Maps / Map Reveal

kennethklinewv

I like the idea of progression based on papers and not skill points.   It will transition progression to be more about research, strategically deciding to read / sell / buy papers then based on your progression desire.   

Under that though process; I would like to see find maps in loot (Thinking to expose sections of map (map reveal) in world).  Gas Stations / Bookstores could have a chance to find maps to aid in showing maybe areas along roadways or something to aid in early game and maybe selection base locations. 

To balance that, maybe instead of locations on map (for missions / treasure) make more difficult to find likely higher rewards for difficultly to find some locations. Maybe will show Point if you have area map revealed already or you are within range like that of trader (not until then) otherwise maybe some directions to send you in the general direction.

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Would this though be difficult to do in a game with random world generation or the ability for people to mod in custom POIs?  I know the Long Dark does this with notes and such, but the map for that game is static.

Surely, whenever you explore a section of the map, however it calculates that when you walk into it, it just needs to do that when you read the map segment?

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Would this though be difficult to do in a game with random world generation or the ability for people to mod in custom POIs?  I know the Long Dark does this with notes and such, but the map for that game is static.

Actually, I don't believe that is really an issue.  The maps just wouldn't be static, but instead would be dynamic based on where things were in the world.  Not really that difficult to accomplish, but the question is whether or not it's worth it.  We already have people who never explore.  Adding maps to reveal areas would just reduce exploring even more.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 3/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, Riamus said:

Actually, I don't believe that is really an issue.  The maps just wouldn't be static, but instead would be dynamic based on where things were in the world.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:13 PM, Dark_Shadow_231 said:

Surely, whenever you explore a section of the map, however it calculates that when you walk into it, it just needs to do that when you read the map segment?

Maps segments as loot, eh? That is an intriguing idea. I believe it is fairly simple as Riamus pointed out; All you need to do is have a random grid point on the main map chosen and then reveal that section as if you were the player standing there, as Dark_Shadow pointed out.

So for example, on the map you've explored a POI at 300 N, 150 W and found a supposed map loot item in a book shelf. You then "read" the map and suddenly a  50 m radius section is revealed on the main map at 400 S, 200 E. Am I understanding that right?

This would be a lot more useful in SP, but along those lines I've always wished that you could share map data with your allies in MP. Best you can do now is share map markers.

Edited by AH64_Jimbo (see edit history)

2 hours ago, AH64_Jimbo said:

Maps segments as loot, eh? That is an intriguing idea. I believe it is fairly simple as Riamus pointed out; All you need to do is have a random grid point on the main map chosen and then reveal that section as if you were the player standing there, as Dark_Shodow pointed out.

So for example, on the map you've explored a POI at 300 N, 150 W and found a supposed map loot item in a book shelf. You then "read" the map and suddenly a  50 m radius section is revealed on the main map at 400 S, 200 E. Am I understanding that right?

This would be a lot more useful in SP, but along those lines I've always wished that you could share map data with your allies in MP. Best you can do now is share map markers.

I use to like using the online server map that you could set up when you use allocs fixes. It would actually show the map and show all the areas that everyone who has played on the server explored as open spaces.

So there may be a way to share map data but I have no idea how they would do it or how difficult it would be to do in the game itself.

Just a quick random thought.

What if the map could be divided into 9 sectors (after being fully generated) then a player might be able to purchase one of the maps at the trader. 

Also, with players' progression more of the map might be revealed. 

I would love to have the possibility to have all the map areas revealed. But for a coin ofc or with progression at a given trader...