Trader Reset

We are doing a play-through where the goal is to run a trader in each biome from tier 1 through tier 5. We have about finished our first trader (Joel in the Forest) and are about to head  into the Desert. If the desert trader is also Joel we'd like to set him back to offering tier 1s so we can go through the progression again. I know we can just select lower tier quests but we're hoping there's a way to reset a trader.

Using admin options I've tried the Quest Reset function but it doesn't seem to do what I'm  looking for.

M-M-Max Headroom

15 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

We are doing a play-through where the goal is to run a trader in each biome from tier 1 through tier 5. We have about finished our first trader (Joel in the Forest) and are about to head  into the Desert. If the desert trader is also Joel we'd like to set him back to offering tier 1s so we can go through the progression again. I know we can just select lower tier quests but we're hoping there's a way to reset a trader.

Using admin options I've tried the Quest Reset function but it doesn't seem to do what I'm  looking for.

M-M-Max Headroom

I'm not sure you can, but it sounds like you have one trader per biome?  If so, why not just edit the prefabs.xml file before playing so that there each trader in there is unique?

I didn't realize the quests followed the "trader" I assumed it was tied to the unique instanced entity/location of the trader itself and not the "trader" as entity across all locations.

Can this be confirmed?

46 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Confirmed is a strong word, but yes, all Hughs on a map will be on the same tier of quests.

Trader Hugh should only spawn on mountain tops. The dude would overheat in seconds anywhere else.

Are dup traders a big issue with vanilla RWG?
I'd like a "1 of each trader only" setting

I use terragon and often get like 15 traders on a 10km map. I'd like to be able to restrict it to 1 instance of each. Nothing worse than getting the find the next trader mission and it's a dup. lol

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, warmer said:

A matter of opinion, I'd say.. doesn't bother me, but I'd be surprised if duplicates would still appear in gold.

4 hours ago, warmer said:

Trader Hugh should only spawn on mountain tops. The dude would overheat in seconds anywhere else.

I use terragon and often get like 15 traders on a 10km map. I'd like to be able to restrict it to 1 instance of each. Nothing worse than getting the find the next trader mission and it's a dup. lol

It's easy in Teragon to limit traders to one of each.  :)  You have options to limit max spawn of any prefabs, including traders.  You can also adjust the theme duplicate distance and POI duplicate distance values without needing to edit the XML itself, which is helpful since editing the XML can lose those changes whenever the game updates.

RWG doesn't give you the option directly.  However, you can edit the XML for the traders before making the map in RWG so it has the duplicate distance (not the theme distance) set to something like 10k.  Then you'd only get one of each per map.  You can also edit the prefabs.xml after making the map with RWG and replace the extra traders with some other same-sized POI if it really matters to you.

Personally, I'd hate to be on a large map (even 8k) and have only 5 traders on the entire map.  I travel the map because there are traders in basically every town.  Without that, I'd never have a reason to travel.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

If the trader quest are the same across all instances, I am guessing the inventory is as well. I once played a game where the first four traders I encountered were Jen. It would be nice when we do get dups that each is unique. I tend to buy out certain mags. Never noticed if that pulls from all instances of that specific traders inventory.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

It's easy in Teragon to limit traders to one of each.  :)  You have options to limit max spawn of any prefabs, including traders.  You can also adjust the theme duplicate distance and POI duplicate distance values without needing to edit the XML itself, which is helpful since editing the XML can lose those changes whenever the game updates.

RWG doesn't give you the option directly.  

I need to read the traders specific options more. I usually just have them set to 1 per town and haven't looks at it more. 1 of each with few dups of other POI would be great. For a solo 6k map

21 minutes ago, warmer said:

If the trader quest are the same across all instances, I am guessing the inventory is as well. I once played a game where the first four traders I encountered were Jen. It would be nice when we do get dups that each is unique. I tend to buy out certain mags. Never noticed if that pulls from all instances of that specific traders inventory.

I need to read the traders specific options more. I usually just have them set to 1 per town and haven't looks at it more. 1 of each with few dups of other POI would be great. For a solo 6k map

No, inventories vary.  Only quest tier and trader stage are the same.

If you need help with it, feel free to visit us on the Teragon Discord or go to the Teragon Maps thread in Mods\Tools forum and ask there.  :)