Sign in to follow this  
Valmar

A16 Valmod Pack

Hi Valmar,

Only just cracking 50 hours into vanilla game so far and just came across your mods. It looks brilliant, but im new to mods on 7DTD, so i would really appreciate it if you could let me know whether i need to understand modding to use this? If i just install your mod will it simply just work? Or will i need to tinker with the xml (is that it?) files?

I know i sound like 'that guy' right now, but hey, it is what it is. I appreciate any help you can give me on this :)

Hi Valmar,

Only just cracking 50 hours into vanilla game so far and just came across your mods. It looks brilliant, but im new to mods on 7DTD, so i would really appreciate it if you could let me know whether i need to understand modding to use this? If i just install your mod will it simply just work? Or will i need to tinker with the xml (is that it?) files?

I know i sound like 'that guy' right now, but hey, it is what it is. I appreciate any help you can give me on this :)

Nope, just download, extract the files to your 7dtd folder and that's it.

Choose either "overhaul" or "expansion" to download though

Overhaul is more fun, also would be better to start with a new char for overhaul :)

@Srsen

You don't need to know modding or have to tinker with any files. Its all done for you. All you have to do is follow the install instructions which is essentially a simple drag-and-drop process. As long as you drop the Data and Mods folder into the right location (as per the install steps) then you're golden.

Excellent - thanks both of you. Valmar, if this in anyway extends my game enjoyment you can expect a donation comin your way.

One question though, how do you make such major changes to assets and systems in the game - are there assets already existing in the game but not yet enabled that you 'activate' or do you just re-purpose and redesign existing things in-game? So confused how you achieve such huge changes in the game.

oh and also, is the files in the OP the most updated? Or should i search back through the forum for newest mod?

@Srsen

My mod is purely xml-driven. Which is to say that I don't actually change any of the assets of anything that would otherwise require the third-party modding tool "SDX". I guess the closest way to explain it would be to say that I achieved it all by re-purposing existing things. New stuff is added, of course, but most is based around the vanilla stuff in some way or another.

There is a shocking amount of stuff you can pull off with just the xml files - which essentially are nothing but small text files.

The files you grab from the original download buttons in the OP will always be the latest version.

Love.This.Mod.

After playing 50+ hours in vanilla and xbox version your Valmod Pack is such a great enhancement!

LOVE IT! Thank you!

Hey Val, I've sent you a pull request to expand the perk attributes window out and shrink the font size a bit so you can list 30 attributes instead of the current 5.

14a914c6-649d-11e6-9cb8-2067f3b7386c.jpg

Spider has tested the 15 slot one I did for him and it works without issues so far :)

The font size is a bit small. I worry it would be difficult to read for older users or those with lesser eyesight. Wouldn't it get even more difficult to read if the resolution is shorten? Also how does the resized window handle smaller resolutions? Such as those that are not a 16:9 format?

I do love the general idea though. Especially expanding the list of shown recipes. I never knew it was so easy. Appears I just increase the grid rows and add skillattributes entry for each added grip row, correct?

To handle the issue of the Improvised Armor it might be a better approach for me if I break the perk up into tiers rather than crushing them all into one single perk.

If you want to leave the font then skip the controls.xml change and change the rows to 15 instead ;)

You can use the same window size as the 30 version

@Srsen

My mod is purely xml-driven. Which is to say that I don't actually change any of the assets of anything that would otherwise require the third-party modding tool "SDX". I guess the closest way to explain it would be to say that I achieved it all by re-purposing existing things. New stuff is added, of course, but most is based around the vanilla stuff in some way or another.

There is a shocking amount of stuff you can pull off with just the xml files - which essentially are nothing but small text files.

Actually pretty interesting - the flexibility of code that is. I cant even begin to actually wrap my head around it, but still, pretty impressive man.

Hi all. I love the Valmod Pack, but i find it bit too hard. Is there a possibility to make "Level 200 Skill Cap" http://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/7/? compatible with Valmods pack? Thanks for help in advance and cheers! :frown-new:

If you are finding the mod too difficult I'd advise playing the Expansion Pack rather than the Overhaul, assuming you are. Otherwise lower the game difficulty.

A level 200 skill cap is fairly easy to add and I might include something akin to that when A16 drops. Though no telling how much longer that will be, and its not high on my priorities atm. Its on my radar, though.

If you are finding the mod too difficult I'd advise playing the Expansion Pack rather than the Overhaul, assuming you are. Otherwise lower the game difficulty.

A level 200 skill cap is fairly easy to add and I might include something akin to that when A16 drops. Though no telling how much longer that will be, and its not high on my priorities atm. Its on my radar, though.

Ok. To do that i need to just copy valmod pack skills from progression.xml to 200 lvl cap progression.xml? :o And what is the best xml editor? Thanks again in advance :D

After some time spent i'm giving up. I tried to do retail skills as it is on "200 level cap mod", and the Valmod Pack's skills retail as they're default, but i failed :tyrannosaurus:. Guess i'll wait till A16. Thanks

Hey Valmar, sorry if I'm wrong about this but can you only get a blood draw kit from the air drops now? Is this intended?

Would it be OP if I added it to the merchant mailbox thingy?

Edited by friedonions (see edit history)

Hey Valmar, sorry if I'm wrong about this but can you only get a blood draw kit from the air drops now? Is this intended?

In Overhaul actually it isn't intended. You're not suppose to be finding them at all in the Overhaul because they are not used in Overhaul. I'll fix that.

In Overhaul actually it isn't intended. You're not suppose to be finding them at all in the Overhaul because they are not used in Overhaul. I'll fix that.

What about expansion?

Like in vanilla you can find the blood draw kits on nurses. But in the Valmod Expansion its a 3 % chance from an air drop. Just wondering why.

What about expansion?

Like in vanilla you can find the blood draw kits on nurses. But in the Valmod Expansion its a 3 % chance from an air drop. Just wondering why.

What version are you using? While its true in Expansion they were not set to drop on nurses (just fixed that) they shouldn't had been dropping in the supply drops prior. Im curious why yours said they had a 3% drop chance.

What version are you using? While its true in Expansion they were not set to drop on nurses (just fixed that) they shouldn't had been dropping in the supply drops prior. Im curious why yours said they had a 3% drop chance.

Currently using V3.26.

I searched loot.xml for bloodDrawkit and it only brings up this:

<lootcontainer id="70" count="2,5" size="8,9" destroy_on_close="true" sound_open="UseActions/open_chest" sound_close="UseActions/close_chest" loot_quality_template="baseTemplate">

<item group="militaryguns+ammo"/>

<item group="rareBooks"/>

<item group="airdropMedicine"/>

<item group="herbalRecipes"/>

<item group="questChallenge"/>

<item name="calipers" prob="0.075"/> <!-- = 5% -->

<item name="toolAndDieSet" prob="0.075"/>

<item name="bloodDrawKit" prob="0.03"/>

</lootcontainer>

I'm just assuming that is an air drop.

Hi Valmar again :panda: . I changed value "skill_points_per_level" from 5 to 10. And after that i get an error.

7dtd.jpg.0a23b1599450926cee84fb94095afb25.jpg

7dtdcz2.jpg.2bf6754bbf5b0510bcad97ade7fa9f4a.jpg

On fresh install everything works, but after i modify that value (just changing 5 to 10) it crashs. Any clue? :grumpy:

Hi Valmar

This is my first time writing on these forums. It is also the first time I used a mod for this game. To be honest, I didn't even know mods were this GREAT for this kind of game.

I am thankful for your mod , I really am! I love reading your description, almost as reading changelogs and patch notes.

But I have a question for your mod and the other one I tried, true survival. So here goes..

I noticed there is some kind of a delay and frame skipping when using mods. When opening crafting menu and inventory, dragging and dropping items in inventory. I wouldn't call it stuttering, more like freezing. Is that due to the nature of mods for this game or is something wrong on my end?

If you need more info, I am happy to provide!

Hi Valmar

This is my first time writing on these forums. It is also the first time I used a mod for this game. To be honest, I didn't even know mods were this GREAT for this kind of game.

I am thankful for your mod , I really am! I love reading your description, almost as reading changelogs and patch notes.

But I have a question for your mod and the other one I tried, true survival. So here goes..

I noticed there is some kind of a delay and frame skipping when using mods. When opening crafting menu and inventory, dragging and dropping items in inventory. I wouldn't call it stuttering, more like freezing. Is that due to the nature of mods for this game or is something wrong on my end?

Its because TFP coded the inventory really badly and mods add a lot more recipes that end up in the lag you get. Essentially whenever a craft list is open it scans the list for craftable items every time your inventory changes and the more recipes listed the worse it gets.

You can add a few recipes to favourites and click the star, or type what you want in search and make the list a lot shorter as a workaround.

• Like 1

Currently using V3.26.

I searched loot.xml for bloodDrawkit and it only brings up this:

<lootcontainer id="70" count="2,5" size="8,9" destroy_on_close="true" sound_open="UseActions/open_chest" sound_close="UseActions/close_chest" loot_quality_template="baseTemplate">

<item group="militaryguns+ammo"/>

<item group="rareBooks"/>

<item group="airdropMedicine"/>

<item group="herbalRecipes"/>

<item group="questChallenge"/>

<item name="calipers" prob="0.075"/> <!-- = 5% -->

<item name="toolAndDieSet" prob="0.075"/>

<item name="bloodDrawKit" prob="0.03"/>

</lootcontainer>

I'm just assuming that is an air drop.

That would be the treasure chest.

Hi Valmar again :panda: . I changed value "skill_points_per_level" from 5 to 10. And after that i get an error.

On fresh install everything works, but after i modify that value (just changing 5 to 10) it crashs. Any clue? :grumpy:

The images really dont help when they're smaller than a youtube thumbnail. My eyesight is not currently on superhuman levels - at least not until the cybernetic augmentations arrive.

Show me a pastebin of the progression.xml

Hi Valmar

Stompy pretty much hit the nail the on the head with this one. Its nothing on your end, its just the game struggling to keep up with the hundreds and hundreds of new recipes mods add. LOL.

• Like 1

Idk why u want all the progression.xml when i changed only one value in the beggining. Didn't even used pastebin.com earlier so please, have mercy :suspicion:

http://pastebin.com/2fa8S2eQ

(Seventh line, <player skill_point_multiplier="0" skill_points_per_level="10" experience_multiplier="1.01" exp_to_level="4000" max_level="200"/>

Edited by Rodgard
more information (see edit history)