Thoughts on the look of the grass

Go.0

Hi all,

I have been playing this game since 2014, creating a new save every 2-3 years. I love the way the game has evolved (certain aspects more than others).

As I was creating my new save, I could not stop thinking "but why do the devs keep using this fiber mechanic where you need to harvest grass ?".

I get the idea for a gameplay point of view but I feel like grass should not work this way as it makes for a very weird look of the terrains.

Using grass like every other open world (meaning grass that fill most of the space) would lead to so many improvements from every perspective :

- it would look a lot better

- it would save performance, and allow for a better control of the settings (instead of just view distance, you could tune the density for example)

- you could replace the mechanic of hitting grass by picking fibers from bushes just like in Rust or Ark, those bushes looking different different of their location (fern in dense forest, regular bush in plains...)

- you could create better biomes transitions thanks to this, with a minimal amount of work

- this would help with the way many terrains look to flat

4 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

Good points. Also if you didn't have to harvest grass, we wouldn't have the situation where whenever you dig in the ground your shovel keeps harvesting grass and requiring an extra swing to hit dirt.

I have modded out the very short grass that you hardly see in some games as I truly hate when that happens.  I hate hitting that tiny clump of grass when trying to dig for clay.

I agree with the OP 100 %

Have the grass redone with a density slider to improve performance for some players.

Utilise the cotton plant to craft the plant fibers, and then use cotton plant fibers on the workbench to produce cloth.   That way Grass is just a no clip scatter of ambient vegetation where when you use the shovel it's removed with the clay dirt is gathered ?

I believe this would be a huge improvement IMO.

Now hopefully a DEV reads this ?

Hmm.. it might require a bit of a POI rework to avoid some funky issues, having grass grow in recently dug ditches, breaking POI looks etc. But having a separate block type that will have a "grass shader" applied (kinda topsoil vs dirt split) would allow for some control over it. Repurposing the block IDs from grass blocks would allow for that to be added in any case.

It Does sound like a good idea for the most part, might come with some implementation issues of course.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:42 AM, ElDudorino said:

Good points. Also if you didn't have to harvest grass, we wouldn't have the situation where whenever you dig in the ground your shovel keeps harvesting grass and requiring an extra swing to hit dirt.

OM MY GOD, you feel my pain.

Or when targeting a zed on the ground and your power attacks hits the grass instead of his head.  🤬

40 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

OM MY GOD, you feel my pain.

Or when targeting a zed on the ground and your power attacks hits the grass instead of his head.  🤬

My favorite is when the grass is preventing you from getting onto your minibike - always seems to happen when you went to get away quickly