Share your Survival Story

The Fun Pimp

My favorite survival story happened during testing right after we switched over to the new Unity system. One team member (The British Guy) built this really elaborate two story base out of redwood planks, with spikes around the outside.

Many of us, being too lazy to build bases every day, would mooch at the British Guy's place.

One of those moochers was The Other British Guy. I don't remember exactly what he did, but as I recall, it involved augering out a whole ton of rock nearby, eating a Venison Stew (and then leaving the rest of the stack on his belt), and then going AFK for 30 minutes.

Back in those days between the Unity update and the addition of speed trees, you could have a LOT of Zombies. Did I mention that it was time for the Feral Horde to spawn?

About 400 came, and they made a beeline for The Other British Guy. I was underground in the huge new caves, mining for my new stilt design I was playing around with. Florida Guy had his own base, and Islander Guy and German guy weren't on, so we didn't find out about it until Other British Guy came back from AFK.

The rest of us tried to help stop the carnage at Poor British guy's house once morning came, but literally-- at the end of the fight -- there was only a tiny sliver of the base left. Other British Guy died like 5 times until they killed his sleeping bag and he spawned far away. As soon as I heard what was going on I dropped one in the cave I was in.

The fight was fun, it was like murdering the entire crowd of a Lollapalooza, I had never laughed so hard in game in my life. There were so, so many dogs, though-- But I managed not to die. Other British Guy was still trying to rebuild British Guy's house when he logged in, and we laughed for a long time all over again while he tried to explain what happened.

---

Fake Signature Line that's really just a cheap plug for my YouTube Channel

I have many stories. But this one happened not to long ago, a fresh scar if you will.

I was playing on a PVP server alone, surviving alone in the desert. I never had a home, just kept drifting. Until one day I made a small shack to last a couple of days. I spent one night in that shack, everything ok. Then I saw a plane fly over head and drop a crate so I ran to go get the crate, it was close and I got to its destination before it landed. While I was waiting a guy, who was poorly equipped as he still had plant finer clothes and a club, came up. I said hey, buzz off before I have to kill you, the guy ran away then some zombies came and I killed them. While I was killing them the crate landed and the guy took everything, so I chased him down, told him to drop the stuff or I would kill him (I gave him a chance) but he kept running so I shot him with a bow then smacked him over the head with a barbed club a couple times and killed him. Walking home, two men (who I could only assume were with the other guy according to their state) came out and asked me if I had just kill a guy, I said yes so they tried to kill me with their fists and a club. I had taken damage as I was surprised but out of anger and frustration I beat the daylights out of the one with the club until he died, then his corpse. I had taken some hits and had to run from the last guy who chased me, pulling out a bow and shooting me. I was bleeding, these people were more equipped than I thought... but I could take em'. As I healed in a valley I heard him calling my name and saying he just wanted to talk, then he began to mock me saying oh... to scared there kane? This pissed me off so I found him, the sun was setting and we both stood in a valley. I knew one man would make it out. The mocking continued, the fact that he thought I was to scared and couldn't kill him pissed me off even more. I told him YOUR ♥♥♥♥ING WITH THE WRONG GUY! We then charged each other and began beating each other to death using every advantage possible to win. By a hair of life (16) I walked away from it. But the ♥♥♥♥ show was not over... naw we then went on commercial.

I met a new guy, I said follow me. He was new to the game so I teached him how to play and took him in. I found a tazar's axe or what ever you call it and traded it for a faulty 44 magnum (I figured it was better) so I made the deal with this guy and got the 44. A feral horde and a couple days later we needed ammo and sent my new friend to go trade for some. He then told me he needed help, he told me to run faster than the wind and that this was it. Confused I ran to my new friends rescue. I never received any more info from him, until some chick said she had some. I met her on a road at night and when she was talking to me (I gave her food in return)... this where ♥♥♥♥ flung at the fan and gave the walls a new paint job. Out of the silent night light came from a hill as well as a loud boom, multiple. I saw blood spray from this girl as she was being shot to death, but something told me that they missed their target. I stood for a moment as her body fell to floor, everything was silent as she dropped then I ran and hid behind a tree and bandaged myself as a bullet or two hit me. My mind raced, trying to analyses the situation, they were better equipped, smg... or AK, my mind focused on my lost friend and saving him until I heard his voice say ♥♥♥♥ we killed the wrong guy. Anger flowed through my body so I sneaked around and followed them to their fort. I found my way in and took my revolver (and everything else they had, sabotaged everything, beds supports... it was all rigged). I was leaving but then I saw him standing in the middle of the forge area, I said hey ♥♥♥♥er and shot him a couple times then set off some explosives and watched the whole place come tumbling down as I fought off the remaining survivors and runners coming at us. By luck 2 got eaten before they flanked me as I killed the others while they were running to cover (bout 1-2 of them) then I killed the remaining zombies. That was the extent of drama and killing there. Anyway it was pretty intense and one of the best stories I have to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up naked in the woods, I have no clue what happend, but i guessed it must be the Zombie apokalypse, So I gathered materials and trained my crafting skills. After half a day my hands where sore, I was sitting in a pile of stoneaxes and wooden clubs and still no Zombie... so I guess I was wrong... so i moved on, found some nests crafted a bow for hunting and arrows and there, a Zombie...I shoot him... and hammed the ♥♥♥♥ out of him with a stoneaxe until one bones where left... hmm ever heard of boneknifes? good for taking dears apart... So i moved, killed Zs. and hunted some animals... und close to night I found a descent house with a forge perfect for me. Made some Iron and arrow tips, but i was runing out of water, so i had to move on...

Next day in a car I found a pretty ♥♥♥♥ty chainsaw...I thought whatever, ill take it...

at night i found again a nice house, barricaded myself on the upper floor.... and at night a Zombie had found me... mourning, hitting something in the floor under me... killing my nervs... I tried to build with wood a platform so i can see it, but when i jumped on top of it, i hit a wooden bar with my head and fall onto the spikes on the flor, jumpind around I threw in panik my hammer away and graped the first thing to defend myself... the chainsaw... a clean cut and the Z stoped getting on my nerfes and relaxed through the rest of the night.

20160503042708_1.thumb.jpg.666e25e68b23d37bbe5b9632a07c25bb.jpg

After that I thought i need a real defendable home and had concrete dreams... so near the city i dugg a hole in the ground, mined stone and made a lot of concrete while living of the flesh i hunted the days before. I was ready at day 7 and in the night they hit me in large Numbers... but my bunker was tough enough...

20160503075824_1.thumb.jpg.6f702b626f609c9acb59522e143b01f3.jpg

And in the morning my first crobs have been grown

20160503075916_1.thumb.jpg.15dd3664e1f84402f962c562dd78004b.jpg

I think i will survive...

On a PvP server, I met a guy dressed up as Preston Garvey, with the name above his head and all. He told me another settlement needed my help from raiders, with a soundboard (I was almost rolling on the floor at this point). He gives me a hunting rifle and we go to these "raiders". They have AKs and Rocket Launchers. We last about four or five seconds.

Never trust Preston Garvey, kids.

After building my 'State-of-the-art' epic and 'invincible' fortress that was suspended over a large pit. I moved away from my 'primitive' fort that also kept me alive for two horde attacks.

After moving all my critical items to my beautiful new fortress I was going to take a photo to show you all what a master I was at this game... but there was this one block that didn't look good being there. No problem, it should have no SI affect at all.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG???

Here is my dream fortress now (with all my critical items: leather, food, water, feathers, brass, lead)...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15088[/ATTACH]

I lived through that! By pure luck, I was standing on one of the four pillars that 'held things up' LOL

Oh yeah, day 21 horde attack coming right up!

Kind of a long one so I cut out a lot of the 'boring' details.

Most of this is from memory so I had to add a little to make it vaguely more interesting (I can't remember if you can still break down bullets for gunpowder)

Day... uuh... fifteen.

I'm infected...

Damn dogs... I thought I could outrun them, but I wasn't watching where I was going and a damn walker got me! While i'm staggering around stunned, four-legged day-ruiner sinks its damn teeth into my leg!

I'm not going to give in! I survived the horde! I survived two! I can survive this! I can make it!

Day 16.

No medicine yet. Getting hungry.

I had to abandon my shack when the horde came through the wall.

I'm in the desert now and it's just so hot! I can't... no. I have to keep going!

I have a can of dog-food left and i'm trying to put off eating it for now. Trying.

I still have a few bottles of that tea I made. It tastes awful, but nothing quenches my thirst like it!

I found a backpack by the side of the road. Inside was a pistol! a working handgun! I admit, I don't think it will last long. it rattles a bit when I shake it and I think that the bit on top moves more than it should... I don't have any idea how to take this thing apart so I'm just going to hav-

damn! Piece of crap pistol couldn't even kill one zombie! Fat bastard was creeping up on me as I wrote my journal. I have a few bullets left, but I can't justify keeping the gun... no gun, bullets are just wasted space, so I'm going to leave them both in an empty stump.

Fat-arsed rotface came from a campsite. I lucked out! There is a cooking pot here and a campfire! I climbed a hill and found a pond and filled up the empty bottles left from my tea. Drinking the boiled water and then boiling s'more for my travels...

No more food. If anyone asks, I threw the dog-food away... It reminded me of school dinners...

Day 17

Not feeling so good... I've been starving all night and all day, I'm starting to really feel it. Plus, I think I have heatstroke.

Made myself a hat out of the grass and it helps a little, but I had to tear my armour apart just so that it took up less space!

I am a little scared. I havn't seen a hospital or a pharmacy for days... I can't give up hope, but I might have to be realistic.

On the up-shot, I found a wrecked car and inside was a magazine that showed all the working parts of a magnum! All those parts I have back home would be so useful now I know how to put them together properly...

I am going to head back. I'm sick of this desert and maybe some of my supplies made it?

I AM THE MIGHTY HUNTER! I killed a rabbit and am having boiled bunny-bits for breakfast! I got a little lucky that the stupid rodent ran into the tent, but I'm eating tonight and not going to worry. I even got a bit of hide that i'm going to tan and replace my armour with when I get back home.

Day eighteen.

I can't stop coughing... the infection... I had almost forgotten. It's too easy to forget when you're walking all day.

I'm seeing the occasional walker, but unless they spot me, i'm just sneaking by. I don't have time to waste on-

Oh god... I think I knew her...

A nurse. She looked like a woman I knew... but she had a bottle of antibiotics!

I hope these help... if I don't wake up, I want whoever found this note to know that I NEVER GAVE UP!

Day nineteen

Back home. working hard on digging out the wreckage of my home.

I didn't realise how tired I was until I took the antibiotics. I have piratically ran all the way back!

The shack isn't as bad as I thought! Sure, the roof came down and all my crates are under heaps of wrecked stone, metal and wood, but I can use that stuff! I'm furling the campfire to brew up some more of that horrible-tasting tea and the deer I was able to shoot with my new magnum.

Sure, it was a little overkill... but I'm not going to let this world push me around any more!

I have dug myself a tunnel to the farm-house on the other side of the road. Rebuilt my shack and repaired it with some metal and tomorrow, I'm going to raid the town!

Day twenty

Ok... knackered and bleeding.

I was lucky with that air-drop. If I hadn't grabbed the med-kits out of it, I would have been toast!

I am so sick of dogs! I swear they're straight from hell!

In other news, I'm getting better with the bow. Good thing too since I'm going to be making some Iron arrowheads when I get back!

Ripped a car apart, scavenged a few houses and skinned every four-legged ♥♥♥♥er I saw!

going to take a long route home and try to spot another deer before nightfall

Bacon and eggs. Man, I never thought I'd eat like this again!

I'm going to spend tomorrow scavenging the town. I barely even scratched the surface today, so i'm going to travel light and try not to leave anything behind!

Day 21

Taking a moment to eat a can of peas. I found them under the sink. Who keeps peas under the sink? What were these people like?

I know what they looked like... And that it took a few more arrows than I would have liked to deal with him. Peas under the sink... strange people...

Hearing strange noises outside. Too much activity!

I waited far too long before heading back. Battling with a blasted safe! (Now, I have a fully-working shotgun and back home, I have a nice stockpile of shells.)

Crap! I think one of them heard me!

They're attacking the door... quick, I need to craft some... some... Hay-bales! That works!

Making a bridge between the buildings using some wood and scrap-metal frames I cobbled together. They're at the back door and it won't hold long!

WOO! Made it! I'm on the roof and running free!

Need to get home with

out these things seeing

me. Sprinting as fast as

i can through the woods...

Day 22

Well, The horde must have wandered off. Just in time for me to make my forge and start crafting better arrows. I'm making shotgun shells too, since I have a lot of paper and some gunpowder from those other rounds I broke down.

Next time a zombie knocks at my door, I'm just going to blow that ♥♥♥♥ers head off!

Xane Tempest, Survivor. If you're reading this, then make these pages into s'more shells! Survive!

i remember just starting on a server it was night so i went looking for the first building i could find happened to come across the 0,0 city still night time and after getting into the first building i could find a dog horde comes and smells the meat on me i had no wood at this point and was in

a bookstore ground floor hiding in the toilet at the time just as i was going to store my meat in a cupboard the dogs broke in and i ended up running for the exit just to find 5 dogs there which killed me nearly instantly. was annoyed as f at the time so i decided i wanted my backpack

been that you only ever started with 1 land claim block and was essential to getting a safe place to start storing your items. it was just turning day when i was killed so after re-spawning i just ran strait for my bag no items nothing when i got to my bag the dogs were still there in the shop as i opened my bag i got killed again. happened about 5 times over and over but when i eventually escaped with my gear.

i just ran out of the city and started heading to the first bunker i could find. so after a few hours running along the roads nearly at the edge of the map i got a place set up placed the land claim and stored my stuff and a feral horde breaks in and kills me in my bunker no sleeping bag down nothing. so i end up running back to my bunker over and over again trying to get them out of there so i could get my stuff. in the end i managed to find a few oil barrels and some landmines so i placed the mines next to the barrels and got them to chase me over the mines managed to kill them in the end but god did it take like 12h irl to do all this and started my first base with about 20 deaths XD

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just playing through an intense night in my modded Navezgane world. I've made mining helmets very rare, so I'm relying on torches. I've made infection more crippling over the full seven days you're infected, and I'm suffering from stage two infection. This means my stamina regen is almost matched by stamina drain: melee tires me very quickly, running too. I'm playing on 25% loot abundance with no respawns so feathers are at a premium and I have eleven stone arrows to my name.

It's pitch black (another mod, no street lights, signs, house lights etc) and dead quiet (no electricity noises). As I said, I'm infected. I know I need medicine if the next five days aren't going to be a real pain, so I'm heading for Diersville when night falls and I end up passing a tool shop. I can't fight the zombies I encounter: too many enemies, too little stamina considering the infection, and too dark to forgo my torch (and it's too weak to use as a weapon in such circumstances). In desperation I run up on to an adjacent, rickety, run-down bridge and hope, hope, hope it holds my weight.

It did. The zombies have been sniffing around underneath me, occasionally whacking the supports (each metal thud makes me wonder if the bridge is coming down this time), taunting me by walking just inside my torch-light for a brief second... too brief to take aim and kill them, too brief to risk my limited arrows.

All I can hear is shuffling feet and the moaning of the undead. It's 02:00.

It's going to be a long night.

Ok, so I survived. I waited until it was light enough to see silhouettes and then descended to fight. After dispatching them I ran on to Diersville.

Despite raiding the entire hospital, killing a dog, and avoiding zombies at every turn, I was unable to find antibiotics. I did however find a beaker, which will help the next time I get infected because I can now cook the basic antibiotic to heal stage one infection. That is, if I ever get home with this ailment draining my energy every few seconds.

I'm now on stage 3 infection, no stamina, health dropping, wellness deteriorating slowly. I daren't move from my bed. I keep popping painkillers and using healing items to maintain my health. I hear zombies outside but can't do much to stop them, I only have 23 arrows and I need those to hunt meat. I have to hope they don't notice me.

Ok, so this is how it went.

New player to the game; friends own and play on the server and via TS they explain the basics. They are already into day 30 if I remember correctly and I decline the option of a teleport to join them for safety.

It’s bright, green, and fairly pretty as my eyes adjust to my surroundings. A stone, oh goody! Really, I have to punch a tree for some wood? Ok, I will then. Ah, that’s how to make an axe – check me out!

It’s time to move, I’m told again via TS that I want to find a town and get myself some loot and a place to lay a bedroll, so I head up through the trees and over the hill in front.

As I roll over the brow of the hill, I see more tall trees, grass and a few bin bags, so I scavenge a bit, grab some grass and cut down a few trees on the way. I finally see something in the distance that has similarities to a building, oh and another silhouette of what can only be described as a castle, yes a castle! My friends are like ‘serious? We are the only other players on this server just now and we have that castle’.

‘Ok, well I’ve found you, and I’m on my way.’ I stop and loot a sports bag and I pick up a club.. banging! Bring it on world!

Then I heard it… I hadn’t taken this game seriously yet, it was all too pretty and nice. It was all too safe. Yes, I had seen the Zombies but I had understood fairly early on that these things were no threat to me as long as I kept my distance.

I was pretty close to a shop by now and the outline of the castle ahead was a lot clearer. I glanced, left and right as I am sure I heard it. Nothing. I check once more behind me and there it is. It’s like watching Resident Evil all over again, the mutated Doberman staring me in the face in 4k. It’s not a pretty sight and the thing is fast, lightning fast. There is no way I’m making it to the castle.

My friends are laughing now as I’ve mentioned my new found friend. Just run is the advice they give me, try and run in and around trees – you can make it to us (giggling as they say it).

I run by the shop, jump through the window thinking I’m good, the front door was closed, no way he is getting me now. The damned dog jumped through the window too. OK, I’m panicking now, no graceful moves, no slight pressing of the keyboard – I’m frantically smashing the keys on my Razer Blackwidow keyboard. I get up on the shelves and the dog is right below me. A lot of noise and I think I’m fine but then I see a bleed logo and he is actually tearing the flesh from my heel.

Crash, Bang, Wallop! The beast is dead! Clubbed from above, he had little chance… but wait I’m still bleeding.

Ahhh, a bandage. Saved. 31% health and then my friend walks in… ‘need any help?’

’Get outta here, I don’t need you’.

Ok, so I did, and yes, I went and stayed in the safety of their castle. And that is how I became a fanatic of 7DTD. My first experience… but I survived! Just.

Another survival story from tonight's game.

I was raiding a basement and had my back turned to the stairs. A couple of windows were nearby. I was hammering down wooden boards blocking my access when I heard a breaking window. No big deal, I thought. Until I heard the growl, and spun, and saw a dog coming through for me. I switched to my machete (recently found too, lucky me) and chopped it to bits, but not before it ripped chunks out of me and made me bleed.

Luckily there were no other zombies around, so I was able to raid nearby houses and turned up some healing items to restore my health.

Nice one! That was a great first game, but so unlucky running into that dog.

Yes, dogs are the reason I tend not to scavenge too far from my base now. Im known as mr support... I mine for everyone, craft for everyone and will go on a scavenge hunt with my friends, but in general I dont venture too far on my own as each time I do, I get chased back by those infidel dogs!

All my stories would typically involve dogs, they always seem to find me, perhaps one of my friends put dog food in my backpack without me knowing :p

Yes, dogs are the reason I tend not to scavenge too far from my base now. Im known as mr support... I mine for everyone, craft for everyone and will go on a scavenge hunt with my friends, but in general I dont venture too far on my own as each time I do, I get chased back by those infidel dogs!

All my stories would typically involve dogs, they always seem to find me, perhaps one of my friends put dog food in my backpack without me knowing :p

I do the same....mining and crafting...don't go too far from base, and dogs seem to come to me always! I do enjoy running around with my friends, but not alone. And on dog day, I go underground and mine! I place frames in the entrance so I don't get any surprises, LOL

• 1 month later...

I survive round after round in my sister and boyfriend's world. It's a friendly world but McFly (the boyfriend) has it in for me.

I suppose it could have something to do with me building them an out-house near their home once. It was a nice out-house but I forgot to tell them that in the hole under the toilet... there was about 20 sticks of dynamite and a hidden trail of dynamite that led out about 50 yards. When McFly went to check it out I fired a rifle shot into the last stick of explosive and sat and admired the 'KaBOOM' chain of explosions that ended with a HUGE Blast and the out-house vaporizing, leaving a smoking great hole. Or it could be that there was some unforgotten animosity about how I killed my sister when she tried to come visit me. Honestly... I didn't expect her and jump-scare pulled the trigger.

There's more... but you can see how things can get "miss-construed". We all make mistakes.

So now, when I accidentally died while exploring a new Military Base and I run to get my Back-Pack.. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised to see that there was a 3 block layer of plate-mines surrounding the Back-Pack. I was actually thinking how cool it was that my Back-Pack landed on a nifty platform of metal when I blew up. I'm sure he put them there... he was in the vicinity when I died.

But maybe he didn't. I'm sure he and my sister aren't holding a grudge. Who am I kidding... they BOTH have it in for me.

My first game was definitely my most memorable as with most people. I started playing in alpha 1 :p, but I decided to setup on the roof of the prefab brick structures like 99% of people, night was approaching and I was locking myself away up here with my trusty mattress and corpse-buddy :D, the next day I decide to loot one of the houses across the road, this was my first mistake...

I looted the house fairly easily, I found a pistol and shotty with a butt load of ammo (if you didn't play alpha 1 being on the roof of a brick house with guns is essentially gg), I then decide to head up to the attic, since my sound on my pc was broken I didn't here the 40 or so zombies up there trying to get at me, so as soon as I climbed up the ladder I am greeted with some less than friendly faces...

They use the knock back and my fear to their advantage and I somehow end up in the attic with 40 sprinting zombies (for those of you who didn't play alpha 1 zombie sprinting was based of light level not time of day, which is a feature I want back :p), I somehow managed to escape it with about 2 health left, but one of the zombies managed to find it's way down and chased me outside, where it started walking and then was easily killed. I then looted the other houses making a clear note not to go into dark buildings and to keep my own building lit up, nothing special happened after that. I did however spend a good hour making sure my sound was working so that didn't happen again...

That night I was on my roof crafting and cooking when I hear some block breaking downstairs, "eh, it's probably just some random spawns" I thought to myself, yeah this was my second mistake...turns out the zombies in the attic had broken out of said attic and where now tearing through my base, this was the most terrifying moment of the 7dtd life! I quickly crouch over my ladder and start shooting them, taking them out with my crossbow, being glad that alpha 2 hadn't been released yet (alpha 2 added spider zombies and bees), but then, a wild zombie managed to get up the ladder and I ♥♥♥♥ myself, in a desperate attempt at survival, I jumped from the roof landing on a tree and I managed to hide in another house until morning...

From that moment forward I have been eternally terrified of dark houses and attics :p

This just happens to be the review I left in the Steam marketplace.

It goes a little something like this...

Last night a friend and I were making our way through a bombed out city. It was getting dark and we came across a building that was mostly intact, All the other buildings were missing large chunks and were falling apart. we decided to enter the building (which appeared to be a large apartment high rise) and seek shelter for the night. We had to break boards off the front door to get in. Did this mean the building was sealed from before the outbreak...and therefore safe?

(shrug)

We settled in an apartment on a lower floor as it got dark, You don't wanna be outside at night, At night...they can RUN, FAST. A horde is scary enough during the day, 20 zombies or so shambling along...maybe trying to catch up to you. But...at night a horde is terrifying. A screeching, sprinting mob racing through the dark. The dead don't get tired...but you do.

Finding lots of supplies in the cupboards and what not. We didn't realize that all the noise we were making...as night fell...was disturbing the tenants of the building. Of course the entire building was inhabited by zombies...all locked in their apts ever since it all started. They must have been dormant until we disturbed them. The screams and bangs and crashes from all around us got louder as the darkness became absolute. You could hear walls, and doors and even the ceiling starting to give way. We had a long wait for dawn. We couldn't stand the pitch darkness anymore, it made the cacophony that much worse. In the server I set up...The darkness of night lasts a full half hour or so and that's how long we sat there in the near pitch blackness listening to the zombies tear the building apart around us. We couldn't make a run for it because all the noise that our neighbors were making was attracting other nearby hordes on the outside of the building.

As dawn broke...so was the rear wall of our unit....they were getting in...

fun game!

(I didn't even mention the zombie dobermans.)

I never mentioned in the review how we got away. Mostly because it was a little anti-climactic. We just left the apartment and ran out of the building the way we came in. The zoms were all concentrated on the back of the building. We didn't dare try such a daring escape while it was still dark.

Iv'e always said this was one of the scariest games Iv'e ever played. Iv'e never experienced the prolonged dread that I did that night in any other game...not even close. I almost felt like I was going a little insane in the dark listening to the destruction around me.

This just happens to be the review I left in the Steam marketplace.

It goes a little something like this...

Last night a friend and I were making our way through a bombed out city. It was getting dark and we came across a building that was mostly intact, All the other buildings were missing large chunks and were falling apart. we decided to enter the building (which appeared to be a large apartment high rise) and seek shelter for the night. We had to break boards off the front door to get in. Did this mean the building was sealed from before the outbreak...and therefore safe?

(shrug)

We settled in an apartment on a lower floor as it got dark, You don't wanna be outside at night, At night...they can RUN, FAST. A horde is scary enough during the day, 20 zombies or so shambling along...maybe trying to catch up to you. But...at night a horde is terrifying. A screeching, sprinting mob racing through the dark. The dead don't get tired...but you do.

Finding lots of supplies in the cupboards and what not. We didn't realize that all the noise we were making...as night fell...was disturbing the tenants of the building. Of course the entire building was inhabited by zombies...all locked in their apts ever since it all started. They must have been dormant until we disturbed them. The screams and bangs and crashes from all around us got louder as the darkness became absolute. You could hear walls, and doors and even the ceiling starting to give way. We had a long wait for dawn. We couldn't stand the pitch darkness anymore, it made the cacophony that much worse. In the server I set up...The darkness of night lasts a full half hour or so and that's how long we sat there in the near pitch blackness listening to the zombies tear the building apart around us. We couldn't make a run for it because all the noise that our neighbors were making was attracting other nearby hordes on the outside of the building.

As dawn broke...so was the rear wall of our unit....they were getting in...

fun game!

(I didn't even mention the zombie dobermans.)

I never mentioned in the review how we got away. Mostly because it was a little anti-climactic. We just left the apartment and ran out of the building the way we came in. The zoms were all concentrated on the back of the building. We didn't dare try such a daring escape while it was still dark.

Iv'e always said this was one of the scariest games Iv'e ever played. Iv'e never experienced the prolonged dread that I did that night in any other game...not even close. I almost felt like I was going a little insane in the dark listening to the destruction around me.

I had an experience like that, but I was alone and my private server I made night and day 2 hours each...so I went through more hell than you especially since there was a hole in the wall next to me where spiders came in every now and again, but still yeah this game ♥♥♥♥ing terrifies me

I had an experience like that, but I was alone and my private server I made night and day 2 hours each...so I went through more hell than you especially since there was a hole in the wall next to me where spiders came in every now and again, but still yeah this game ♥♥♥♥ing terrifies me

2 hours?!?

That actually sounds pretty frikkin cool. Ever since I discovered the safety of underground bases my scary situations have decreased significantly. Which I can't stand. I can't wait for breadcrumbs. I don't want that level of safety but i just can't bring myself walk away from it.

Take it from me, Pimps!

2 hours?!?

That actually sounds pretty frikkin cool. Ever since I discovered the safety of underground bases my scary situations have decreased significantly. Which I can't stand. I can't wait for breadcrumbs. I don't want that level of safety but i just can't bring myself walk away from it.

Take it from me, Pimps!

Yeah, what is fun is playing with those settings and doing a nomad playthrough :p makes it really challenging, and what exactly is breadcrumbs? i've heard about it but never bothered to research

Yeah, what is fun is playing with those settings and doing a nomad playthrough :p makes it really challenging, and what exactly is breadcrumbs? i've heard about it but never bothered to research

"breadcrumbs"... comes from the Hansel & Gretal story about leaving a 'trail of breadcrumbs' so you don't get lost in the woods.

In 7-days:

Breadcrumbs is an invisible "trail" that your character leaves. The zombies will be able to 'sense' this "breadcrumb trail".

So if you live in a deep cave, or up in a high building... now you will leave a "heat marker" that the zombies will follow . The more you use the path.. or the more recently you have used it... the stronger the "heat signature".

So whereas, before, you could feel safe in obscure hidey-holes... now you can expect house calls from zombies :)

Archived