Possible to view entire exposed map?

I haven't been able to figure out how to use the editing tools, but I suspect I might be able to use them to do what I want. I've created a world and started my game on it. But I don't remember where all the cities and POIs are and I'd like to be able see the entire exposed map, if just for a few seconds so I can locate a good starting location to set up shop. Is there a console command to do this, or a way using the Editing Tools? I need a way that shows the coordinates so I can write them down and head there in game. The more specific and step by step you can be, the better. 

Thanks for any insights or suggestions!

1 hour ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

Is there a console command to do this, or a way using the Editing Tools?

When you are in DebugMode (Console Command: dm) and you open up the map there is a icon on the top right corner that looks like a light switch. If you enable it you see a static version of the map with all the cities and landmarks exposed.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

When you are in DebugMode (Console Command: dm) and you open up the map there is a icon on the top right corner that looks like a light switch. If you enable it you see a static version of the map with all the cities and landmarks exposed.

Wow I did not know this, ya learn something new every day.

Its not in the game but the 7 Days to Die Map Renderer Alpha 21 does a great job.  It will allow a player to explore the map and find prefabs and POIs etc. that they may be interested in.  It can be a little immersion breaking but it allows a player to assess a map before playing it, if desired.  A player may also save images of the map for offline reference. 

You could also look in prefabs.xml in the GeneratedWorlds folder for your map.  That has the coordinates of every POI in your map and is easily searchable and editable.  Just be careful editing POIs in places you've already visited... strange things can happen.

But, if you're after a quick solution then RipClaw has the right of it.

You can also hop into God Mode once you've enabled Debug Mode and fly around looking for a good place.  If you really want to be clever, once in Debug Mode you can open up your map and CTRL-Right Click (I think I have that correct, not in a good spot to check) on a place and instantly teleport there (careful, things can get messy in a hurry at some locations).

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

You could also look in prefabs.xml in the GeneratedWorlds folder for your map.  That has the coordinates of every POI in your map and is easily searchable and editable.  Just be careful editing POIs in places you've already visited... strange things can happen.

I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure that editing the prefabs.xml will have no effect on your current games.  It only affects new games with that world.  I have made edits of it without any impact on current saves and only on new games.  

After editing the prefabs.xml, and performing a chunk reset around the particular POI in question, or a region reset for the whole region it is contained within, the prefabs.xml edits can take effect since the cached data has been purged.

1 hour ago, arramus said:

After editing the prefabs.xml, and performing a chunk reset around the particular POI in question, or a region reset for the whole region it is contained within, the prefabs.xml edits can take effect since the cached data has been purged.

Ok, yes.  That will work.  Thanks for pointing that part out as I wasn't thinking about that.  But just editing the file won't change anything without the reset.