Things to keep the game fresh, making a home base in the wasteland

warmer

I decided do a challenge I keep seeing pop up.

Day 1 base build in the wasteland

WTF!? who is nuts enough to do that?

Well after 1000hrs in game you need a new challenge. What I found was it was actually quite easy once I had a sniping position. I had cranked up the spawns 3x of normal, run during the day. The hardest part was finding clay for a forge and wood for arrows/bolts.

Because the lootstage is so cranked up for wasteland I was finding bullets and pistol day 1. Day 2 I found a lvl 3 crossbow, from that point on it got really easy.

What gameplay/rules changes do you make to keep the game exciting?

52 minutes ago, warmer said:

What gameplay/rules changes do you make to keep the game exciting?

some of this is enforced by me the player, some by my mod

• Can't repair equipment (tools, weapons, armor) 
  • No mods on T0 items and T0 items limited to Quality level 2 max
  • Not turning shale into gas
  • No perk recipe unlocks
  • No glass jars
  • No quest rewards
  • No sustainable farming - only plant seeds I find or purchase from traders
  • No repairing of horde base during blood moon horde
  • No AFK base designs (it might be tough to get through my defenses, but the zombies can get through if they overwhelm me or I make a critical mistake)
  • Base and horde base the same
  • Quality 6 weapons only from traders
  • Permadeath vs only BM deaths count
  • Fetch quests are always clear quests - can't just grab the satchel and book it

Current playthrough I am on Day 98 so seriously thinking of restarting a new world, probably going with a mostly wasteland map and spawning in the wasteland area (and with Feral sense on).  I haven't been playing permadeath recently, but I am also testing out my mod and different aspects of it so don't want to restart an entire playthrough just because I made a mistake or something I thought would be interesting to add to it end up being a severe choke point for the player.

Permadeath, not using traders at all, no sneak kills and sometimes not only building in the wasteland, but having a wasteland only map. Edit: Also not using POI´s as a base at all.

Playing Darkness Falls with 300% XP is so far the most challenging. If you never played DF, it´s because you simply can´t keep up with your gamestage getting the really nasty enemies way too fast. Doesn´t matter that you have a ton of levels, you are simply too slow to take all the advantages that come with the levels. If you are really crazy add in 2x spawn. In MP we usually still play 75% XP so the gamestage doesn´t mess with us too much in early game.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 2/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, warmer said:

The hardest part was finding clay for a forge

Unless TFP, or a mod you've added in, changed the terrain layering there should be a good bit of clay soil sandwiched between the top layer (destroyed stone?) and the stone layer in the Wasteland biome.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, hiemfire said:

...there should be a good bit of clay soil sandwiched between the top layer (destroyed stone?) and the stone layer in the Wasteland biome.

ya that is where I got it, I just had the spawns cranked up so you couldn't, and I mean COULDN'T, spend any amount of time down a hole making noise without setting up some spikes or something because they would wander in from the noise within 30-45 seconds.

2 hours ago, warmer said:

ya that is where I got it, I just had the spawns cranked up so you couldn't, and I mean COULDN'T, spend any amount of time down a hole making noise without setting up some spikes or something because they would wander in from the noise within 30-45 seconds.

Another good source of clay are the farms in the outskirts of the city.