Better font for signs you craft

Riamus

I would really like to see a better font for the wood signs we craft.  The font we have now now looks so horribly out of place that I can't bring myself to ever use it.  If it looked like painted letters, it would really look good, imo.  And if you could select the color, that would be even better.

I know this is the same font as the storage boxes, but on them it looks okay as it isn't really meant to imitate someone writing on a box, but it's just there for OOC  reference. At least, that's how I see it.  But on a wooden sign, the current font just looks really out of place.

I can get on board for this kind of suggestion. More font choices would be nice. So +1 from me.

I assume this is a player-focused suggestion? Not wanting to co-opt the Dream, but there are other sign issues. When it comes to making POIs, there are some other sign issues, such as (1) the persistence of the words on the sign after the block conversion process used to move a POI to a new major version (like A19 to A20), or (2) it would be nice if we had something similar in appearance to "Pass-N-Gas" signs or any of the other game brand names. (Shamway, etc.)

12 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I don't know what you two are on about. I carry a stencil set and ink rollers everywhere I go for just such occasions...

Lol, don't remind me. I once wanted my own personal labels for boxes. I followed a modders tutorial on how to make something in Unity (never used it before this) and finally made a set of boxes.

This was back in A17. In A18 I upgraded them with a few more. From start to finish it took me forever :) I had got it about to where I wanted it and TFP's then added writable crates to the game making my mod obsolete.

Sort of a Win/Lose for me. I am fine now though as I am finally getting over the stress of it.

My crates.

hwg9Zrq.png

Oh the thing you reminded me of is my mod needed paper to make a stencil and dye (or paint, not sure now) to use to print it on crate. Maybe the paintbrush too? Sooooo long ago.

4 hours ago, zztong said:

I assume this is a player-focused suggestion? Not wanting to co-opt the Dream, but there are other sign issues. When it comes to making POIs, there are some other sign issues, such as (1) the persistence of the words on the sign after the block conversion process used to move a POI to a new major version (like A19 to A20), or (2) it would be nice if we had something similar in appearance to "Pass-N-Gas" signs or any of the other game brand names. (Shamway, etc.)

I was thinking about the signs you craft, but yes, in terms of POI design, we could use some better sign options as well.

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

Lol, don't remind me. I once wanted my own personal labels for boxes. I followed a modders tutorial on how to make something in Unity (never used it before this) and finally made a set of boxes.

This was back in A17. In A18 I upgraded them with a few more. From start to finish it took me forever :) I had got it about to where I wanted it and TFP's then added writable crates to the game making my mod obsolete.

Sort of a Win/Lose for me. I am fine now though as I am finally getting over the stress of it.

My crates.

hwg9Zrq.png

Oh the thing you reminded me of is my mod needed paper to make a stencil and dye (or paint, not sure now) to use to print it on crate. Maybe the paintbrush too? Sooooo long ago.

Nice font on those boxes.  Obsolete?  To hear people talk on these forums, everyone prefers playing A17 anyhow, so they should be happy to use your mod still.  😜

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Nice font on those boxes.  Obsolete?  To hear people talk on these forums, everyone prefers playing A17 anyhow, so they should be happy to use your mod still.  😜

I did start up A17 game recently as I had seen a streamer playing it.

As for players using my mod? Little confession. I had just made it for myself. I had never made a full mod before and was too scared to release it to the wild as I knew if there were any glitches I would probably not know how to fix them.

Plus like I said, right after writable crates were added to vanilla game so I didn't even keep it updated for myself.

31 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I did start up A17 game recently as I had seen a streamer playing it.

As for players using my mod? Little confession. I had just made it for myself. I had never made a full mod before and was too scared to release it to the wild as I knew if there were any glitches I would probably not know how to fix them.

Plus like I said, right after writable crates were added to vanilla game so I didn't even keep it updated for myself.

Understandable.  I usually start making changes for myself and only if I think others will find them useful and I've had time to test things that I don't think there are bugs will I consider releasing for others.  I haven't done any changes to this game, though.

I've long been curious how the fonts are implemented. In particular, if they're a significant contribution to texture memory. Hopefully not. I think just a few additional font choices, like one for road signs in particular, could really enrich the world.

1400x-1.jpg

Remember how the towns are already given names when you generate a random world? Imagine if the names & distances on these signs were filled in automatically.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

I've long been curious how the fonts are implemented. In particular, if they're a significant contribution to texture memory. Hopefully not. I think just a few additional font choices, like one for road signs in particular, could really enrich the world.

Hide contents

1400x-1.jpg

Remember how the towns are already given names when you generate a random world? Imagine if the names & distances on these signs were filled in automatically.

Ive seen a few mods with custom fonts for "writing in things". Maybe the mod contents or the author could give some insight?

Heres one of them: