General blocking mechanic for melee

Pjazerlazer

I like this idea, only I doubt it would ever be incorporated into 7DTD, sadly (getting ever-so closer to gold). Maybe their next game? The question would be if it could be implemented by mod, and how one might trigger a block action. Some other games I've played assigns the right-click to block, but of course that is currently assigned as the power attack. I wonder how difficult it could be to change the power attack to a long-press left-click, and leaving a quick left-click as the normal attack. Someone with coding abilities far beyond my own would have to answer that.

7 hours ago, Pjazerlazer said:

Maybe L-stick + R-Trigger for strong attacks freeing up L- Trigger for a block/parry system

I've no idea about controllers, but with keyboard/mouse I'd rather not move strong attack from right-click as that's the most common attack used and left-click is also quite common for other interactions. Using CTRL is out because that's for stealth. Maybe ALT-Left-Click? If there were a block action I have no idea what key I would map to it.

I don't mind the idea of there being a block, but currently I don't really miss it. Once you are familiar with the zombie animations, the reach of your weapon, and fighting in retrograde (backing up) you can largely avoid getting hit.

It really isn't necessary in this game.  You are either attacking or not.  There is no reason to need to block.  It isn't like they have special attacks to try and block or anything like that.  Yeah, there are the ranged poison attacks, but those are not exactly difficult to avoid as it is.  Otherwise, all attacks are basically the same and rather than spending time blocking, you can just kill them.  Blocking is great in other games, but I really don't see value in this one.

I'd agree with zztong that I wouldn't mind it being there, but don't miss it (and probably would never use it if it was there).  As he said, once you know your weapon, you can avoid being hit pretty well.  And if you are swarmed, standing there trying to block isn't going to work well.

I could see the benefit of a blocking mechanic if the way a zed attacked a player was chaotic, as in The Forest for example, but currently the zed attack is linear and as noted above easy enough to avoid and kite them around. Then there's the question of does the blocking only work on one zed at a time, or if swarmed would it block all incoming attacks or just some? I'm not opposed to the idea, but would rather have it as a mechanic from the start. Trying to learn new key strokes for an already memorized game would no doubt induce a few rage moments. Hell, as it is my fingers start mashing any button it can during an attack whenever I panic..... 😒

Edited by Jinx_DG (see edit history)

• 9 months later...