Gyrocopter tutorial

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

WTF so they don't really have to be crash-landed every single time? 🤔

Mind.

blown.

I wonder where they respawm If they accidentally press "E" or whatever command they eject with, maybe they have a parachute unlike the FPs. Come to think of it that would be a good feature in game.

In reality they probably would not want to stand up on that thing in mid flight.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Catdaddy said:

The plane in the video has a power-assist rotor. That would be a great in-game mod for shorter takeoffs.

It is actually possible to take off in a very short space in the game, though it is unrealistic in how that happens.  You almost have to get the gyrocopter pointing almost straight up right away until you get height with to clear trees or other obstacles before leveling out.  If you do it right, you can take off in not much space at all.  If you don't.... Well, you crash. 😁

It is just like landing.  You can land in almost no distance as well if you don't mind the lack of realism.  You just exit the gyrocopter as soon as you touch the ground and it will stop instantly.

But, yes, having that feature in game would make things far easier.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

17 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Looks like he is using roll to turn and not all rudder. That's the only really unrealistic part of the Gyrocopter in 7DTD

Well, not the only unrealistic thing; In 7DTD, if you pitch up too far, you do this weird loop. In reality you would stall and likely crash.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

You can land in almost no sausage as well if you don't mind the lack of realism.  You just exit the gyrocopter as soon as you touch the ground and it will stop instantly.

We'd be watching a very different video if the guy tried that in real life! 🤪

11 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

WTF

World Transit Flights?

image.png.014f0dde2fe4d1adf4c78654bffb6ca5.png

19 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is actually possible to take off in a very short space in the game, though it is unrealistic in how that happens.  You almost have to get the gyrocopter pointing almost straight up right away until you get height with to clear trees or other obstacles before leveling out.  If you do it right, you can take off in not much space at all.  If you don't.... Well, you crash. 😁

It is just like landing.  You can land in almost no distance as well if you don't mind the lack of realism.  You just exit the gyrocopter as soon as you touch the ground and it will stop instantly.

But, yes, having that feature in game would make things far easier.

Don't even need to do that. With some practice you can get to a hover just above your landing spot and drop onto it lightly. 

I always put my strip on top of my base. It's 9x12. Taking off I only drop a little bit after hitting the end of the 12-block runway and then I'm off. When coming in for a landing, I can do it from any direction.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Don't even need to do that. With some practice you can get to a hover just above your landing spot and drop onto it lightly. 

I always put my strip on top of my base. It's 9x12. Taking off I only drop a little bit after hitting the end of the 12-block runway and then I'm off. When coming in for a landing, I can do it from any direction.

Yeah, if you take off from the top of a building, it's not at all difficult.  I've never tried getting to a standstill/hover while landing.  I just do a normal landing.  But I might try that out of curiosity.  I was just pointing out that distance really wasn't as big of an issue as some think.  :)

The only time I ever made a specific landing place was in one map where I made an actual runway with lights and a tower.  It wasn't because I needed a long runway but that I liked the look of it.  Still wasn't realistic in length but I wasn't concerned about that and it was still probably 50m long with lights down both sides.  The only downside to the lights were that you had to watch out for them and not run them over with any vehicles or you'd need to replace them when they broke.  Easier to do that on a roof where you only have to be concerned about the gyro hitting them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 3:48 AM, meilodasreh said:

WTF so they don't really have to be crash-landed every single time? 🤔

Mind.

blown.

My mind was blown by the THREE gauges!  Imagine knowing RPM, air speed, altitude, attitude (allow for zero stick) ... which are actually arguably more situationally important than fuel gauge and% damage.  Bonus points if the gyro actually behaved like a gyro and maintained auto-rotation when you stopped pressing W.  Speaking of W, actual aircraft have a throttle control, and not a gas pedal... for obvious falling out of the sky reasons.  I instantly regretted the lack of altimeter the first time I flew into a fog bank.