I have never put a point in sexy T.

ElCabong

The only time I miss it is when I'm harvesting on day one and I don't have any coffee. Drink some coffee and mine, chop down trees, dig... my stamina holds up.

I fill them with arrows and finish them off with the club. That works.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sexy t rex becomes orders of magnitude more important when playing with zombie speeds higher than default, on higher difficulty settings. It basically becomes mandatory if you don't wanna have a bad time on insane nightmare.
I've been playing a perception only playthrough on insane recently and honestly haven't felt too much like I've needed it. Or flurry of blows.

It simply means you have to kite enemies a little bit more.

Edited by Gronal (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Gronal said:

Sexy t rex becomes orders of magnitude more important when playing with zombie speeds higher than default, on higher difficulty settings. It basically becomes mandatory if you don't wanna have a bad time on insane nightmare.
I've been playing a perception only playthrough on insane recently and honestly haven't felt too much like I've needed it. Or flurry of blows.

It simply means you have to kite enemies a little bit more.

Okay, I failed to take an account game play settings. I see what you mean.

i used to always throw my first point into it, but now its easier and my points go where i need them based on which weapon i want to sport at the time. now in a21, each perk has it built into it so for those who want to try to spec entirely in one attribute to test it can without having to put a point into a different attribute as well. :)

On 1/8/2023 at 1:36 PM, unholyjoe said:

i used to always throw my first point into it, but now its easier and my points go where i need them based on which weapon i want to sport at the time. now in a21, each perk has it built into it so for those who want to try to spec entirely in one attribute to test it can without having to put a point into a different attribute as well. :)

This... is good to know.

I used to be very bow centric build, but I started using clubs as backup and power hits just drain you so fast. The benefits is an immediate 1 or 2 more power attacks per stamina bar fill up. That is significant when you are getting swarmed.

I usually only put 1 point in, that is enough to make a difference, but now that we are losing Sexy T in the update none of that really matters.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:36 PM, unholyjoe said:

Unless, you know, you want to build (which is >75% of the point of the game, to me), in which case it's straight into strength again.

I'll admit that I'm an oddity who tries to have 30k cobblestone ready to go by Day 6 (since I tend to spend Day 6 and 7 building a starter base), but it still frustrates me that when people talk about this, all they talk about is weapons and kind of ignore the gathering/building folks.

Tell me you play on a easy difficulty without saying you play on a easy difficulty. 😛 Also steel tools are a pain without sexy rexy. 

@Vaeliorin That´s a good point. They did all the work to revamp the skill system so strength isn´t a must anymore, but in SP it still is, unless you want to spend a lot more time mining than necessary.

21 hours ago, warmer said:

I usually only put 1 point in, that is enough to make a difference, but now that we are losing Sexy T in the update none of that really matters.

sexy t is not removed, but it is incorporated into most other attribs.

i am more then sure a lot of players are going to welcome the change. of course we cant please everyone tho. :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

Because I almost always use spears until I have a pistol and plenty of ammo (I refuse to use pipe-anything), I really don't have a problem with stamina unless I've just finished sprinting right before attacking.  Since spears didn't have a real power attack, I never used power attacks, so never "wasted" stamina with them and stone spears take little stamina.  Once I start leveling up, I eventually upgrade to iron or steel and by then stamina regens quickly enough without sex rex perk.  I'll often still get it so I don't have stamina issues with tools, though.  But for melee, it really wasn't a primary concern for me.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

I really don't have a problem with stamina unless I've just finished sprinting right before attacking.

That is a thing I can't understand why people wont learn. Mainly some of the 'tubers I watch, but seems like a common problem..

Scenario: You're going somewhere. The trip is likely to end up in a fight. Either during the travel or at the destination. Actual travel or just running back and forth in POI:

1) Sprint til out of stamina => sprint in bursts to keep stamina under 25% => show up to the fight with <25% sta => "wait for stamina" while getting beat on.

is exactly as fast as:

2) Sprint til at 75% stamina, walk til full => repeat between 75 and 100 => show up for the fight with >75% sta => get to fighting.

As you need the stamina for the fight, the options are Exactly equally fast, but with 2) you just won't get beat on while you wait for stamina in the fight.

And while I'm complaining.. if you haven't figured out a real reason to press the power attack button, don't. (There are reasons, they're just .. rare) Watching tubers go left click - right click completely randomly, keeping their regen mostly off with rare and pointless power attacks, and wondering why they're constantly out of stamina... it's turning into a pet peeve of mine.. :)

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

That is a thing I can't understand why people wont learn. Mainly some of the 'tubers I watch, but seems like a common problem..

Scenario: You're going somewhere. The trip is likely to end up in a fight. Either during the travel or at the destination. Actual travel or just running back and forth in POI:

1) Sprint til out of stamina => sprint in bursts to keep stamina under 25% => show up to the fight with <25% sta => "wait for stamina" while getting beat on.

is exactly as fast as:

2) Sprint til at 75% stamina, walk til full => repeat between 75 and 100 => show up for the fight with >75% sta => get to fighting.

As you need the stamina for the fight, the options are Exactly equally fast, but with 2) you just won't get beat on while you wait for stamina in the fight.

And while I'm complaining.. if you haven't figured out a real reason to press the power attack button, don't. (There are reasons, they're just .. rare) Watching tubers go left click - right click completely randomly, keeping their regen mostly off with rare and pointless power attacks, and wondering why they're constantly out of stamina... it's turning into a pet peeve of mine.. :)

I do know that. I didn't say it was common for me.  I rarely have that problem because I understand it. I was pointing out that except if that happens, stamina isn't as problem.  And I also understand about power attacks. My point there was that with a spear, I never have a reason to use them because I hate going after a thrown spear.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I do know that. I didn't say it was common for me.

Hah, yeh, sorry - I ended up ranting about other people, those damn youtubers. It wasn't directed at you, but I did wonder if I should've emphasized that a little more.. that "you-passive" didn't help matters.

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

"but it does more damage" my response... "yeah and at a cost". :)

Yeh, it's not a bad system, it has its upsides with edge cases (like how the situation changes when low on regen). But it is quite hard to learn. Some kind of highlight for the "you're not regenerating right now" might help, but that would likely be "too flashy" once you've gotten the message.

13 hours ago, theFlu said:

Yeh, it's not a bad system, it has its upsides with edge cases (like how the situation changes when low on regen). But it is quite hard to learn. Some kind of highlight for the "you're not regenerating right now" might help, but that would likely be "too flashy" once you've gotten the message.

Meh, not really.  It is useful almost all the time, you just need to know how many hits each of larger zeds take and use it when you need the proc (such as knockdown with sledges) or when it will save you a swing.  Most of the time I know if I need to hit the zed 2 more times or if 1 power swing will take care of it and the power swing is almost always useful in that situation. 

Hmm. Spinned up my test world to check a few of those ideas, or maybe I just felt like batting a few Arlenes again. Here's a data blurb:

Spoiler

A20.6 b9

My test world character, 143 max sta, no relevant skills.

Baseball bat, Quality 6

Normal attack:
21 sta
Body: 25 damage
Head: 50 damage

Damage per sta: 1.19

Swings until empty: 15/16 (tiny pause before the 16th swing)
Damage until empty: 25 * 16 = 400

Swing speed: 8 swings over 10 seconds
DPS: 8 * 25 / 10 = 20

Time until empty: 20 seconds

Power attack
36 sta + 3 secs of regen (eyeballed with a clock)
= 66 sta total?
Body: 42 damage
Head: 84 damage

Damage per sta: 1.16
Damage per sta including lost regen: 0.636

Swings until empty: 4 (happened to go pretty exactly empty)
Damage until empty: 4 * 42 = 168

Swing speed (God mode): 8 swings over 10 seconds
DPS: 8 * 42 / 10 = 33.6

Time until empty: 5 seconds

Feral Arlene HP variance: 192 - 272

Summary: You can increase your DPS by about 60% at the cost of tripling your stamina use (worst case).

Not counting the regen loss, damage per sta is the same, so at best case you can think of it as a 60% DPS increase with no drawbacks. But you do need to figure out when you can afford it. At the end of each fight, sure, but that's not really an issue either way.

4 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

you just need to know how many hits each of larger zeds take

There's pretty significant variance to zed health now, I ran into Feral Arlenes with 80 points of difference between them. Swapping one headshot from Normal to Power would give a 34 point difference in my test, skills would roughly double the difference - that would still be within the variation for one of the weaker ferals. My point? You cannot actually know how many it'll take or if it'll make a difference.

4 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

use it when you need the proc (such as knockdown with sledges)

Yeh, that's where we agree, some procs are well worth the cost. Unless you need the sta of course.. :)

4 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

when it will save you a swing.  Most of the time I know if I need to hit the zed 2 more times or if 1 power swing will take care of it and the power swing is almost always useful in that situation. 

The rest goes back into the first point, HP variance. You can't really know if it'll make a difference. But you can know if you can afford the stamina to try, so, when you can afford it, it's not a bad move.

There's also a confirmation bias sort of thing going on: Finishing something off with a power attack will always feel great. Even when the zed had 1 HP left when you swung it - and you won't ever know. :)

Sexy T. is always one of the first perks I ramp up as fast as I can.  It is tied to so many things; mining, running, harvesting, combat.  Have you ever been in a slug fest with a gaggle of Zs only to die because you ran out of stamina?  I don't know how you can go through a game without it but if you figured out how more power to you!

2 hours ago, zombiehunter said:

Sexy T. is always one of the first perks I ramp up as fast as I can.  It is tied to so many things; mining, running, harvesting, combat.  Have you ever been in a slug fest with a gaggle of Zs only to die because you ran out of stamina?  I don't know how you can go through a game without it but if you figured out how more power to you!

Only quibble i have is that it doesn't directly effect your ability to run.  Just use tools and weapons.  Having that extra stamina available from those activities effects your ability to run.  So it is more of an side effect, rather than a direct effect.( i'm sure that is what you meant anyways, but just being nit-picky)

On 1/17/2023 at 3:36 AM, Ripflex said:

Try killing a dozen rushing zombies with a sledgehammer and heavy armor on 0 ranks of Sexy T and come back to me ?  :)

If I were to spec a melee character, it would be the first thing I would pick too. But I shoot you in the back with an arrow and laugh over your corpse.

4 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

Only quibble i have is that it doesn't directly effect your ability to run.  Just use tools and weapons.  Having that extra stamina available from those activities effects your ability to run.  So it is more of an side effect, rather than a direct effect.( i'm sure that is what you meant anyways, but just being nit-picky)

Yep, that is true.  What I meant was how long you can run, not really the ability to run.  Cheers.