Block Limit increased with A21

kanealpha

This is just guessing on my part, but since this isn't a new problem in 7D2D I would assume the block limit is a rather hard limit, not easy to circumvent. It isn't just an arbitrary number someone put in the code just for kicks but very likely a number that can't get higher because block ids are stored somewhere in a specific number of bytes. It may even be that TFP can't change that at all if Unity for example is dictating the number of bytes to use. Or simply because TFP used up all the bits and bytes in their block data already so there simply is no way for the block id to grow.

That may be a dilemma for TFP as they don't want to constrain their own designers or the feature list of their vanilla game, but they still want to make the game mod-friendly. IMHO they have to reserve some space for mods, but that space might be less than the biggest mods might want.

I'd be curious to know more about what the block limit is. I've started to add custom (XML-only) blocks to my modlet and if I hurtling toward some limit that would affect my customers I'd like to design/engineer with that in mind.

Just now, zztong said:

Do you have any idea what it is numerically speaking? A value of 16,384? 32,768? 65,536? Perhaps?

No. I think one of the modders who reached the limit would know best. I can only guess that with over 1000 shapes in the building menu the value likely is 2048, 4096 or 8192.

From the blocks.xml file

<!-- Block limit: There can be 32k blocks in the game.  0-255 are reserved for air/terrain blocks.
    IDs are generated internally on loading the game/blocks/items (1 byte for terrain, 2 for the rest).

Note that CreativeMode=Test means that they only show in the creative menu in Unity and with the "Dev Blocks" button on.

-->