Anyone else like to have a button like this...

Gamida

I know it is important for new players but I would love to have a button to mark all journals as read.

Having played the game so long now I never go in the journals (well not never but so rare it is close)

That little constantly blinking icon just drives me now. It is now frustrating to have to go in and click the full list to stop the blinking.

A read all button at top or even a option in menu to turn it off for us old timers would be really nice.

I think (and note the word think here as I haven't implemented it myself), but even if they were not to have said button, you should be able to mod it out.

For example, I am looking at meleeToolShovelT0 right now and there is an entry there:

<property name="PickupJournalEntry" value="miningTip"/>

My thought is that if you were to remove all of those from the xml files, it should get rid of most if not all of the journal tip popups.

Let me play around with something, and I might be able to create a modlet that would do it today.

I find it annoying, as I eventually go in there and just fast click them so they disappear.

Edit:  So it looks like it might be super easy to do this, but need to test it out.

The PickupJournalEntry property is only in two files, items and blocks.  So two xml files with just the following line in them should remove the instances where the tip is triggered.

<remove xpath="//property[@name='PickupJournalEntry']"/>

The code is ambiguous enough that it should work in both the items.xml file and blocks.xml file.

Correction to my edit:  Item_modifiers also has journal tips so 3 files would require it.  Helps to read my own notes after I scan for this property in all of the xml config files  🤷‍♂️

Edited by BFT2020
Added information (see edit history)

I've gotten to a point where my brain just ignores it completely for the vast majority of games.  But modding it out is certainly worth doing.  It would be reasonable to expect that TFP will eventually make an option to remove them for the advanced players.

So I forgot about it last night but hurriedly tried to mod something up this morning prior to leaving for work.  It works, kind of.  I didn't see the tip when I made a shovel or created a farm / planted a seed, but got the tip when I created a frame block.  Going to see if I missed any journal instances, but some might be hard coded into the game and would require c# coding which is beyond my skillset right now.  Might combine the earlier suggestion of removing the flashing pen with this to reduce the number of tips.

47 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

Over 5k hours and I have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever....

Have I really tuned out something that hard LOL!  There is a journal?

The pen icon when you open your backpack. You also get notifications about new journal entries being added when you start a new game, and when you place a new workstation.

I also never notice this.  I don't care if the pen icon is indicating something is there because I never look at it.  And the popups about the new journal entries go away quickly enough that I don't really notice them either.  I suppose a clear all button is good for anyone it bothers, but it really doesn't matter to me personally.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

I also never notice this.  I don't care if the pen icon is indicating something is there because I never look at it.  And the popups about the new journal entries go away quickly enough that I don't really notice them either.  I suppose a clear all button is good for anyone it bothers, but it really doesn't matter to me personally.

That is what we or at least I was getting at. I also don't even notice the popups anymore. It is more about the blinking pen whenever you open the menus.

I don't use the journals anymore and that blinking pen is just so distracting, to some of us at least.

Older player will understand. To us it is was sort of like watching TV and having your VCR clock constantly blink 12:00. It's not really hurting you but it just annoys the crap out of you.

And yes lol we would leave it like that forever instead of fixing it...mostly because we knew next time the power went out if would start all over again.

Lol.  I always set the clock on it, but that pen doesn't even stand out to me.  I use the buttons on the left, so never look at the right except if joining a party, which happens once a game at most.  I almost never use journal entries in games.  They are almost always such basic things that anyone who has played any game already knows.  Rarely will they include actually useful information and then I'll read them.

17 hours ago, Gamida said:

And yes lol we would leave it like that forever instead of fixing it...mostly because we knew next time the power went out if would start all over again.

More like other than inserting, ejecting, and pressing play nobody knew how to use their VCRs.

Oh yeah, and advancing frame by frame while paused... ;)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

More like other than inserting, ejecting, and pressing play nobody knew how to use their VCRs.

Oh yeah, and advancing frame by frame while paused... ;)

There is no VHS copy of Fast Times at Ridgemont High that isn't wear damaged during a certain Phoebe Cates scene.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, Gamida said:

That the power tended to go out within an hour or two of resetting it didn't help. I have a clock next to my bed I've still got flashing because it seems to have been a vcr clock in a previous existence. Nearly without fail I set the time on it and then the power cuts out soon after. Thankfully I only need it as a ambient noise generator so I have it turned away from the bed.

7 hours ago, hiemfire said:

That the power tended to go out within an hour or two of resetting it didn't help. I have a clock next to my bed I've still got flashing because it seems to have been a vcr clock in a previous existence. Nearly without fail I set the time on it and then the power cuts out soon after. Thankfully I only need it as a ambient noise generator so I have it turned away from the bed.

I have a clock like that. I have had it since I am pretty sure the early 90's and I still have it beside my bed. I did finally put a battery in it so when the power went (or even fluctuated) it wouldn't do the flashing 12:00.