Cloud VS Local

DarkWestern

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. 

Let my start off by apologizing for being so long to reply. Life got quite busy and I haven't even been on the game in a while. I have today off (unexpectedly) so I'm prioritizing this issue as to how I'll spend the day. Let me say thank you in advance for all your time and effort, it's hugely appreciated. 

I will get my coffee and then read through everything and see what I can do. I'm not the most literate or capable computer guy but I'll give any suggestions etc the best effort I can give. 

Ok, read through that and have been thinking.....I tried using Vortex for mods at one point and set a location, but that location does not include %appdata%. I dont know if that matters as far as the save game mystery but I'm bringing it up and including a screenshot as you guys are the experts here and I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. 

spacer.png

I will keep going with exploring as suggested and I'll apologize if I spam stuff on here, but as I said, I'm trying to be as thorough as possible by providing information :)

I did put "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/7DaysToDie_Data/" as Riamus suggested (without the quotation marks) in to the search bar and it didn't give me a location (I assume that was the intent) but instead gave me a pop up that said:

Start by opening Windows Explorer. Type the following into the address bar without the quotes then press enter: '%appdata%[&7DaysToDie&]' Select all files and folders in this location and delete them. Now navigate to your clients Worlds folder. default location is '[&Program&] Files (x86)[&Steam&][&SteamApps&][&Common&][&7&] Days to Die[&Data&]Worlds'

I'm not going to delete all folders in there as suggested...that doesn't seem right?

Edited by Corsin
redundancy (see edit history)

On 5/5/2023 at 5:54 AM, Beelzybub said:

It's here as I'd already mentioned: image.png.0b14b924b6cfee2fd0b14354cd2f7119.png

I go here and click LOCAL FILES then "Browse..." at the top I get:

spacer.png

when I double click Mods I get another Mods folder by itself. Then when I double click that, it's empty. I'm not seeing anywhere to go that I would be able to make any path changes. 

Edited by Corsin (see edit history)

On 4/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, Beelzybub said:

As of Alpha 20.4, logs are in the %appdata% folder.image.png.8bb37d092c620e408541293f399edc93.png

For a client. Dedi server are still in the 7DaysToDieSever_Data folder.

I looked at the most recent LogFile again. First time when I searched "INF Started thread SaveChunks" it came up with nothing found as I said in an earlier post.  This time it came up with only 1 result. So I'm confused why it didnt find anything the first time (obviously has to be I did something wrong) but now it's finding something as you see in the 2nd picture but it seems an odd string to my uneducated mind.  

The log is from May 6th obviuosly, but today being the 20th, seems I've played at least once in the past 2 weeks so now I'm wondering why there's no more recent logfile (if I did in fact play after the 6th). 

I'm really confused and I dont want to waste any more of your time trying to figure this out. Would an option be to completely uninstall the game as well as anything related to it, complete nuke it, then start over? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vortex does change your user data folder for saves and such but I don't use it so can't give you details.  Reinstalling probably will not remove your settings such as save locations, so probably won't help.  And I'm not sure clearing all files in the launcher will solve that either, though I haven't tried and may be wrong about that.  That last screenshot says your saves is in C:\Program\Saves\.  Check there and see what you find.  I know you said it had some saves and not others, but this is the folder the log you referenced is using, so it's where that save is located.  It looks like something tried to change the path and couldn't handle spaces in the path (i.e. Program Files) and so put it in C:\Program\ instead.  All in all, it seems like you have really confused directory structures for the game - Mods folder inside a Mods folder, saves in C:\Program\, etc.  I would recommend not using third party apps without knowing what they are going to change.  It seems like things got really mixed up and possibly from more than just Vortex.

Btw, you said you put the 7DaystoDie_Data path into the search and got nothing.  But it looks like the folder is there in your screenshot of the game folder that you posted after that.  It was probably a typo when you tried or you put it into the wrong location.  Go back to the game folder from your screenshot and you can open the data folder from there, though that isn't really necessary at this point unless you want to check that folder for any saves.

You may just want to press the Start menu and type drones.dat and see the list of locations where that file is located.  This should show all the saves you have, no matter where they are located on your computer.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)