Whats the banger of A21?

13 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

what if i like everything handed to me easily on day 1 and i dont want to be a creative mode cheater or stoop so low as to turn down the difficulty.  

TFP have ruined my playstyle!   

It's good to keep In mind that the game will and/or can get changed again and again until the TFP's decide not to change it anymore, but I understand what your saying. Some people might like something and someone else might hate it. 😀

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

To be doubly fair, the game has always been envisioned as a progression but the progression has always been able to be easily circumvented and rushed by those who wanted to do that. It still can be circumvented and rushed but you will have to do it by blatantly enabling the creative mode rather than exploiting the loopholes that once allowed people to rush the progression.  The game can still be played as a pure sandbox but that is going to be increasingly through the use of creative mode.

Remember that just because you use creative mode, it doesn't mean you have to fully use it for everything. Someone like me enjoys using a wood base for the first bloodmoon and then a cobblestone base for the next two to three, and then a concrete base and finally a steel base for the higher bloodmoons. So I probably would never enable the creative mode since the amount of mining I need to do in the beginning is minimal. By time I'm going for concrete it is around day 30 and I've progressed to the point where I'm ready-- and (IMO) getting a concrete base for the first few bloodmoons is totally overkill defense-wise and makes them so boring (for me).

Someone like you who enjoys mining but only with the best tools and wants to get to concrete as early as possible and is probably going for a much more massive build than I might use the creative menu only for getting those tools and that it.

Then there is sure to be someone who hates mining in any form and they just want the blocks. They can open the creative menu and take 20,000 concrete blocks out and get to building without going through the grind of mining and crafting those blocks.

In single player I don't see any harm in using the creative mode as much or as little as you wish in order to make the game a fun sandbox experience. In this way those that want a progression to the game can do that and those that want less rules and more sandbox can option in the creative mode to get that. In fact, if it was my game I would re-label "Creative Mode" in the options to "Sandbox Mode". That would remove any doubt about what option to toggle in order to get the full sandbox gameplay back into the game.

Truth be told, I pretty much always have the creative menu enabled.  I've only used it once or twice (there was a CompoPack POI I like and wanted to live in, but it had an unavoidable booby trap that would blow up a bunch of blocks, so I used creative to repair it, which was mostly for aesthetic reasons), but I'm 95% of the time playing modded, and it's just a habit from years of playing modded Minecraft to have "cheats" enabled to fix things when they inevitably break.  Strangely, things almost never break in 7 Days unless they're broken from the beginning, or I do something silly like try to remove a mod.

That said, if I tried to use a wooden base for Day 7, I'd be in real trouble, because my Day 7 hordes generally include cops. :)  I generally don't get (self-produced) concrete until Day 14, though, and non-critical parts of my base may not get upgraded just because of time.  Some of the mods I use generally necessitate concrete by Day 14, because lots of zombies that will tear though cobble like tissue paper kinda requires concrete.

But yes, I quite often make massive bases (my biggest one was slightly bigger than the max sized 71 X 71 claim area) so I go through lots of materials (I had one playthrough back in A17, iirc, where I had over 2 million clay stuck in boxes because I'd gotten so much mining sand in the desert.)  The fact that I hate the auger (it's too easy to accidentally hit a block, and you can't repair ores...yes, I have issues) generally increases the time it takes for me to mine things too.

That said, I don't need the "best" tools (like I said, I almost never use the auger, and I have no problems with lower level wrenches, etc.), I just want tools that don't make me feel like I'm wasting my time trying to mine.  Perhaps if there was a stone-tier pickaxe (or the scrap tier that's fairly common in mods was available in the vanilla game or a standalone mod, which it doesn't seem to be any longer) I wouldn't have such issues with tool (and workbench, to be fair.  In A20 I usually have one workbench that's just permanently making cobble) availability.

I have no problem modding, so there's likely to be mods to fix any of my expected A21 issues relatively quickly (I've only done some super basic mods of my own.)  I'm just a bit sad to see the vanilla game seemingly moving further and further away from what I'd thought for years it was intended to be.

Edited by Vaeliorin
Accidental triple post because the editor is weird (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Roland said:

To be doubly fair, the game has always been envisioned as a progression but the progression has always been able to be easily circumvented and rushed by those who wanted to do that. It still can be circumvented and rushed but you will have to do it by blatantly enabling the creative mode rather than exploiting the loopholes that once allowed people to rush the progression.  The game can still be played as a pure sandbox but that is going to be increasingly through the use of creative mode.

Remember that just because you use creative mode, it doesn't mean you have to fully use it for everything. Someone like me enjoys using a wood base for the first bloodmoon and then a cobblestone base for the next two to three, and then a concrete base and finally a steel base for the higher bloodmoons. So I probably would never enable the creative mode since the amount of mining I need to do in the beginning is minimal. By time I'm going for concrete it is around day 30 and I've progressed to the point where I'm ready-- and (IMO) getting a concrete base for the first few bloodmoons is totally overkill defense-wise and makes them so boring (for me).

Someone like you who enjoys mining but only with the best tools and wants to get to concrete as early as possible and is probably going for a much more massive build than I might use the creative menu only for getting those tools and that it.

Then there is sure to be someone who hates mining in any form and they just want the blocks. They can open the creative menu and take 20,000 concrete blocks out and get to building without going through the grind of mining and crafting those blocks.

In single player I don't see any harm in using the creative mode as much or as little as you wish in order to make the game a fun sandbox experience. In this way those that want a progression to the game can do that and those that want less rules and more sandbox can option in the creative mode to get that. In fact, if it was my game I would re-label "Creative Mode" in the options to "Sandbox Mode". That would remove any doubt about what option to toggle in order to get the full sandbox gameplay back into the game.

I like to grind, so I feel good when I build what I want for a base. I also stay in game longer than most I would imagine. My last game I was 160 some days in and my base was still not done. It may have been about some 80% done at that point .

I always earn what I get without using the CM, It just feels like cheating using the CM, so if my base is done on day 180, I am happy.

Here is where I left off of my incomplete base before my PC died.

Spoiler

Rj62jq1.png

InO6rxd.png

RXytEJk.png

JOiPyix.png

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

4 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

i dont want to be a creative mode cheater

1 hour ago, bobrpggamer said:

It just feels like cheating using the CM

There is no cheating in single-player. There is only having fun the way you like to have fun. Enabling the creative mode is simply a different type of mod that some will enjoy playing. I know that it is often asked of people who show amazing bases whether they did it using creative mode or not and some people feel like they have to state what was or was not enabled when they share pictures. That's just opinion, though, and everyone has their own opinion.

I can tell you that even with creative mode enabled I wouldn't be able to build some of the amazing bases I see built. My bases are always bricks and when I get really creative the best that you could describe them would be a variation on the theme of...a brick. So creative menu or not I am always impressed by the designs regardless of whether all the blocks were hand mined, hand crafted, or whether they were upgraded from frames or placed as whole blocks.

I once tried to replicate my own house and I grew bored of it long before it was completed and a big part of that was that I wanted to do it without the creative menu. If I get the urge to try it again in the future I will certainly use the creative menu so I have a chance of completing before the grind erases the fun.

It's fairly straightforward to make mining faster, without modding or using creative, just by turning up player block damage in the game settings.  Putting that to 200% or something will make you mine just as fast with poor tools as the speed you're used to with good ones.

Sure it'll mean you'll mine insanely fast if you ever get to top tier tools, but you can always just turn it down at that point. Equally if you hate the process of mining then leave it high and you can tear through blocks without the issues you have with the augur.

Yeah, everyone has different preferences for how to play games.  That is what makes this game great... Many options to choose from instead of only one.

And the "banger" for A21 is everything we saw in the dev stream. 😁

Other than a couple of things in there, it all looks amazing.

23 minutes ago, Roland said:

I agree but I also think that there are people, unlike us, who enjoy playing 7 Days to Die with less or no immersion.

I was immersed my first 7 days.  After almost 2000 hours, immersion isn't really a thing any more.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I agree but I also think that there are people, unlike us, who enjoy playing 7 Days to Die with less or no immersion.

That would be me.

By the way, the creative mode is still called "cheat mode" in the menu. Maybe it would by a good idea to rename it to "creative mode" or "sandbox mode".

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

After having watched the first dev stream, if there's any one thing I'm personally looking forward to the most (aka what I'd classify as a "banger"), it's definitely the trader stage + rebalancing.  It'll be super nice to not have to intentionally not use the traders and have them offer reasonable loot (IMO) for a change.  Traders have been stupid good for at least 2 alphas now.

To the offtopic:

I played Minecraft since the earliest stages when there wasnt even a downloadable client version. It was a browsergame at first. Since then i play survival games. I cant count the digital trees i chopped, it may be a million or more across all the games. Meanwhile i like to skip the tedious ressource gathering, at least skip the very early stages of ineffective gathering.

To the topic:

Whats the banger? I hope its the stabilty!