A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Bug with crossbow, low impact

Hi Valmar,

Thanks for the great mod. I'm beginning to play with it now, though I've been using parts of it on my servers for a while, just leveraging some of your ideas :)

I noticed a bug with crossbows, which is low impact, but a bug is a bug. When shooting, there is an error 'Cannot create particle effect with name 'p_impact_feather_on_wood'. You have to add it to Resources/ParticleEffects' (the same goes for stone, organic, earth)

Maybe this can be addressed in a future release, or if it's something on my side, you can advise on what I've done wrong?

Thanks again,

Letoric

I'm aware of the impact bug. I know what causes it and it could be "fixed". I just don't want to fix it because I'd have to give up the scrapping of arrows. To me the error is not a big deal. It only shows up in the console if you look for it. The average player will never even know about it. As it doesn't interfere with normal gameplay I dont see it as a priority.

I'm aware of the impact bug. I know what causes it and it could be "fixed". I just don't want to fix it because I'd have to give up the scrapping of arrows. To me the error is not a big deal. It only shows up in the console if you look for it. The average player will never even know about it. As it doesn't interfere with normal gameplay I dont see it as a priority.

Thanks for the quick response.

For my own edification, are you essentially saying that because you change the material for the arrows/bolts to feather, to allow scrapping back to feathers, it changes the particle effect that the bolt/arrow should use, and that's what this comes from? If that's the case, is it possible to specify the particle effect, similar to how zombie puke is handled, to work around that?

If the first suggested workaround isn't viable, would it be possible to, instead of having a scrap recipe, have a recipe that consumes the old item and creates a feather? I'm not asking you to do it, given your answer, but if you can help me, I'd love to be able to eliminate it on my server.

Correct. You could revert the arrows/bolts materials back to their default (wood) to remove the error. This would also remove the scrapping ability, however. I'm not sure if you can specify the particle since it seems to derive from the material and not any other property in this case.

You could avoid scrap and use recipes instead, yes, but it would add clutter since you'd need a recipe for every bolt/arrow type you want to be able to "convert". So thats like, what, 8 different recipes to make feather?

For example:

<recipe name="feather" count="1" scrapable="False">

<ingredient name="arrow" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Correct. You could revert the arrows/bolts materials back to their default (wood) to remove the error. This would also remove the scrapping ability, however. I'm not sure if you can specify the particle since it seems to derive from the material and not any other property in this case.

You could avoid scrap and use recipes instead, yes, but it would add clutter since you'd need a recipe for every bolt/arrow type you want to be able to "convert". So thats like, what, 8 different recipes to make feather?

For example:

<recipe name="feather" count="1" scrapable="False">

<ingredient name="arrow" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Thanks again, that's where I was leaning, though like you said, it's extra clutter, I hate errors that I can eliminate :)

Is there some other use for feathers that makes scrapping the arrows more useful than I'm thinking, or was that really just for on the go breaking down stuff? What drove you to use the workbench to convert arrows to bolts, vs being able to do it in inventory, given that you can make them in inventory? (It seems like that is the main thing that pushes the need for scrap to feathers in the field)

I don't want to undo balance changes that you, having spent more time in your mod, figured were important.

basically the same as installing it for a client.

If using a dedi then just put the files in the "7 Days to Die Dedicated Server" folder instead of the "7 Days To Die" folder. If hosting a game from the normal game folder then just have it installed there.

Check the dedi output log for errors if that is what you are using as it will tell you if something is not right with the configs.

If you dont have the "7 Days to Die Dedicated Server" then use steam and under the library option go the the tools section and install it.

you'll want to get Allocs fixes and Coppis mod and a server manager if you are planning on it being public access.

I do have the Dedicated Server already installed. And I did place the Valmod Expansion files in the server folder as you've described and I also have them installed in the same location on my gaming computer. I can see the server listed and connect to the server, but it stalls right at the very end of the load and never leaves the loading screen. I've pasted a snippet from the output file showing the errors that it throws up.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ItemClass.GetFuelValue (.ItemValue _itemValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.CGV () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.get_BurnTotalTimeLeft () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.UpdateTick (.World world) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Chunk.UpdateTick (.World _world, Boolean _bSpawnEnemies) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at World.OnUpdateTick (Single _partialTicks, ArraySegment`1 _activeChunks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

It then repeats the above paragraph over and over non-stop until I Alt-F4 the program to close it.

Ideas please?

I do have the Dedicated Server already installed. And I did place the Valmod Expansion files in the server folder as you've described and I also have them installed in the same location on my gaming computer. I can see the server listed and connect to the server, but it stalls right at the very end of the load and never leaves the loading screen. I've pasted a snippet from the output file showing the errors that it throws up.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ItemClass.GetFuelValue (.ItemValue _itemValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.CGV () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.get_BurnTotalTimeLeft () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TileEntityWorkstation.UpdateTick (.World world) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Chunk.UpdateTick (.World _world, Boolean _bSpawnEnemies) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at World.OnUpdateTick (Single _partialTicks, ArraySegment`1 _activeChunks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

It then repeats the above paragraph over and over non-stop until I Alt-F4 the program to close it.

Ideas please?

Did you edit *any* of the files to try to add your own adjustments to them? I've seen that error in the past, and it was related to issues with adjustments I had made in the XML.

In addition to the first question, did you apply this to a new world, or a preexisting one?

new weapon concept for valmod pack

so i was brainstorming with friends while playing this mod pack for things that could make the game more interesting. one of the concepts we came up with, we decided was a pretty good idea and worthy to post.

the idea was a turret.

components required:

2x AK (or similar rifles)

2x small motor

5x cable

1x some type of computer component found in noninteractive computer terminals

2x ammo boxes

?x forged iron

idea behind it is to make it not easy to build so more like end game content with harder to find components. quality would be determined by the quality of the rifles, which is obviously determined by quality of rifle parts.

possible additions could be a remote used to turn it on and off as well as a recipe requirement to unlock it.

Did you edit *any* of the files to try to add your own adjustments to them? I've seen that error in the past, and it was related to issues with adjustments I had made in the XML.

In addition to the first question, did you apply this to a new world, or a preexisting one?

I did not edit any files myself at any time. I have never had any other mods installed either. I initially applied it to an existing world but was getting the above error. I then went ahead and uninstalled the game on both the server and my machine and reinstalled it all from scratch and then applied the mod. But I continue to get the same error no matter what I do.

I am using the file "Valmod-Expansion-master.zip" on all of the machines.

EDIT: Uninstalling and reinstalling everything again, and this time it worked. I must have done this 4 times, each with the same result and suddenly it worked on the 5th.

Thank you for your assitance, it's much appreciated!

I did not edit any files myself at any time. I have never had any other mods installed either. I initially applied it to an existing world but was getting the above error. I then went ahead and uninstalled the game on both the server and my machine and reinstalled it all from scratch and then applied the mod. But I continue to get the same error no matter what I do.

I am using the file "Valmod-Expansion-master.zip" on all of the machines.

when you reinstalled did you also change the seed (aka, game name) otherwise it will still be trying to load an existing world and there were some changes in workstations at one point which would cause that error.

Also is that log from your client or from the server?

If you could restart the server and post a pastebin of the full log up to the first couple of errors would be the best bet to locate potential issues (if you use the .bat file to start the dedi it will make a new log with the date timestamp)

Thanks again, that's where I was leaning, though like you said, it's extra clutter, I hate errors that I can eliminate :)

Is there some other use for feathers that makes scrapping the arrows more useful than I'm thinking, or was that really just for on the go breaking down stuff? What drove you to use the workbench to convert arrows to bolts, vs being able to do it in inventory, given that you can make them in inventory? (It seems like that is the main thing that pushes the need for scrap to feathers in the field)

I don't want to undo balance changes that you, having spent more time in your mod, figured were important.

I add them to the workbench as opposed to the player crafting menu due to clutter. Nothing more, nothing less.

so i was brainstorming with friends while playing this mod pack for things that could make the game more interesting. one of the concepts we came up with, we decided was a pretty good idea and worthy to post.

the idea was a turret.

components required:

2x AK (or similar rifles)

2x small motor

5x cable

1x some type of computer component found in noninteractive computer terminals

2x ammo boxes

?x forged iron

idea behind it is to make it not easy to build so more like end game content with harder to find components. quality would be determined by the quality of the rifles, which is obviously determined by quality of rifle parts.

possible additions could be a remote used to turn it on and off as well as a recipe requirement to unlock it.

Turrets are not possible with XML alone. You'd need to use SDX for that. There used to be a turret mod a while back but I dont know if its still compatible with A14.7. I don't really follow SDX. Either way. Its a "pretty good" idea, to be sure, but way outside the bounds of what is practically possible in this type of mod. In the same vein I can say having ATVs, pickup trucks and planes are all good ideas... but not even remotely possible in an XML-driven mod.

Thats some pretty hardcore stuff you're after. LOL.

EDIT: Uninstalling and reinstalling everything again, and this time it worked. I must have done this 4 times, each with the same result and suddenly it worked on the 5th.

If you were using Filezilla its worth mentioning that I've had many cases where it would not properly overwrite the files. I had to manually delete the config folder to ensure nothing had to be overwritten. This doesn't happen all the time but it can pop up once in a while and be annoying. Could that relate?

That turret better deliver headshots like Legolas does or else we're risking a major horde every time a damn screamer/spider zombie spawns, the turret misses, and the screamer/scout alerts the ever living sh*t outta every dead thing in a 5 miles radius.

I'd rather have some kind of "lure", to force zombies to divert their course, as they are now they are spawned at X and made to set course to you or the "heat" point which usually is the same. I mean some kind of pole with fresh meat, some kind of noisemaker/eggtimer (like in project zomboid)... at this pace zombies always end up stumbling upon my wall and when they find an obstacle they don't roam in another direction they prefer to punch the hell out of it making more noise for the rest to come -_-

So please, if it can be done. Lures! other than poop lol. Something I can use to quickly sneak out of the hatch on my tiny vault, drop away and make them leave in that direction :D maybe firecrackers?.

I subscribe to the lure of half a dozen forges burning up stone, set below a spike pit of doom. it would be rather interesting if there was a "low impact" and high impact" mode to the forges, like the high impact crafts tons faster, but at a magnified heat map rate. that would be fun. like...if you use a specific fuel, vs wood...I wonder if that's even doable. having different fuels have different "production rates"

whacha think, Valmar? wood < charcoal < coal ?

each one processes faster, but causes more heat?

I subscribe to the lure of half a dozen forges burning up stone, set below a spike pit of doom. it would be rather interesting if there was a "low impact" and high impact" mode to the forges, like the high impact crafts tons faster, but at a magnified heat map rate. that would be fun. like...if you use a specific fuel, vs wood...I wonder if that's even doable. having different fuels have different "production rates"

whacha think, Valmar? wood < charcoal < coal ?

each one processes faster, but causes more heat?

not possible with xml... fuel is fuel, regardless of work station

Hey Val,

What are the zombie differences between CHS horde and overhaul with the horde mod?

Honestly I barely remember.

The special boss zombies are still there. Headshots are still there. Slower dogs. No climbing. Less block damage.

Thats all that stands out in memory.

This should do the trick:

<item id="1460" name="unit_iron">

<property name="CustomIcon" value="scrapIron" />

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Misc/sackPrefab" />

<property name="DropMeshfile" value="Items/Misc/sack_droppedPrefab" />

<property name="Material" value="metal" />

<property name="HoldType" value="45" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="30000" />

<property name="Weight" value="1" />

<property name="Group" value="Resources" />

<property name="ResourceUnit" value="true" />

<property name="MeltTimePerUnit" value="0.25" />

<property name="UserHidden" value="true" />

<property name="CraftingIngredientTime" value="0.5" />

<property name="IsDeveloper" value="true" />

</item>

Increase that number. Should effect all the units as they all extend from this.

So, I had this strange idea....maybe it requires a work bench...or it's own work bench...but I was thinking. suppose you....find a spiked club, or machete in your travels, but you don't have the recipe book unlocked. sure, you could spend the points on it, but it strikes me as..the most REALISTIC way to learn how to make a thing, is to dismanatle it, examine it's components, and understand how it's made.

I mean....a machete is a shaped piece of metal, with a handle using rivets. even a simple "maker could trace templates of the blade, to get the shape, and thickness, and basically replicate from the master. so icould see, in game, if you have a tool or weapon that is unlocked, to have an option in the workbench, to "reverse engineer" in order to gain the recipe. and for balance....I wouldn't mind if the original was destroyed. since rivets can't be put back, and all that. though if it gave me forged iron for "scrap" that'd be pretty fun.

it's mostly a fun idea, understanding that with a little work, and skill points, one WILL get all the recipes anyway. but...i could see it as a way of making a lucky break even luckier.

- - - Updated - - -

not possible with xml... fuel is fuel, regardless of work station

Ahhh, sorta dissapointing, but it's all good, I often just shout out ideas, I enjoy the forum for the brainstorming, to help Valmar make his mod better. what would be super cool, is if one of the Devs was in here, listening in, getting ideas for stuff to incorporate into the vanilla game.

@Drakitty

Being able to "dismantle" items to learn how to make them is a nice idea. I might do something like that with the medieval mod whenever it reaches that point. Nice as the idea may be it isnt really a casual change to do on a whim. So it'd be better if I do it when I begin the xml work on medieval so I can build the whole thing around it. Im thinking to unlock the perk for X you have to level Dismantling in it to a certain level. So dismantle five X to learn the recipe. Or something like that.

@Siddus

Player backpacks aren't touched by this mod. So vanilla issue.

@Drakitty

Being able to "dismantle" items to learn how to make them is a nice idea. I might do something like that with the medieval mod whenever it reaches that point. Nice as the idea may be it isnt really a casual change to do on a whim. So it'd be better if I do it when I begin the xml work on medieval so I can build the whole thing around it. Im thinking to unlock the perk for X you have to level Dismantling in it to a certain level. So dismantle five X to learn the recipe. Or something like that.

Yeah, I realise a lot of my brainstorms aren't gonna be easy or doable.... but if they're never thought up, or pondered, then good ideas won't happen. I'm glad you liked it anyway.

A few questions,

1) How do I remove or reduce the drop rate of the survivor notes? They are too numerous to the point of being OP (IMHO).

2) How do I enable harvesting with tools - I'm just too lazy to remove an item from my tool belt to punch a plant.

Thanks for your hard work!

Archived