error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

POCKET951

I can't load into my friends 7D2D UL server, although I show up as a player on the server, I can't actually get into the game even though ingame time still progresses/moves forward as the game tried to load.

https://pastebin.com/a52DEUs6

these are the local output logs. going to try to obtain the server side logs from the host

at line 656 in the pastebin is the error:

1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  2. at GameManager.PlayerId (System.Int32 _playerId, System.Int32 _teamNumber, PlayerDataFile _playerDataFile, System.Int32 _chunkViewDim) [0x0005d] in <ffc99a688d2b435db53bb46aed82ca49>:0

I am assuming it is most likely a save corruption error, if that is the case what are the solutions?

also, would it be possible to make a copy of the server locally on my PC, delete my save and just Creative mode/cheat menu back everything I lost?

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

I am assuming it is most likely a save corruption error, if that is the case what are the solutions?

Your player profile needs to be deleted from the server. The server admin can do this. This will put you at

level 1, but an admin can restore your levels and lost inventory.

well that sucks. is this something that will always exist in the game or are there things that could be done from a development  standpoint to make stuff like this never happen?

Is this just kind of the nature of the beast when playing with mods?

Player profile corruption usually happens when you improperly disconnect from the server (or exit the game), such as from crashing or Alt-F4 or something other than using Exit.  If a file is being updated when this happens, it can be corrupted.  It isn't specific to using mods.

I feel like the game should use a backup file method for at least the player profile, since that isn't all that big to help reduce these issues.

If you regularly get these corrupted profiles on a specific server, you may have better luck using another server instead.

17 hours ago, Riamus said:

Player profile corruption usually happens when you improperly disconnect from the server (or exit the game), such as from crashing or Alt-F4 or something other than using Exit.  If a file is being updated when this happens, it can be corrupted.  It isn't specific to using mods.

I feel like the game should use a backup file method for at least the player profile, since that isn't all that big to help reduce these issues.

If you regularly get these corrupted profiles on a specific server, you may have better luck using another server instead.

I opened a container and the game crashed. couldn't get back in after this

5 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

I opened a container and the game crashed. couldn't get back in after this

Yeah, that can cause the corruption.  The profile would have to be deleted as was explained above and your items and level given back to you with admin.

• 2 weeks later...

well, my server admin is unable to do it themselves because they lack the space on there harddrive to relog in to UL ATM, and they lack the financial means to get a new one for awhile.

regardless, they sent me a copy of the server via FTP. I was able to get the local dedicated server running, but it had completely reset the world back to day1

5 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

well, my server admin is unable to do it themselves because they lack the space on there harddrive to relog in to UL ATM, and they lack the financial means to get a new one for awhile.

regardless, they sent me a copy of the server via FTP. I was able to get the local dedicated server running, but it had completely reset the world back to day1

They probably sent you the world, but not the save.  Probably not bad to start over so you avoid any other errors that may be related to the problem you had on that server in case anything else got corrupted beyond the player profile.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

They probably sent you the world, but not the save.  Probably not bad to start over so you avoid any other errors that may be related to the problem you had on that server in case anything else got corrupted beyond the player profile.

I just need to change the directory where the server config was grabbing the saves from, and am now getting the same errors on my local host dedi as the live server, so now it a matter of finding and deleting my character profile and seeing if it works!

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Warnings aren't normally anything to worry about.  It is normal to get warnings.  As long as you aren't seeing red error messages, it should be fine.

even though I deleted my profile/character data on the server, I still get this null reference error when trying to log in, and I get stuck in the exact same place as before

here is the dedicated server output logs: https://pastebin.com/3p9xkFH4

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

even though I deleted my profile/character data on the server, I still get this null reference error when trying to log in, and I get stuck in the exact same place as before

here is the dedicated server output logs: https://pastebin.com/3p9xkFH4

This shows successfully loading and exiting a local save with the Undead Legacy overhaul.

4 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

This shows successfully loading and exiting a local save with the Undead Legacy overhaul.

The thing is in 7 days, I'm stuck at the loading screen and don't actually get into the server. I've tried waiting over an hour and a day passes in game but I'm still staring at the load screen

Post your client log of the attempt when you waited one hour. We can then compare it with a successful login. The next line which we don't see is probably mentioning the program part that prevents you from login in

Also, if you make a new attempt, after you waited a while, press the return key. If I remember correctly this actually helped me login once. Though, was it just an coincidence? My guess was that there might be a condition where the program tries to read from the console.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

Post your client log of the attempt when you waited one hour. We can then compare it with a successful login. The next line which we don't see is probably mentioning the program part that prevents you from login in

Also, if you make a new attempt, after you waited a while, press the return key. If I remember correctly this actually helped me login once. Though, was it just an coincidence? My guess was that there might be a condition where the program tries to read from the console.

the client log from connecting to the dedicated server or the local host?

also ever since I have moved the server to local dedicated server I get the server logs but I am not sure where to find the client side logs anymore and have been unable to locate them

also...would anyone here happen to have UL installed? would like to see if you could connect to the server and play on it!

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

On 4/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, POCKET951 said:

the client log from connecting to the dedicated server or the local host?

I don't care as long as it is from a time where some malfunction occurs and it is all the logs there are. If you play locally and the malfunction actually occurs then there is only one logfile, if you login into a different machine (dedicated or not) there are two logfiles, server and client. We generally want to see the complete picture.

also ever since I have moved the server to local dedicated server I get the server logs but I am not sure where to find the client side logs anymore and have been unable to locate them

You can simply ask the launcher to show you the gamesave directory and there should be the logs as well in the newest versions of 7d2d. Or you could simply search your hard disk for any files called "output_log_*". Or start a game and then search for files with the current date in the name

also...would anyone here happen to have UL installed? would like to see if you could connect to the server and play on it!

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I don't care as long as it is from a time where some malfunction occurs and it is all the logs there are. If you play locally and the malfunction actually occurs then there is only one logfile, if a dedicated server is involved there are two logfiles, server and client. We generally want to see the complete picture.

You can simply ask the launcher to show you the gamesave directory and there should be the logs as well in the newest versions

I asked the launcher to take me to the directory, and the  client side logs are empty/nonexistent.

also. other players were able to connect to the dedicated UL server with no problems.

maybe I should do a clean install of the game and UL. but I can connect to other servers.

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)