Complete And Utter Noob Seeking Enlightenment(IE I have never messed with mods outside of Steam Workshop before)

Hello! At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I do not know what I'm doing whatsoever. I wanted to get the mod here up and running for play, but I don't know how to integrate it into my files https://7daystodiemods.com/npcs-mod/ . The furthest I've made it is taking each folder right about the ModInfo.xml file and moving them into my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods folder. I got back a bunch of red lines that mentioned something about an unknown. I think it's about a file path, but Idk. In trying to use DMT, I can't for the life of me get it to see the ModInfo.xml files. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but "We've also removed the requirement for the mod.xml. Now both vanilla and DMT uses the ModInfo.xml file. Again, there is an auto-update function built in that should server most cases. Once the update is done you should delete the mod.xml file to remove any warnings that are generated in DMT." Makes me think the part necessary for DMT to do it's think is the modinfo file, yes? I just want to add NPCs into the game to up the excitement for a couple friends and myself. If anyone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I will worship the ground you walk on.

You don't need DMT to use those mods in a20. 

To run NPCmod you also need the latest version of SCore as well. If you find the NPCmod thread here it will have all the links needed. 

They are just drag and drop into your Mods folder. If playing with friends make sure everyone downloads the mods as well. 

Edited by bdubyah (see edit history)

3 hours ago, bdubyah said:

You don't need DMT to use those mods in a20. 

To run NPCmod you also need the latest version of SCore as well. If you find the NPCmod thread here it will have all the links needed. 

They are just drag and drop into your Mods folder. If playing with friends make sure everyone downloads the mods as well. 

Ok, it's good to know I don't necessarily need DMT. If by SCore you mean spherellcore, I already downloaded that. I think all the mods I downloaded are a19. The red lines of code or whatever that show up say EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I'll look for the NPCmod thread on here and see about downloading those specific mods.

7 minutes ago, Anime Jesus said:

Ok, it's good to know I don't necessarily need DMT. If by SCore you mean spherellcore, I already downloaded that. I think all the mods I downloaded are a19. The red lines of code or whatever that show up say EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I'll look for the NPCmod thread on here and see about downloading those specific mods.

Update: I found the thread on here and downloaded what it said to. There are definitely more files for each than there were for the others I had downloaded, but I'm still getting the same error. Aside from creating a mods folder in the 7D2D folder, is there any other bits of prep work I need to do?

17 minutes ago, Anime Jesus said:

Update: I found the thread on here and downloaded what it said to. There are definitely more files for each than there were for the others I had downloaded, but I'm still getting the same error. Aside from creating a mods folder in the 7D2D folder, is there any other bits of prep work I need to do?

No, that's it. If you can post a pastebin link to your output log that would help narrow it down. Also make sure that you don't have any extra folder layers when installing the mods. Git and other places like to add a root folder that you don't need. Make sure if you go into your Mods folder and open any of the folders there you immediately see a modinfo.xml. If you just have another folder you need to fix that.

23 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Please use "Discussions and Requests" for questions, the "Mods" section should only be used to announce mods and talks to mod authors directly.

I do apologize. I read the rules for this section. The language of the rules confused me.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

I agree with you, I also don't like that text and had actually complained about it some time ago, without result.

As things go in most cases, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, bdubyah said:

No, that's it. If you can post a pastebin link to your output log that would help narrow it down. Also make sure that you don't have any extra folder layers when installing the mods. Git and other places like to add a root folder that you don't need. Make sure if you go into your Mods folder and open any of the folders there you immediately see a modinfo.xml. If you just have another folder you need to fix that.

The modinfo.xml file is in the immediate folder for both mod folders. Does any other folder beneath that matter as long as that is there? Also I have yet find an output log. When exactly would that be created and where? I haven't even gotten to the world creation part because I haven't waited longer than a few minutes for the game to finally reach the main menu, there are so many EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object error lines.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:48 PM, Anime Jesus said:

Hello! At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I do not know what I'm doing whatsoever. I wanted to get the mod here up and running for play, but I don't know how to integrate it into my files https://7daystodiemods.com/npcs-mod/ . The furthest I've made it is taking each folder right about the ModInfo.xml file and moving them into my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods folder. I got back a bunch of red lines that mentioned something about an unknown. I think it's about a file path, but Idk. In trying to use DMT, I can't for the life of me get it to see the ModInfo.xml files. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but "We've also removed the requirement for the mod.xml. Now both vanilla and DMT uses the ModInfo.xml file. Again, there is an auto-update function built in that should server most cases. Once the update is done you should delete the mod.xml file to remove any warnings that are generated in DMT." Makes me think the part necessary for DMT to do it's think is the modinfo file, yes? I just want to add NPCs into the game to up the excitement for a couple friends and myself. If anyone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I will worship the ground you walk on.

So, one thing you definitely need to know: the vast majority of mods will only work with the same alpha version of the vanilla ("official" or "base") game.

The link you posted was to the A19 ("Alpha 19") version of the NPC packs. Those do not work with Alpha 20.

The A20 version of the NPC Mod is here. Note that there are several differences: There are no "DMT and non-DMT" versions, and you have to get different NPC Packs to get the characters you want (which IMHO is better).

Alpha 20 included native support for Harmony patching, and that eliminated the need for the DMT tool. So long as mod authors know what they are doing (and both SphereII and Xyth definitely know what they are doing) then you can install mods with C# code the same as any other mod. You shouldn't need the DMT tool at all with any A20 mods.

In previous alphas, the mod directory was a "Mods" subdirectory in the game's Steam folder. But now that The Fun Pimps are trying to develop for consoles and cross-play, that won't work in Alpha 21 (due to Microsoft's rules - they don't allow any kind of modifications inside the Program Files directories). The new location for mods is "%appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods" on Windows - might as well start using it now.

When you install mods, make sure each mod is in a subdirectory of the "Mods" folder, and that the "ModInfo.xml" file is in the top level of that subdirectory. Some repositories or file downloaders wrap them in an additional folder, and if that happens, the game won't recognize them. You can often tell which is the correct subdirectory, because it must match the "Name" tag in "ModInfo.xml" exactly.

Finally, if this is all a bit too complex, then there is a tool called the Mod Launcher which I highly recommend. I have used it since Alpha 16 and I think it's great. I am using version 3 and it works well for me.

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

9 hours ago, khzmusik said:

So, one thing you definitely need to know: the vast majority of mods will only work with the same alpha version of the vanilla ("official" or "base") game.

The link you posted was to the A19 ("Alpha 19") version of the NPC packs. Those do not work with Alpha 20.

The A20 version of the NPC Mod is here. Note that there are several differences: There are no "DMT and non-DMT" versions, and you have to get different NPC Packs to get the characters you want (which IMHO is better).

Alpha 20 included native support for Harmony patching, and that eliminated the need for the DMT tool. So long as mod authors know what they are doing (and both SphereII and Xyth definitely know what they are doing) then you can install mods with C# code the same as any other mod. You shouldn't need the DMT tool at all with any A20 mods.

In previous alphas, the mod directory was a "Mods" subdirectory in the game's Steam folder. But now that The Fun Pimps are trying to develop for consoles and cross-play, that won't work in Alpha 21 (due to Microsoft's rules - they don't allow any kind of modifications inside the Program Files directories). The new location for mods is "%appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods" on Windows - might as well start using it now.

When you install mods, make sure each mod is in a subdirectory of the "Mods" folder, and that the "ModInfo.xml" file is in the top level of that subdirectory. Some repositories or file downloaders wrap them in an additional folder, and if that happens, the game won't recognize them. You can often tell which is the correct subdirectory, because it must match the "Name" tag in "ModInfo.xml" exactly.

Finally, if this is all a bit too complex, then there is a tool called the Mod Launcher which I highly recommend. I have used it since Alpha 16 and I think it's great. I am using version 3 and it works well for me.

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

Thoroughness of your help is very much appreciated! I'll save that file location for when A21 drops. I think I discovered my problem though. I underestimated the necessity for verifying file integrity. I've always seen that as a "have issue, do thing" and so I didn't do that right away. I especially didn't think it was necessary when I explicitly uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Now, I haven't run across any NPCs yet(I only played through day 2. Either it was some new revamped zombie behavior or just a difference between console and PC, but this was the first time I've played it on PC, and I was completely unprepared for the ambush I fell into in a store, so I was like I need a break after getting this mod to ?work?), but I didn't get any red code this time either.