Do regions reset after x amount of days?

SuperLoserMan

Hi all,

So sorry for starting a whole thread for such a simple question, if there's a containment thread around. I looked around for a bit but didn't see anything.

Do regions reset after x amount of days? I am particularly in the geography. For example, if someone digs a tunnel, or otherwise manipulates the world, like maybe break a hole in the wall of a building. I could've sworn I witnessed a region reset in this way on my dedicated server, even though I didn't initiate a reset. All I can find on Google is tutorials on how to manually reset a region, not any info on if it resets itself or not.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

7 hours ago, SuperLoserMan said:

Hi all,

So sorry for starting a whole thread for such a simple question, if there's a containment thread around. I looked around for a bit but didn't see anything.

Do regions reset after x amount of days? I am particularly in the geography. For example, if someone digs a tunnel, or otherwise manipulates the world, like maybe break a hole in the wall of a building. I could've sworn I witnessed a region reset in this way on my dedicated server, even though I didn't initiate a reset. All I can find on Google is tutorials on how to manually reset a region, not any info on if it resets itself or not.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

No, they do not.  However, in the next alpha, there will be an option that is disabled by default that will allow regions (chunks) to reset after a period of time if no one has been in the region and if no bedroll or land claim block is there.  Loot can respawn, but that's all until A21.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Thanks both of you!

18 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Also, there are server managers that will reset regions in A20.

Any of them on by default?

EDIT: I see Riamus mentioned that only loot respawns. I'm just curious, is there anything at all that would cause a region to reset? Like maybe something goes wrong in a region, the server detects it then wipes it?

Edited by SuperLoserMan (see edit history)

4 hours ago, SuperLoserMan said:

Any of them on by default?

No, you have to configure what region you want to reset, and how often.

4 hours ago, SuperLoserMan said:

is there anything at all that would cause a region to reset?

There was a bug where, if you got more than 30,000 of a thing in a forge, the chunk would reset. Don't think it effected a whole region though.

1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

No, you have to configure what region you want to reset, and how often.

There was a bug where, if you got more than 30,000 of a thing in a forge, the chunk would reset. Don't think it effected a whole region though.

Oh, I think I'm wrong in my terminology. What about chunks? other than the forge glitch, do chunks reset on their own at all? I wasn't aware there was a difference in chunk or region.

18 minutes ago, SuperLoserMan said:

Oh, I think I'm wrong in my terminology. What about chunks? other than the forge glitch, do chunks reset on their own at all? I wasn't aware there was a difference in chunk or region.

A chunk is a 16x16 area. A region is 500x500 off the top of my head. Regions are stored in a specific file, and chunks are bits of the region.  Neither reset on their own. 

Also note that using the chunkreset command in a20 is more likely to break the region file than not.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:21 PM, SylenThunder said:

A chunk is a 16x16 area. A region is 500x500 off the top of my head. Regions are stored in a specific file, and chunks are bits of the region.  Neither reset on their own. 

Also note that using the chunkreset command in a20 is more likely to break the region file than not.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks everyone!