A16 Survivor's Pack Starting Gear

Valmar

With what I currently use, you get a regular barrel back - but at your skill level.

If you're level 40 you get a QL 350-450 barrel.

That makes weapon crafting far more than a once-every-RL-day activity because you can often use gun parts that you find in the field (if you have enough repair kits).

Field strip your gun, upgrade with the part you just found, put it back together. Faster, stronger, you have the technology!

With what you are (not quite =) planning, it would be the "advanced" barrel instead.

And even if it were regular barrels and only the "gunsmith" had those recipes, it would be a lot easier for him to manufacture good parts. Or at least much better than the usual trash.

That would be trivial to mod. (bunch of recipes and 1 gating book)

Oh I see you allow gunsmiths to essentially "re-roll" for better quality equipment by crafting together two others of the same type. What I planned was having a whole other tier of weapons that are slightly better damage wise but mainly better in terms of durability (they know how to take care of their guns) but have these high grade weapons be locked behind the gunsmith book.

Though I would probably not go with gunsmith but rather split it up into two sections - Rifleman and Gunslinger. Rifleman get access to making higher grade hunting rifles and snipers where as the gunslinger gets advanced pistol and magnums. Perhaps even a CQC class for advanced smg and shotguns. Perhaps even add a special Weapon Assembly Kit specifically for these upgrades.

Hm, so many ideas. You've been of great inspirational support for all this, Gazz, thank you again. I'm sure to have a lot of fun creating all this soon. I'm also surprised that there is such interest here for such a system. I honestly always figured having a "class" system would be more niche. Especially with how many people complained over the forgeahead book. The thought of having more things behind books I figured would be glared at. Perhaps I was wrong.

I'm thinking... more gated items, though some of the items are only obtainable by Survivor Notes because you won't find a book that tells you how to make an improvised weapon - that will be something you learn from the notes of fallen survivors.

I've read through your Survivor Notes thread again to reacquaint myself. I like the idea, but prefer a simpler implementation: a secondary way to get recipes for things there's unlikely to be books for at Barnes and Noble, e.g, you still loot bookshelves for "setInConcrete" but can only learn "flamingArrowSchematic" from a survivor note you obtain from the body of a zombie at a very small percentage chance.

I do like professions but, personally, I like that someone can become a "master" of everything. I like the freedom. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have professions that help you out in the start by giving you a beginning advantage, however. Which IS something I think can be done.

I agree that professions should be a starting boost but shouldn't indefinitely limit what a player can accomplish.

Gameplay demands (meaningful) choices. Choices demand limitations.

Well put. I like the professions because, and I've said this before, it gives you value that can't be picked from your corpse. A player who encounters you will have to think "I could kill this guy, but then again, maybe I can convince him to build me a sniper rifle".

That was what I meant by improvised weapons. I doubt you're going to find a book about how to make a flaming arrow. That seems more like something you'd learn from a survivor. Hence, survivor notes. Though I'd still require them to actually choose the book by the crafting menu such as my Survivor Note mod does. Its a bit of an annoyance of mine to constantly be finding the same few books over and over again to recipes I've known forever. With my system you get more choice and are less at the mercy of the RNG.

• 2 weeks later...
Its a quirk. A very weird quirk that took a lot of trail and error to understand on my part. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Suffice to say if you set those values to 1 you'll get two of them. Because the container is set to 1 and it gives the group and if an item in the group is also set to 1 then it adds to the 1 from the container, making two. Forcing it to be 0 means it will only be the 1 declared from the container.

It's... a confusing system, in all honesty. Or at least it is for me.

I retract my earlier statement.

I always thought needing count="0" to get only 1 was weird. Turns out all my test saves were set to 200% loot abundance and thats why. My apologies for anyone inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this, it worked EXCEPT when I got the schematic (Hunting Rifle) it said I had already read it, yet when I checked It hasn't registered as I had in crafting menu. Is this a common glitch? It would be no use to me if whatever scemetic I get I can't use and is now blocked from me because of it.

I tried this, it worked EXCEPT when I got the schematic (Hunting Rifle) it said I had already read it, yet when I checked It hasn't registered as I had in crafting menu. Is this a common glitch? It would be no use to me if whatever scemetic I get I can't use and is now blocked from me because of it.

Correction Make that ALL schematics AND books are now 'read', even modded ones. If this mod does this, sorry it's useless to me.

That would most likely be something else you've done, or an error in your editing somewhere.

I've been using this on both my servers for a while now without any issues. Played to level 60 twice on one of them.

@Fireidar

I'm sorry you're having problems.

My mod works fine and even if it didn't it shouldn't give the problems you're describing. I don't actually touch any of the recipe books, I just give them to the player. Though I guess its possible this problem is from entering my code wrong - I'm skeptical of that though.

What other mods have you added or what other changes have you done to your XML files? Could you send me your config folder? I can take a look at it and see what the problem is, if you'd like.

No. I believe that was a bug back in the day but was fixed when alpha 12 was released. Even then it was only a bug that effected servers if I recall correctly. It had to do with the server not pushing the loot.xml to clients.

There can be issues with adding groups to containers if the container that points to that group comes BEFORE that lootgroup on the list, though. If that makes sense. For example:

Work:

<lootgroup name="HunterClass" count="all">

<item name="leatherTanning" count="1" />

</lootgroup>

<lootcontainer id="251" count="1" size="8,4" destroy_on_close="true" sound_open="UseActions/open_backpack" sound_close="UseActions/close_backpack" open_time="1.5" >

<item group="HunterClass" />

</lootcontainer>

WONT work:

<lootcontainer id="251" count="1" size="8,4" destroy_on_close="true" sound_open="UseActions/open_backpack" sound_close="UseActions/close_backpack" open_time="1.5" >

<item group="HunterClass" />

</lootcontainer>

<lootgroup name="HunterClass" count="all">

<item name="leatherTanning" count="1" />

</lootgroup>

Its one of the few (only that I know of) cases where the position in the XML file actually matters.

Note: In my tests there was actually a limit to how many loot containers you can have (or rather, how high the number can go). I wrote down the number but I have since lost it, unfortunately. The highest container I have so far is 223 - so that should give you some idea of how much leeway you have. If I ever rediscover the limit I'll keep better track of it and mention it. I should had done so originally. Shame.

Valmar,

Sorry if this is a 'newb' question, but I've havent attempted to mod 7Days yet, and I was wanting to make sure I didn't screw something up. When you say 'add the block', does that mean to replace the [value=bottledWater,canChili,firstAidBandage,torch] with what's in the file you linked? Can you post an example of what it should look like once it's added? Sorry if this is something that should be obvious, but I appreciate any help you can give.

Never worry about newb questions. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough with the original instructions.

I'm not very good at this sort of thing but I will try to explain it.

First off I recommend getting notepad++. It's a free program and will make all this much easier. Link

Now you're going to want to go to your game's config folder to mod the xmls. This folder can be found in the games install directory\data\config.

Yours will likely look a bit different but this is the folder location of mine just for example:

G:\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config

Again, mine is very likely different from yours since I have my games on a separate drive and not default. If you do not know how to locate this folder let me know.

Now in the config folder you'll see a bunch of xml files. Biomes, blocks, buffs, entityclasses, so on and so on.

Find the one called blocks.xml

Now open the link I provided in the original post that says Blocks.xml. What you're going to want to do is copy/paste that linked code into your blocks.xml. You can click "raw" on pastebin.com to get JUST the code, if that makes it any easier for you to copy it.

In your blocks.xml you'll want to paste that info at the bottom of the document. But not the VERY bottom. Notice at the bottom of your xml file there is </blocks> (don't confuse this for </block>)? All your code is going to need to be kept above that. So basically make sure </blocks> stays at the very bottom of the file at all times. Paste my provided code after the last code in the file (the last </block> line) but again be sure its not placed after </blocks>. This may sound confusing but its only because I'm not good at explaining things.

Now that you pasted it just save the file. You're done with blocks. Now open your loot.xml and go to the bottom. Same as before you're going to want to add my code found at the Loot.xml link I provided into your loot.xml file. You're going to want to put it at the bottom, same as before, while being sure to keep </lootcontainers> at the very bottom of the file. You're probably noticing a pattern here, yes? :)

For the last step open your entityclasses.xml. Search the document (or just scroll down - btw ctrl+f brings up the search function) for these two lines:

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="bottledWater,canChili,firstAidBandage,torch" />

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="bottledWater,canChili,firstAidBandage,torch,keystone" />

The value there is what tells the game what you spawn with when you first enter it. Currently its bottled water, can chill, first aid bandage and a torch. As you can see multiplayer has its own list which is the same as singleplayer but includes the keystone. You're either going to want to replace all of that (except the keystone) with just my survivors backpack or add my backpack to the list. My packpack comes with these items already so you just replace them. This is what it should look like:

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="Survivor's Pack (Locked)" />

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="Survivor's Pack (Locked),keystone" />

Btw you might notice that there are two of these found in the entityclasses.xml. One for the Male player and one for the Female. You're going to want to do the same for the female aswell.

I hope that clears things up a bit. If not then let me know and I can just send you an already modded file that has this. It'd be easier but you don't learn anything that way :p

Wow, I must say...that is one impressive crater.

Used to be a large, like 8-10 story building there, yes. One of the intact ones, that look like apartment buildings. And I think that was about 15 or so Miner's TNT, that I lumped together in the center of the top floor.

Large quanities (and by that I mean like more than three) seem to make a pretty huge impact on video performance, and if you get more than 5-6 it brings things to a halt. Over ten, and it starts going into 'frames per minute' territory.

I wish I could have recorded the explosion though. It was pretty awesome, the center of the building blew out wards, punching holes in the outer walls, and then the whole thing started to collapse from the outside in. Was like watching large-scale demolitions that they do in big city's.

Oh, and the links don't show the notes...but using that car next to the crater as a scale, and doing some rough estimation, that crater is about 185 feet across.

I have Rongo's mod and the Navezhattan one, but that's all. I even tried deleting the entire game and reinstalling WITHOUT the other mods, and it still happened. I didn't do anything other than what you instructed, so I don't know what caused it. The pack works fine, no problem OTHER than the one I told you about. And when I recently double checked it by going into the creative menu (before I deleted the game and reinstalled) I found it was ALL books and schematics EXCEPT one, the Ammunition Nation book. It even did this on my previous saves, blocking me from reading ANY OTHER book. I would send you a copy of my config folder, but as I said, I deleted and reinstalled, this time with just Rongo's and the Navezhattan. If you want me to I can reinstall AGAIN, check and send it to you?

Archived