A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

While it is always best policy to start with vanilla (if you verify the file integrity with steam it should refresh you with vanilla xmls quickly since they're such small files) you should be able to just drag and drop my updated files. Its what I do most of the time. Nothing much to really worry about in that regard.

So I will be taking a short break from modding for a bit (or so I will try, I need a few days rest to recharge). When I get back I will add some more stuff to the Valmod since I have been diverting a lot of my focus lately towards my Medieval Times (builders needed :wink-new:) project.

Here is a question I put forth, then... what would you like to see added first? New blocks for building and decoration purposes? Or new farming/cooking recipes?

@Kittamaru

You cannot craft a sewing kit. You can only find them in loot. They drop in nightstands and dressers.

@Chud

Yes, intentional. The idea is that you placed it in the fireplace, perhaps covered it wit ha few twigs and coal so it gets a good cook so it hardens

You could always ad a Kiln to the list of Items yo can make.....maybe it can Fire Clay items faster..use a Oven Skin

but i get your Idea for the clay pot...but the Oven makes more since to me its like Kiln

The problem with the repair tools and weapons.

Is will be descriptions of the mods ?, because I can not unlock the repaired crossbow. With other weapons, and have the same tools. I do not know what scheme unlocks their repair.

Finding notes is also a problem, because very few of them terribly and not unlocked even 10% of what it is.

So I will be taking a short break from modding for a bit (or so I will try, I need a few days rest to recharge). When I get back I will add some more stuff to the Valmod since I have been diverting a lot of my focus lately towards my Medieval Times (builders needed :wink-new:) project.

Here is a question I put forth, then... what would you like to see added first? New blocks for building and decoration purposes? Or new farming/cooking recipes?

One major suggestion I have. With the way skillbooks work, why not add an xp gain to every skillbook? So you read a pistol skillbook and you can pistol xp, read ammunation and get guncrafting xp, etc. I'd say even add in a few books whose only effect is to give a nice chunk of xp towards skills.

I would say perhaps a new gun or two. A 50 cal with the ability to use a lot of gunpowder to make exploding rounds would be awesome.

Is will be descriptions of the mods ?, because I can not unlock the repaired crossbow. With other weapons, and have the same tools. I do not know what scheme unlocks their repair.

Finding notes is also a problem, because very few of them terribly and not unlocked even 10% of what it is.

Hopefully I understand your question correctly.

Descriptions are not something I can add to the game, currently, with xml files. That is why I don't have them.

To repair an item you must know the recipe for it. If you want to repair a crossbow you must know the recipe for the crossbow. What-teaches-what should be largely self-obvious by the book titles for the most part. Failing that, you can look at the guide that is included with every copy of the mod. It details every new recipe book and what they teach.

Are you looking in the right places? Notes can drop on corpses, stumps and zombies currently. The note cost for crafting recipes has also been significantly reduced recently. It shouldn't be that difficult to get enough notes to craft something, assuming you're looting the zombies you're killing.

It is also important, perhaps, to remember a key part about my Survivor Notes: they are not meant to replace looting and finding books "naturally". I don't intend anyone to get all the books through the survivor note system. The idea behind it is if you've been hunting for a certain book for days, killed a bunch of zombies in your search, but STILL cant find it... well then now you can just craft it. All the work killing zombies without a reward paid off.

One major suggestion I have. With the way skillbooks work, why not add an xp gain to every skillbook? So you read a pistol skillbook and you can pistol xp, read ammunation and get guncrafting xp, etc. I'd say even add in a few books whose only effect is to give a nice chunk of xp towards skills.

I would say perhaps a new gun or two. A 50 cal with the ability to use a lot of gunpowder to make exploding rounds would be awesome.

Skill books already do this in a sense. Difference is I believe it gives you the exp towards the "Actionskilllgroup" and not the "Craftingskillgroup". So reading a pistol book will give exp towards Pistols - not gun smithing.

To achieve what you're after I believe I'd need to add new items to the game for you to craft specifically for this. Someone here recently did a "thesis" mod where you could turn your recipe books into "thesis" notes that gave you exp in these areas. Perhaps I will incorporate something like that.

Hopefully I understand your question correctly.

Descriptions are not something I can add to the game, currently, with xml files. That is why I don't have them.

To repair an item you must know the recipe for it. If you want to repair a crossbow you must know the recipe for the crossbow. What-teaches-what should be largely self-obvious by the book titles for the most part. Failing that, you can look at the guide that is included with every copy of the mod. It details every new recipe book and what they teach.

Are you looking in the right places? Notes can drop on corpses, stumps and zombies currently. The note cost for crafting recipes has also been significantly reduced recently. It shouldn't be that difficult to get enough notes to craft something, assuming you're looting the zombies you're killing.

It is also important, perhaps, to remember a key part about my Survivor Notes: they are not meant to replace looting and finding books "naturally". I don't intend anyone to get all the books through the survivor note system. The idea behind it is if you've been hunting for a certain book for days, killed a bunch of zombies in your search, but STILL cant find it... well then now you can just craft it. All the work killing zombies without a reward paid off.

Skill books already do this in a sense. Difference is I believe it gives you the exp towards the "Actionskilllgroup" and not the "Craftingskillgroup". So reading a pistol book will give exp towards Pistols - not gun smithing.

To achieve what you're after I believe I'd need to add new items to the game for you to craft specifically for this. Someone here recently did a "thesis" mod where you could turn your recipe books into "thesis" notes that gave you exp in these areas. Perhaps I will incorporate something like that.

Yeah i've been testing and I like that. I'd say raise the xp on the books and it will be an incentive to keep hunting for those books. Right now its 5-25xp for most of those books meaning you'd need to read 10-50 of the same book to gain a single level.

As for the survivor notes i almost wish the mod recipes they can be used to buy were really rare loot, but at the same time I almost wish they werent. Its a tough call lol

Actually I think you might have a slight misunderstanding of the books - or maybe I do.

<item id="602" name="pistolBook">

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Misc/Book" />

<property name="Material" value="paper" />

<property name="HoldType" value="21" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="50" />

<property class="Action1">

<!-- UseAction -->

<property name="Class" value="LearnRecipe" />

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="pistol,Weapon_Mod:_Pistol" />

<property name="ActionExp" value="10"/>

<property name="ActionExpBonusMultiplier" value="5"/>

<property name="Delay" value="0" />

<property name="Sound_start" value="Misc/recipe_unlocked" />

</property>

<property name="FuelValue" value="20" />

<property name="Weight" value="20" />

<property name="Group" value="Special Items" />

<property class="Preview">

<property name="Zoom" value="10" />

<property name="Pos" value="0,-0.2" />

<property name="Rot" value="90,45,0" />

</property>

</item>

The "5" value does not mean 5exp. It means 50. It's a multiplier. So the first time you read it you gain 50 exp but when you read it again you gain 10. That is how I understand it, anyway. I could be way off, though. Honestly their system confuses me a little.

It also gets counted for each item it teaches. Which is why you might see some odd numbers from time-to-time For example, my huntingrifleschematic:

<item id="724" name="huntingRifleSchematic">

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Misc/Book" />

<property name="Material" value="paper" />

<property name="HoldType" value="21" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="50" />

<property class="Action1">

<!-- UseAction -->

<property name="Class" value="LearnRecipe" />

<property name="Recipes_to_learn" value="huntingRifle,Bolt_Rifle,Weapon_Mod:_HuntingRifle" />

<property name="ActionExp" value="5"/>

<property name="ActionExpBonusMultiplier" value="2"/>

<property name="Delay" value="0" />

<property name="Sound_start" value="Misc/recipe_unlocked" />

</property>

<property name="FuelValue" value="20" />

<property name="Weight" value="20" />

<property name="Group" value="Special Items" />

<property class="Preview">

<property name="Zoom" value="10" />

<property name="Pos" value="0,-0.2" />

<property name="Rot" value="90,45,0" />

</property>

</item>

You would think that it gives you only 5 - 10 exp. But as it teaches two guns, both with the same skill group, its actually giving you 10-20. Which probably still needs balancing, don't get me wrong. Just showing it as an example.

This stuff I'd rather wait for A14 to really "iron out" since they will be adding new perks and such then so things might work differently than they do now.

As for the Mod recipes, well, chances are many of them will be gone in A14. When we can lock recipes behind skill levels that is the approach I will take. Rather than needing to read the Pistol Mod to learn silenced pistols you can just level up your pistol skill. Progression will feel more natural that way, I think.

@Kittamaru

You cannot craft a sewing kit. You can only find them in loot. They drop in nightstands and dressers.

Ouch, alrighty - kinda hurts being stuck unable to create cloth, leather, or hide clothes (I guess I've been unlucky since I haven't found a kit in several hours of play heh)

Generally I'd agree. Yet the minibikes are so broken that those who work hard to get them tend to end up getting burned since they lose them to crazy game glitches. Something that hurts all the more if you spent weeks scavenging the parts only to have it fall through the map.

I have installed this mod on a private server a group of my friends and myself use and upkeep. However, your mod seems to take longer than the vanilla game when loading crafting screens, the forge, and other UIs like that where it has to load many of the modded icons at once. Is there a good fix for this? Besides this issue, I like the content that this mod adds, and I look forward to future updates.

EDIT: I also have noticed that the localizations are still using the internal item names. Would that be an easy fix, and if so which areas in the files need to be changed? I would happily make the necessary changes to clean up the item names.

-MastaC

@MastaC

Assuming you're using the most current and updated version of the mod there is nothing I can do at this point to improve performance. Also, for what its worth, I don't think it has anything to do with the icons. It's the engine keeping up with the number of recipe books. I believe its a cache issue with the game but thats just speculation. Regardless, nothingI can do.

As for the item names I'm not sure to what you're referring. Whatever name you give the item or block in the items.xml or blocks.xml is what you will see in-game. Unless you modify some non-XML stuff which breaks EAC and doesn't push on servers. But I don't get into all that. I only mod xml files. Can to be more specific as to what names you feel need to be "cleaned up"?

Steel axe is locked behind book which cant be read in the study desk.. Since the mod recipes require knowledge of basic recipe, does this mean that recipes are locked by class? which u only get if u pick a certain class ? That person would have the knowledge and only he could buy the recipe in the study desk. we have one person on my server who can make steel axe, but im at higher crafting skill, would be awesome if i could make them also..

I have installed this mod on a private server a group of my friends and myself use and upkeep. However, your mod seems to take longer than the vanilla game when loading crafting screens, the forge, and other UIs like that where it has to load many of the modded icons at once. Is there a good fix for this? Besides this issue, I like the content that this mod adds, and I look forward to future updates.

EDIT: I also have noticed that the localizations are still using the internal item names. Would that be an easy fix, and if so which areas in the files need to be changed? I would happily make the necessary changes to clean up the item names.

-MastaC

Hit your favorites (the star) in each workstation and 'tab' crafting menu, this will eliminate the recipe lag. Just search the item you want, start the queue, then delete the search bar and the game will function again.

Val, Loving the apple tree. Thanks. Much better than my original design xD

Though I did decrease the MaxDamage to 40 because beating on an apple tree with your fists 50+ times is just...

@MastaC

Assuming you're using the most current and updated version of the mod there is nothing I can do at this point to improve performance. Also, for what its worth, I don't think it has anything to do with the icons. It's the engine keeping up with the number of recipe books. I believe its a cache issue with the game but thats just speculation. Regardless, nothingI can do.

As for the item names I'm not sure to what you're referring. Whatever name you give the item or block in the items.xml or blocks.xml is what you will see in-game. Unless you modify some non-XML stuff which breaks EAC and doesn't push on servers. But I don't get into all that. I only mod xml files. Can to be more specific as to what names you feel need to be "cleaned up"?

Ok, thanks for the info on why the crafting UIs are slow at times. As for the names, I'm just referring to how the names of most of the items have underscores between the words. It's really just an OCD thing haha.

On another note, the Superior Forge has no fire animation like the vanilla forge.

Hi, mod is awesome. Classes and progresion gives big fun gathering notes. 2 things: i grew apple tree on roof on single dirt and when it grown to first tree like stage i choped it and console shown error and nothing droppped (maybe it is fault of 1 dirt); second thing are tranquelizers - i get a ton of then on sp world (dont even know if they are usefull on sp) from air drops and pretty much no other things than medicines (no gun parts)(maybe my luck) but it would be cool if it could be scrapped. Once again big thnx for mod :)

Steel axe is locked behind book which cant be read in the study desk.. Since the mod recipes require knowledge of basic recipe, does this mean that recipes are locked by class? which u only get if u pick a certain class ? That person would have the knowledge and only he could buy the recipe in the study desk. we have one person on my server who can make steel axe, but im at higher crafting skill, would be awesome if i could make them also..

Negative, you may have a small misunderstanding. Classes START with knowledge. They are not the only ones who can learn it. You can still learn everything in the game, recipes are not locked behind classes. To learn the steel axe you will have to first know how to make a normal axe and then you can craft Tool_Mod:_Axe - which you learn either from the Builder Class or from a Fireaxe Schematic.

Val, Loving the apple tree. Thanks. Much better than my original design xD

Though I did decrease the MaxDamage to 40 because beating on an apple tree with your fists 50+ times is just...

Good idea. At the time I was avoiding doing that since I didn't feel like making a new material just then - I completely forgot that maxdamage was a property you can set in the blocks.xml. I will address this in the next update, thanks.

Ok, thanks for the info on why the crafting UIs are slow at times. As for the names, I'm just referring to how the names of most of the items have underscores between the words. It's really just an OCD thing haha.

On another note, the Superior Forge has no fire animation like the vanilla forge.

Names - This is a requirement on some items/blocks, but not all. You see, for an item to be locked behind a recipe book it cannot contain any spaces. However there are a lot of items that don't have recipes but still follow this _ format. I do this because on servers you cannot use certain features that involve gifting, buying or selling items that have spaces. So I incorporated the underscores to ensure the mod was compatible.

There is a way around this, should you really desire it. I don't know the code but there is some invisible text you can enter to make it appear as spaces in-game. You'd need to ask Gazz about that, though.

As for the superior forge, yes, I'm aware of it. It's "intentional". The superior forge has a "big block radius" to prevent you from stacking them side by side. This feature however does not play so well with the particle effect - it will summon the gates of hell. So, to avoid this, I removed the particle effect.

Hi, mod is awesome. Classes and progresion gives big fun gathering notes. 2 things: i grew apple tree on roof on single dirt and when it grown to first tree like stage i choped it and console shown error and nothing droppped (maybe it is fault of 1 dirt); second thing are tranquelizers - i get a ton of then on sp world (dont even know if they are usefull on sp) from air drops and pretty much no other things than medicines (no gun parts)(maybe my luck) but it would be cool if it could be scrapped. Once again big thnx for mod :)

Ensure you're using the latest version. When I first added the tree I, like an idiot, completely forgot to add the Apple to the items.

Tranqs can be useful in singleplay if you load them with chemical darts - basically like splashing zombies with chemical acid. I will look into making them scrappable however.

Air drops, in general, I hope to buff a little. We will see.

I have crafted he Superior forge but i cant place it anywhere... that is the porblem ? and what does it do

The advanced forge is set up as a DIMM block, find an open spot in your base or make one and try place it, can't recall the dimensions it wants but the forge appears as a single block.

Have not got the forge in the latest version as yet so Val may have changed this.

Edit: yeah just checked xml MultiBlockDim 3,3,3

Archived