A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Modders have been wanting a higher block ID limit for a long time. Its only getting worse.

I'm not sure its actually possible to make one lockpick have more than a single use. Block (safes) achieve this by using an upgrade block path. You're actually upgrading the safe with the lockpick and it takes one lockpick to upgrade, hence why it has only one use. Due to the way it functions I dont see how it would be possible to get more than one use out it, short of it being an infinite item that never "Expires" - like the remote.

Hi guys:

I am adding Valmod to my server tomorrow. It looks awesome! I have run True Survival before but not Valmod, so this will be interesting.

Are there any plans to add custom prefabs? My current server has the Compo pack installed and it is amazing but it has a couple issues:

- performance in cities is really bad. I've tried to figure out which prefabs in the Compo pack are responsible but haven't found them all.

- over-powered loot. Some of the prefabs are just over-the-top with loot. These really mess up the game's balance.

- over-powered base. Some of the prefabs give a player a basically impenetrable fortress.

I'd love a nice small-ish set of prefabs added that have been vetted for the above issues. Any thoughts of doing something like this?

Looking forward to installing and running with Valmod!

Hello Blotavious. I hope you find my mod to your liking.

In regards to prefabs I do not have any plans on incorporating any in my mod.

For starts the prefab tool (Hals) is not something I can seem to actually get working. But most importantly, in my limited experience, its my conclusion that the random gen spawning of this game is still... wonky. Even vanilla can have problems. It is my personal opinion that maintaining a prefab mod is a very time-consuming and complicated task. Also it opens you up to bugs that are vanilla-related but (like the busted spawning system) that your player base might expect you to be able to fix but you simply cant.

Given the scope of my mod pack I do not believe I have it in me to dedicate the amount of time and attention I would need to ensure the prefabs work correctly. That is why I prefer to leave my rwgmixer vanilla so that standalone prefab mods can be added - mods where the authors can dedicate themselves to that one area.

In short I feel, personally, and again this isn't really my area so I could be overstating it or have misguided views, the amount of effort one would have to put into that is akin to the amount of effort I put into my mod as it is. I do not view it as a "casual" thing to just do on a whim and I believe it requires a level of focus and dedication that I frankly don't believe I can balance off with everything else. I have much respect for mod authors who DO manage this but I'm not confident enough in myself or my understanding of prefabbing in general to think it is something I could personally achieve.

That being said if I had the knowledge to do so (again I can't even get the tool to work for me!) I would be lying to say there aren't a few prefab ideas I wouldn't like to try out.

One thing I've always wanted to try was to add specific loot containers to specific prefabs. Currently, for the most part, containers are "generic". A bookcase in this house is the same as a bookcase in another house. A gunsafe in this building is the same as a gunsafe in that building. I think it would interesting in the loot you find in specific buildings was a tad more dynamic and matched the environment for which it is in.

It would also be neat to see some prefabs use some of my custom blocks. Imagine if some prefabs had hidden doors, just for example.

Hello Valmar,

I have one suggestion to mod. Maybye its its a good idea to scrap recipes books to survival notes if dont need them? Second idea is make craftable sellection choosing items from notes in example from 300 notes make class selection and from 50 notes a key.

I will be adding scrapping of books to survivor notes in the next update.

Crafting a class however is pointless and a waste of notes. No classes has "exclusive" recipes. You can learn the same things other classes know. Infact if you were to purchase all the skills that a class starts with it would actually cost less than 300 notes. In some cases a whole lot less too.

Hi I've been looking for a guide of these new additions like the cold drinks, I assumed I needed a working fridge so I built one (is making noise so yay! it's working) but of course that doesn't make sense in terms of recipes so how do I turn drinks into COLD drinks?

Also it seems the sink I've built can be upgraded ad aeternum (forever and ever) as long as you keep applying plumbing kits, does this improve it at all?

How do I fertilize my farms now? I remember being able to "turd em" maybe it's because I updated from an old version, do I need a fresh install?

Aaaand I ran into a bug with my bike, ran accidentally over some wooden spikes and I had to dismount because I kept receiving enormous amounts of damage, had to go back take a few medkits, heal and mount again to my surprise to keep receiving ridiculous amounts of damage so I gave up, the bike was not accesible only mount/dismount nor repair or inventory were available (yep it had a basket) and once I surrender and died from "bike bleeding" I could hop on again with my new character and everything was alright.

Let me know if that one is mod related or vanilla to report, please and thanks!

Hi guys:

I am adding Valmod to my server tomorrow. It looks awesome! I have run True Survival before but not Valmod, so this will be interesting.

Are there any plans to add custom prefabs? My current server has the Compo pack installed and it is amazing but it has a couple issues:

- performance in cities is really bad. I've tried to figure out which prefabs in the Compo pack are responsible but haven't found them all.

- over-powered loot. Some of the prefabs are just over-the-top with loot. These really mess up the game's balance.

- over-powered base. Some of the prefabs give a player a basically impenetrable fortress.

I'd love a nice small-ish set of prefabs added that have been vetted for the above issues. Any thoughts of doing something like this?

Looking forward to installing and running with Valmod!

Try Herrpohl's superb Extended Navezgane (UABE). I just go it yesterday and am quite pleased with it. It takes out the radiation zone at the bottom of the map, for an truly large forest area with a few new prefabs and vanilla buildings and joins up those broken roads. I liked and settled for the potato farm in the middle. You might find it interesting.

Got another question lol (well of course I have questions!) Noticing a lot of the dyed clothing the mod adds aren't scrapable even though the vanilla versions of the items seem to be. What's up with that?

Can you be more specific?

Hi I've been looking for a guide of these new additions like the cold drinks, I assumed I needed a working fridge so I built one (is making noise so yay! it's working) but of course that doesn't make sense in terms of recipes so how do I turn drinks into COLD drinks?

Also it seems the sink I've built can be upgraded ad aeternum (forever and ever) as long as you keep applying plumbing kits, does this improve it at all?

How do I fertilize my farms now? I remember being able to "turd em" maybe it's because I updated from an old version, do I need a fresh install?

Aaaand I ran into a bug with my bike, ran accidentally over some wooden spikes and I had to dismount because I kept receiving enormous amounts of damage, had to go back take a few medkits, heal and mount again to my surprise to keep receiving ridiculous amounts of damage so I gave up, the bike was not accesible only mount/dismount nor repair or inventory were available (yep it had a basket) and once I surrender and died from "bike bleeding" I could hop on again with my new character and everything was alright.

Let me know if that one is mod related or vanilla to report, please and thanks!

Hold the drink and then left click a fridge with it. It will exchange it for a cold version. Works on all fridges or drink coolers.

The sink thing is just the extends property carrying over the upgrade path. There is no benefit to it. I will make a note to fix that though so people dont waste kits.

Fertilizing farms to get more crop was an A13 feature that had to axed due to imposing block ID limits in A14. However you can still use turds to turn earth into "fertile earth". To do so you have to "upgrade" the ground with a shovel while you have turds in the inventory. Basically it lets you substitute a hoe with a shovel and crap.

Bike bugs are the fault of the game. I don't even touch the bike or its parts in any way. The minibike has been notoriously broken since its inception. The spikes however are likely dealing so much damage because they apply the bleeding buff when you touch them now. This wasn't always the case.

All of my colored armors extend from their vanilla versions. That is to say that if the dye version cannot be scrapped then neither can the vanilla.

This is largely because they removed weight property from the item the clothes respond to - which seems to be the boots for most of the sets..

If you guys are trying to find out how things work in the mod I've updated my site with the latest version of the overhaul mod. http://7days2mod.com/Valmod/

That mini bike bug is a known vanilla bug.

Val, is it intentional that quest_BasicSurvival1 goes to quest_BasicSurvival7 instead of quest_BasicSurvival2 on completion?

For the scrapping coloured clothing, it might be the the coloured versions don't have a recipe so the game cant auto calc the scrapping results.

I'm trying to add the other half of the wedges. for some reason there isn't a wood wedge tip or scrap wedge tip at all. and I'm not able to see the items craftable. I just feel that anything that has a wedge block should have a matching wedge tip block. otherwise...it's pretty useless. grr!

And to make matters worse, the rescipes I added, seemed to bork the system, a lot of things lost functionality. which I don't THINK is because I needed to update the pack, which I did, and it restored to valmod's defaults, and now everything seems to work...but tons of rescipes were broken, including the workbench, but the research table also lost it's rescipe list. very wierd. so I'll just use the adobe parts since they're available, and pretty cheep anyway. still though.....is that something that could be looked into?

If you guys are trying to find out how things work in the mod I've updated my site with the latest version of the overhaul mod. http://7days2mod.com/Valmod/

That mini bike bug is a known vanilla bug.

Val, is it intentional that quest_BasicSurvival1 goes to quest_BasicSurvival7 instead of quest_BasicSurvival2 on completion?

For the scrapping coloured clothing, it might be the the coloured versions don't have a recipe so the game cant auto calc the scrapping results.

Yes, it is intentional. If I remember correctly the quests I skip are basically the "craft fiber clothes, wear fiber clothes" quests. These are pointless in my mod because you don't start off naked and you'd have to take off the clothes you start with and wear weaker clothes just to get past the quest. I also skip the "make a bow" quest because in my mod not everyone can actually make a bow so I didn't want them to be unable to get past that step early on.

Unless it has changed the way scrap works is that it bases it off of the material it is made out of and the wait of that material in relation to the weight of the item scrapped. So, for example, if "cloth" had a weight of 1 and an item made out of cloth had a weight of 5 then scrapping that item should return 5 pieces of cloth. You should not need an individual recipe for the item for this to work as it all works off the "wildcard" recipe for cloth that scrapping uses.

Again, unless that changed. All my dyed versions use the extends property. Therefore if you cannot scrap it then you shouldn't be able to scrap the vanilla version either. Hence why I asked for specifics so I could look at what ones have this "problem" to more closely examine the cause.

I'm trying to add the other half of the wedges. for some reason there isn't a wood wedge tip or scrap wedge tip at all. and I'm not able to see the items craftable. I just feel that anything that has a wedge block should have a matching wedge tip block. otherwise...it's pretty useless. grr!

And to make matters worse, the rescipes I added, seemed to bork the system, a lot of things lost functionality. which I don't THINK is because I needed to update the pack, which I did, and it restored to valmod's defaults, and now everything seems to work...but tons of rescipes were broken, including the workbench, but the research table also lost it's rescipe list. very wierd. so I'll just use the adobe parts since they're available, and pretty cheep anyway. still though.....is that something that could be looked into?

Adding new block shapes such as wedge tips is quite easy. The problem is the limited nature of the block.xml currently. Every block in the game uses up a "block ID" number. There is a very limited amount of these you can actually have. However I will look into adding some if you can be specific. What is the very specific blockname of the wedge tip you want to have the shape of and what is the very specific block names of the blocks you want to have in that shape. If you cannot find their names then their block IDs would be even more useful. Hover your mouse over the block in creative mode and it should tell you what ID it is.

The more specific the easier it will be for me to find and make the variants you're after.

As for the recipes if one recipe breaks all the recipes beneath it in the file also break. Also when you start up the game if you open up the console with the ~ key and scroll up it will show you red error messages saying what recipe broke and why. This is very useful for diagnosing the cause of the problem, should you have a problem.

Adding new block shapes such as wedge tips is quite easy. The problem is the limited nature of the block.xml currently. Every block in the game uses up a "block ID" number. There is a very limited amount of these you can actually have. However I will look into adding some if you can be specific. What is the very specific blockname of the wedge tip you want to have the shape of and what is the very specific block names of the blocks you want to have in that shape. If you cannot find their names then their block IDs would be even more useful. Hover your mouse over the block in creative mode and it should tell you what ID it is.

The more specific the easier it will be for me to find and make the variants you're after.

the short, easy answer, is all "wedge" blocks have a "wedgetip" counterpart. there are about 8 wedges, but only like...3 wedge tips. most notably, woodframe, and scrapiron frame wedge tips are not present, however, I do know that both wedges ARE present. so those two specifically, there is in the creative mode a woodwedgetip, [note, not woodFRAME] as well as shingles, if you need a complete list of what creative mode has, what is NOT actually available for crafting, and what I feel ought to be available. [i did watch rongo's tut. reskinning a block] I could, though that would be a bit of examining. The short answer, is I know off hand the "woodframewedgetip" and "scrapironwedgetip" are not available, though their "wedge" counterparts are.

some easy digging in the configs, shows these items:

"Woodwedgetip" is ID 1139

"Woodshingleswedgetip" is ID 1351

"CabinWoodWedgeTip" is ID 285

these have id's but I don't think have rescipes

the woodframe and scrap iron, I don't believe even exhist, but bloody well should!

[of note, the "shape is "wedged60tip"]

a few tweaks I'd like to consider, the aloe plants I feel should offer more than 1 plant, OR not require 4 to make the cream AND 2 to make the medicated bandages. RL an aloe plant of roughly the size in the game, could easily yield close to half a gallon of pulp. er go, maybe nerfing the requirements for making aloe bandages...and possibly considering making said cream more useful, perhaps for overheating, as, aloe lotion is good for sunburns.

maybe not something that NEED tweaking but it feels like grapes are quite slow to mature.

oh, also, have you ever noticed how the grass fiber clothing has much better stats than comperable clothing items? [unless you looked recently, that is. it seems silly that grass fiber, [which, by the way makes for pretty ♥♥♥♥ty cordage, yukka fibers are much better. hmm....maybe a rescpe for yukka cordage, maybe it's needed for some of the bows,] should have better defenses then proffessionally crafted clothing.

KK nuff brainstorming and babbling. I super love your modpack, and I hope my feedback helps it improve. just don't burn yourself out, ok?

oohh, just had a though, to make vitamins craftable, since they're a pretty darn uncommon drop, and the vitamin water is pretty badass, maybe....you need to throw a whole bunch of stuff like herbal antibiotics, as well as a bone, blueberries, and stuff using a beaker to make vitamins. or a homebrew counterpart that can be substituted. put them in the fridge for a cold healthy drink of endgame awesome.

Unless it has changed the way scrap works is that it bases it off of the material it is made out of and the wait of that material in relation to the weight of the item scrapped. So, for example, if "cloth" had a weight of 1 and an item made out of cloth had a weight of 5 then scrapping that item should return 5 pieces of cloth. You should not need an individual recipe for the item for this to work as it all works off the "wildcard" recipe for cloth that scrapping uses.

Again, unless that changed. All my dyed versions use the extends property. Therefore if you cannot scrap it then you shouldn't be able to scrap the vanilla version either. Hence why I asked for specifics so I could look at what ones have this "problem" to more closely examine the cause.

Cool Gloves, Camo Hood and it appears all the dyed hoods can't be scrapped even though the items they extend from can be scrapped. I checked in game for all the extending items they extend from.

oohh, just had a though, to make vitamins craftable, since they're a pretty darn uncommon drop, and the vitamin water is pretty badass, maybe....you need to throw a whole bunch of stuff like herbal antibiotics, as well as a bone, blueberries, and stuff using a beaker to make vitamins. or a homebrew counterpart that can be substituted. put them in the fridge for a cold healthy drink of endgame awesome.

maybe another recipe for bones? grind them down for bone powder or you can use eggs since the shells contain Calcium. As you said other items can provide the various minerals and vits needed to create Vitamin tablets. I agree there should be a way to craft it just like the way we're able to craft Antibiotics.

I will be adding scrapping of books to survivor notes in the next update.

Crafting a class however is pointless and a waste of notes. No classes has "exclusive" recipes. You can learn the same things other classes know. Infact if you were to purchase all the skills that a class starts with it would actually cost less than 300 notes. In some cases a whole lot less too.

I remember that in previous version was specyfic class recipes, but now you have right. Then i wait for scraping

Yes, it is intentional. If I remember correctly the quests I skip are basically the "craft fiber clothes, wear fiber clothes" quests. These are pointless in my mod because you don't start off naked and you'd have to take off the clothes you start with and wear weaker clothes just to get past the quest. I also skip the "make a bow" quest because in my mod not everyone can actually make a bow so I didn't want them to be unable to get past that step early on.

Ok cool, just wasn't sure as the quest names still have the 1/8 7/8 8/8 etc... the vanilla quests are fairly lame so no loss having them removed anyway :)

I haven't done any testing but from little bits I've read my understanding is that each item needs a recipe for the auto calc, otherwise you have to give it a weight.

For example http://7days2mod.com/Valmod/14.6/_blockitem/name=hoodCamo

the item it extends has a recipe but nowhere in the extends chain is a weight used, so only the items with a recipe will be able to be scrapped.

The material is cloth and cloth material has the forge_category cloth, so all that is missing is a weight on the hoodCamo itself. cloth item has a weight of 5 so you need 5 weight for each cloth you want it to scrap to.

Silly question, but how do you make a hyperlink in an xml file? I run a dedicated server and In my serverconfig.xml file for the website address I want to put a link to the website for the client files for this mod. Doing just that is easy, but the link is so long that once you see it in the server browser its in a font size of like .5 and you can't even read it cause the link is so long. Basically I want it to say something like, "Client Files Click Here" and when you click on it, it takes you to the site.

Here is what I have now:

<property name="ServerWebsiteURL" 		value="http://www.mediafire.com/download/gkc3cte48z1wq4b/Valmod_Expansion_Client_Files.zip"/>

[snip]

a few tweaks I'd like to consider, the aloe plants I feel should offer more than 1 plant, OR not require 4 to make the cream AND 2 to make the medicated bandages. RL an aloe plant of roughly the size in the game, could easily yield close to half a gallon of pulp. er go, maybe nerfing the requirements for making aloe bandages...and possibly considering making said cream more useful, perhaps for overheating, as, aloe lotion is good for sunburns.

maybe not something that NEED tweaking but it feels like grapes are quite slow to mature.

oh, also, have you ever noticed how the grass fiber clothing has much better stats than comperable clothing items? [unless you looked recently, that is. it seems silly that grass fiber, [which, by the way makes for pretty ♥♥♥♥ty cordage, yukka fibers are much better. hmm....maybe a rescpe for yukka cordage, maybe it's needed for some of the bows,] should have better defenses then proffessionally crafted clothing.

I'll look into the wedge tips.

I'll look into letting you use the aloe cream heal you and a small buff to harvest.

I might look into the plant fiber clothes.

I appreciate the feedback, even if I am short on my response.

Cool Gloves, Camo Hood and it appears all the dyed hoods can't be scrapped even though the items they extend from can be scrapped. I checked in game for all the extending items they extend from.

maybe another recipe for bones? grind them down for bone powder or you can use eggs since the shells contain Calcium. As you said other items can provide the various minerals and vits needed to create Vitamin tablets. I agree there should be a way to craft it just like the way we're able to craft Antibiotics.

I have no idea anymore how scrapping works on some items. How are you able to scrap cloth boots? It doesn't have a weight anymore. Why is it you can't scrap a the camo hood when you can scrap what it extends from? I have no idea what voodoo is going on here.

Adding a weight to the items in question will still let you craft them, at least. I just wish I understood why you can scrap clothBoots that have no weight. Either way I'll see what I can do about it.

Ok cool, just wasn't sure as the quest names still have the 1/8 7/8 8/8 etc... the vanilla quests are fairly lame so no loss having them removed anyway :)

I haven't done any testing but from little bits I've read my understanding is that each item needs a recipe for the auto calc, otherwise you have to give it a weight.

For example http://7days2mod.com/Valmod/14.6/_blockitem/name=hoodCamo

the item it extends has a recipe but nowhere in the extends chain is a weight used, so only the items with a recipe will be able to be scrapped.

The material is cloth and cloth material has the forge_category cloth, so all that is missing is a weight on the hoodCamo itself. cloth item has a weight of 5 so you need 5 weight for each cloth you want it to scrap to.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I need to learn to read everything I'm quoting before I begin writing my replies.

The numbering scheme on the quest is just me being lazy. Pretend you saw nothing!

- - - Updated - - -

Silly question, but how do you make a hyperlink in an xml file? I run a dedicated server and In my serverconfig.xml file for the website address I want to put a link to the website for the client files for this mod. Doing just that is easy, but the link is so long that once you see it in the server browser its in a font size of like .5 and you can't even read it cause the link is so long. Basically I want it to say something like, "Client Files Click Here" and when you click on it, it takes you to the site.

Here is what I have now:

<property name="ServerWebsiteURL" 		value="http://www.mediafire.com/download/gkc3cte48z1wq4b/Valmod_Expansion_Client_Files.zip"/>

I dont know if you can make it a hyperlink. Though you could use a tiny.cc link to make it easier on the eyes. For example this is what I use ot share the client files:

tiny.cc/valmodicons

I know it's a bit tiny for a request but a scarf or a bandana-slot-item that actually increases temp instead of lowering it so I can hide myself in the snow biome and become a fully fledged post-apoc hermit :D

Is it possible with the actual coding to make zombie lures? with actual meat so they're attracted to whatever point you set instead of having to stay on your toes every night? I'm now in the wasteland biome but it's rare the night I don't have a tiny-small or medium sized horde spawn and aim my direction ¬¬ they're like actual bloodhounds lol

Archived