is rock solid. Terribly sorry about that xD

Even when you turn the feature off, it still spams your server.

Pretty sure CBSM is a ghost ship atm.

I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve here, but maybe Botman with the new iRC Panel will fit your needs. It's something I'm still in the process of setting up and testing. (Life just kicks me in the ass every time I start to make progress.)

Botman has been on my radar for quite sometime, however, installation is a pain for people like me who get lost with incomplete install instructions..

My Botman server manager has remote monitoring via IRC. You can use an IRC client or a very nice web client that I host which is much better IMO. Its not graphical, but it works well and you can see everything you would need to. Besides that the bot is a competent admin in its own right and it will report and deal with hackers and will help you see who might be cheating.

I'm sorry to report it doesn't spam you with ads and the service and support is rock solid. Terribly sorry about that xD

I have looked at your thread on numerous occasions. In fact as I posted there, if installation was simple and instructions were complete, I would definitely give it a try. One might argue it is complete, but i beg to differ: The instructions state "this is considering you have already and installed *blah blah blah* " sorry I am not a Computer genius, I try to learn as best I can with the time I have available RIL.

What we need all in one GBL; so far the old one is not maintained (forgot who maintained it).. The CBSM one is wonky at best..

I enjoy hosting, have been hosting for 2yrs now;

• 2 weeks later...

Just set up my first hosted servers this month. Just a few friends at the moment. Do I need a server manager? Do I need alloc's fixes? I feel like after I've had them, I'll wonder how I managed without them. But right now... well... where should I start?

I'm in the same boat. CBSM is getting worse and worse. Botman is also on my radar. Is it ready for Window not just Linux?

Not yet but I've solved the issue that was blocking a Windows bot from being possible. I just need to convert the database from MySQL to SQLite3. I'm not sure how much work that'll be but not a small task and there will be some loss of features since Windows is missing some important tools that the bot uses.

Botman has been on my radar for quite sometime, however, installation is a pain for people like me who get lost with incomplete install instructions..;

I want to get the instructions updated soon. Yesterday I posted 3 videos in my support thread on here in which I set up a VM and a bot from scratch. I need to add a 4th video later that shows how to set up the remote monitoring (IRC). I'm tied up with work committments atm >.<

I think your botman is a hit Smegs. Im with the rest of these guys though. Im going to check out your vid tuts promptly, however what we really want is to press a button and download a working tool. Ive seen the bot working from a client end, and found it impressive.. ive looked into installation from a host end, and the installation made me want to gouge out my eyes with a wooden spoon. lol XD... But its nice work fo sure, I look forward to using it when i can figure out how to install it :p

• 3 weeks later...

Botman

I have used most of the managers out there over the last 3 years managing a server. I loved CBSM until I found BOTMAN. Yes if you don't know how to use linux and you don't know anyone willing and capable to help you set a Bot up then your only 2 options I can think of are to rent a botman server or find a less powerful manager. BOTMAN has been worth renting imo. The very fast patches Smegzor provides BOTMAN at every patch and alpha drop tells me a lot about Smegzors balanced dedication and passion to his project and that makes me feel confident he is not going to abandon BOTMAN for sometime. Granted there are some hiccups that need his attention from time to time but he always finds time to solve those issues. I finally get to play because BOTMAN does almost all the work I usually have to do my self. I highly recommend everyone try very hard and find a way to get this masterpiece manager just to make your life managing a server much more easier.

For those using BOTMAN i also recommend setting up a wiki page for your botman, we took the time to set up our own rough wiki about botman to help us find commands faster because there are so many, something like 500 commands, maybe more.

I have used most of the managers out there over the last 3 years managing a server. I loved CBSM until I found BOTMAN. Yes if you don't know how to use linux and you don't know anyone willing and capable to help you set a Bot up then your only 2 options I can think of are to rent a botman server or find a less powerful manager. BOTMAN has been worth renting imo. The very fast patches Smegzor provides BOTMAN at every patch and alpha drop tells me a lot about Smegzors balanced dedication and passion to his project and that makes me feel confident he is not going to abandon BOTMAN for sometime. Granted there are some hiccups that need his attention from time to time but he always finds time to solve those issues. I finally get to play because BOTMAN does almost all the work I usually have to do my self. I highly recommend everyone try very hard and find a way to get this masterpiece manager just to make your life managing a server much more easier.

For those using BOTMAN i also recommend setting up a wiki page for your botman, we took the time to set up our own rough wiki about botman to help us find commands faster because there are so many, something like 500 commands, maybe more.

If you check the botman thread, someone has started a wiki for the commands, and some one else did a txt document on step by step install starting with installation of a virtual machine and software.

Botman

If you check the botman thread, someone has started a wiki for the commands, and some one else did a txt document on step by step install starting with installation of a virtual machine and software.

Yea, that is our wiki. I really hope Smegz0r does find the time to make it better. We went at it like noobz but it does help us find answers very fast. Actually we can thank our Dev. Freeman for the wiki since he set it up on his network, the rest of us just started copy pasting from BOTMAN website and updating old commands as we went along. Hope it helps others.

Update from Alanine on 7/19/2017:

"Hey guys,

The project is actually still active.

In case of issue, can provide details using the support page, and citing your service ID.

--

*Have finally located details to this forum account after changing workstations, ugh. Sorry! "

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?29827-CBSM-Cloud-based-Server-Manager&p=691928&viewfull=1#post691928

Archived