enTowerDefense - Horde Mini Game

ErrorNull

ErrorNull's Tower Defense: This is a server-side mod that has players battle an endless horde of zombies within an enclosed arena. Gameplay is focused on fast-paced action. There is no crafting or repairing, and building only consists of the basic cube blocks of wood, cobble, concrete, and steel. Zombie kills give you coins, and all items are obtained from vending machines. If your health drops too low, you are knocked out and a teammate must heal you. You become a spectator if you die and unable to inflict damage - zombies mostly ignore you and cannot cause damage to you either. When all players die, the session is over, and a new game must be started to play again.

There are a total of 20 horde stages. The goal is to reach stage 20 and last as long as possible... OR achieve the highest number of zombie kills (green HUD icon) or highest score (yellow HUD icon). Post a video of your best SCORE to show off your skills. You'll be added to my leaderboard of top 10 craziest zombie rambos.

towerdefense03a.jpg

🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️🏆🏆 LEADERBOARD 🏆🏆🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️

The leaderboard only applies to your total score. This is tracked by the yellow trophy HUD icon. I will use the score that you achieved right before you died and unable to resurrect yourself. If in the amazing chance you make it to horde stage 20 and somehow continue to survive forever, I will use the score you achieved at 12AM of Day 4 in game time as the cutoff point. Let's please keep it honest, fair, and fun for everyone. RULES: You must configure the game options/properties according to the Requirements section (section below). Video record your playthrough. You can use OBS Studio and upload to Youtube or Twitch, or send me the video file via Google drive or any other file sharing site, or stream directly on Twitch or Youtube. Share the unedited video link here. I'll review it and if all looks good, I will take a screenshot with your high score, and post the screenshot and your video links on the leaderboard for everyone to be impressed with. 😎

SINGLE PLAYER

Spoiler

Rank #1 - Score 3,126 - Jan 1 2023

cs021-avatar.png

Cs021

view CS's gameplay video (youtube)

screenshot.png

Rank #2 - Score 1,119 - Dec 30 2022

doughphunghus-avatar.png

doughphunghus

view doughphunghus' gameplay video (twitch)

doughphunghus-08.png

Rank #3 - unclaimed

Rank #4 - unclaimed

Rank #5 - unclaimed

Rank #6 - unclaimed

Rank #7 - unclaimed

Rank #8 - unclaimed

Rank #9 - unclaimed

Rank #10 - unclaimed

MULTI-PLAYER

Spoiler

Rank #1 - Team Average Score 2,979 - Jan 3 2023

cs021-avatar.png

Cs021

errornull-Pic.png

ErrorNull

view ErrorNull's gameplay video (youtube)

teamscrean3.jpg

Rank #2 - unclaimed

Rank #3 - unclaimed

Rank #4 - unclaimed

Rank #5 - unclaimed

Rank #6 - unclaimed

Rank #7 - unclaimed

Rank #8 - unclaimed

Rank #9 - unclaimed

Rank #10 - unclaimed

DOWNLOAD

Version 1.3 (updated 12/25/2022) - 👉 Download from GitHub 👈

Do not use any other mods with enTowerDefense. Mods that only tweak the on-screen HUD should be fine. Using any mods that modify items, zombies, player behavior, or anything else can cause unexpected behavior or errors. A custom map and prefabs are required for play. See below "Requirements".

REQUIREMENTS

• Download the custom map and prefabs from this GitHub page
  • The file should contain two folders "enTowerDefenseMap" and "enTowerDefensePrefabs".
  • For single player game or hosting a multiplayer game from the same computer you will play on:
    Spoiler
    • Copy the entire enTowerDefenseMap folder into your "GeneratedWorlds" folder.
    • Open the enTowerDefensePrefabs folder (that you had downloaded) and copy all the individual prefab files into your "LocalPrefabs" folder.
    • If you don't have a LocalPrefabs folder, then create it.
    • Screenshot below shows where the GeneratedWorlds and LocalPrefabs folder should be located on your computer.
      td-folders.png

• To participate on the leaderboards, please configure the game in the following way to ensure everyone receives the same level of challenge during each play attempt.
      • Modify these options from the start up game menus
        • Use the default game time, 1 hour of real time = 24 hours of game time.
        • Use the default Drop on Death option, set to "Everything"
        • Use the default game difficulty, set to "Adventurer".
        • Turn off player killing / pvp damage
        • Turn off air drops.
      • Go into the enTowerDefense mod folder and open gameevents.xml in a text editor and go to the section for "enAction_GiveCoins" (line 400).
      • Find the property called "added_item_counts". It is currently set to 40 which is intended for single player only. If you will be hosting a multiplayer game from your same computer, set this value in the following way:
        • 1 player = 40
        • 2 players = 20
        • 3 players = 13
        • 4 players = 10
        • 5 players = 8
        • 6 players = 7
        • 7 players = 6
        • 8 players = 5

• Why do this? The 7 Days to Die engine automatically multiplies this coin reward if additional players join your local game. This behavior does not seem to have a way to disable. Setting this value lower for local multiplayer counteracts this behavior and maintains a consistent coin reward. If this value is not modified lower for additional players, everyone will gain more coins than designed, and disrupt the overall challenge.

• For multiplayer on a dedicated server:
    Spoiler
    • Copy the entire enTowerDefenseMap folder into your "Worlds" folder. The Worlds folder should be inside the Data folder on your server.
    • Open the enTowerDefensePrefabs folder and copy all the individual prefab files into your "POIs" folder. The POIs folder should be located inside the DATA > Prefabs folder.
    • Screenshots below shows where the target folders should be on your server.
      server-map-Setup.png
      server-prefab-Setup.png

• To participate on the leaderboards, please configure the server in the following way to ensure everyone receives the same level of challenge during each play attempt.
      • Modify the following properties within the serverconfig.xml file:
        • <property name="GameDifficulty" value="1"/>
        • <property name="AirDropFrequency" value="0"/>
        • <property name="PlayerKillingMode" value="0" />
        • Leave all other properties as default
      • Go into the enTowerDefense mod folder and open gameevents.xml in a text editor and go to the section for "enAction_GiveCoins" (line 400).
      • Find the property called "added_item_counts". It is currently set to 40 which is not intended for dedicated servers. Instead, set the value in the following way:
        • 1 player = 20
        • 2 players = 13
        • 3 players = 10
        • 4 players = 8
        • 5 players = 7
        • 6 players = 6
        • 7 players = 5
        • 8 players = 4

• Why do this? The 7 Days to Die engine automatically multiplies this coin reward on a dedicated server and the factor increases with more players. This behavior does not seem to have a way to disable. Setting this value lower for multiplayer counteracts this behavior and maintains a consistent coin reward. If this value is not modified lower for multiplayer, each player will gain more coins than designed, and disrupt the overall challenge.

HOW TO PLAY

Kill zombies for 20 stages while buying necessary items from vending machines. Last as long as you can, or try for the highest score or most zombie kills!

Spoiler
  • The first player spawns into the battle arena and next to a basic tower frame structure.
  • The game time is set a few minutes before 7:00 AM on Day 1 and the game screen is in grayscale, because the battle has not begun.
  • A weapons bag and loot crate will spawn that contains useful items, which include a stack of wood blocks, a stack of vending machines, and a red pill.
  • Build a defensive area with your wood blocks and place the vending machines in strategic areas for easy access. Note that the vending machines, tower frame and arena floor and walls are are indestructible.
  • For multiplayer, all players must be spawned into the map during this pre-battle period. Each player will receive their own weapons bag and loot crate.
  • Important! Party up. Invite everyone to the same party. Players not joined to the party may have reduced coin rewards.
  • When ready for battle, eat the red pill and the screen will restore to full color. For multiplayer, the battle will begin only after all players have consumed their red pills. Once this happens, an alarm will sound indicating the start of the first wave of zombies!
  • There are a total of 20 horde stages. Each stage lasts 3 hrs of game time, where 2.5 hrs of which zombies constantly spawn, and the final 30 min the spawning stops, and reward loot bags appear for player pick-up. Players can take this opportunity to repair or reinforce their defensive structure and use the vending machines.
  • While progressing through each horde stage, tougher zombies will spawn. Upon reaching horde stage 20, zombie spawning will never end, no more reward loot bags will drop, and the goal is to survive for as many hours as possible beyond that point, or get the highest score or number of zombie kills.
  • Players start with 150 HP. If it drops below 50 HP, you get "knocked out", cannot move or inflict damage, and slowly bleed out. A teammate must heal you. Once your HP rises above 50, normal movement and attack ability is restored. If you die, you become a spectator and lose all of your items.
  • As a spectator you cannot inflict damage nor receive damage, and zombies mostly ignore you. You are free to roam the arena with heightened movement speed and jumping ability.
  • When all players become spectators, game progression is no longer possible. Players can either give up and restart the game, or simply goof around the map as spectators for as long as desired.
  • Note that for 25000 coins, a "resurrection shot" can be purchased from the vending machine which can revive spectators.

TIPS & TRICKS

Spoiler
  • Set the Brightness in the Video Settings to 100% to help lighten up the night
  • Once your wooden club and bat breaks, scrap the bat for wood and you can repair the wooden club for another use!
  • Vending machines are also useful as indestructible walls.
  • The arena walls can also be a useful defensive structure. Just don't fall off the other side!
  • If you don't find the top tier weapon or armor you want in one vending machine, check all the others.
  • "Pre-heal" yourself with medical bandages or medical kits if you expect to be knocked out soon. The slow healing effect stays active even when you're knocked out, and it can bring you back above 50 HP without the help of a teammate.
  • Pipe bombs are a great way to get a large amount of coins if you can get a crowd of zombies in one spot.
  • Before you die and lose all your items and equipment, try to drop them all to the ground for another player (or even a spectator) to help pick up. Then once you are resurrected, you still have all your stuff.
  • Alternatively, buy a storage box and load it up with backup items in case you die, like extra coins, gear, and most importantly a resurrection shot.

GAMEPLAY TWEAKS

These are the tweaks to the vanilla game as well as new mechanics that were added for this mini-game.

Spoiler
  • the battle arena is 200 x 200 meter square area bounded by high walls on all sides made of indestructible concrete
  • in the center of the arena is an indestructible tower frame that players can use to create a defensive structure
  • the arena is set inside the forest biome, but most vegetation is removed
  • stepping on the dirt ground that is beyond the arena walls causes instant death to both players and zombies
  • there are no resources to harvest or mine within the arena, and therefor crafting items isn't possible
  • players automatically receive coins for killing zombies which scales with zombie difficulty
  • items and equipment must be purchased from vending machines or obtained from the reward loot bags
  • vending machines offer a reduced stock of items specific to the tower defense style of play
  • prices of most items are increased substantially in order to counterbalance the coin rewards
  • removed flame and electricity particle effects to help reduce lag
  • created several custom consumables "shots" that grant players temporary boosts (like speed, stamina, melee damage, etc)
  • created custom pipe bombs that causes zombies to dance like it's saturday night
  • disabled burning and bleeding of zombies to counteract inability to get coins for bleeding or burning deaths
  • player starts with 150 HP and is "knocked out" if HP drops below 50
  • the KO'd player cannot move or attack, their health slowly drains, and teammate much heal the KO'd player
  • when  KO'd player's HP rises above 50 again, their movement and attack ability restores to normal
  • if KO'd player's HP drops to zero, the player dies, looses all their items and equipment, and becomes a "spectator"
  • spectators are invincible, cannot be sensed by zombies (mostly), and cannot cause any damage, but has heightened speed and jump ability
  • spectators cannot be healed with med kits or bandages, and can only rejoin the battle with a "resurrection shot",  purchasable from vending machines
  • added new "stealth" armor set and clothing set for players who want to play with stamina boosts, low detection, but also low armor defense
  • added new top tier melee weapon (Bone Basher and Meat Cleaver) for players who prefer melee combat and play with stealth build
  • to maintain fast gameplay, hunger and thirst mechanism is disabled, and players are immune to injury buffs like sprains, broken bones, and infection
  • added 7 zombie bosses that spawn in starting from horde stage 10, and are heavily inspired by Snufkin server side zombies (Snufkin mod page here)
  • added on-screen HUD icons that track player's zombie kills (green zombie head), player's score (yellow trophy), and the current horde stage (light blue flag)
  • each zombie kill automatically gives player points which scales with zombie difficulty

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

STARTUP ITEMS

starter-Items.png

TOWER

A20-6-2022-12-25-04-46-59.jpg

BOSSES

A20-6-2022-12-25-04-52-00.jpg

TOWER DEFENSE-ING

towerdefense01b.jpg

ROCKET RICOCHET

towerdefense03.jpg

I welcome your suggestions and feedback. Enjoy. 😎

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)

3 hours ago, CrypticGirl said:

This sounds interesting...but does it not work for single player?  I spawn in the world and immediately die and then spawn as a spectator in the middle of nowhere.  And then zombies spawn in and also immediately die.  I don't have any other mods installed.

Hi @CrypticGirl  It sounds like you're spawning out in the grass/ground and not within the arena which has concrete floors. The arena is part of the enTowereDefenseArena map. Do you see the arena anywhere at all when you spawn? Also, did you ensure the map was downloaded and copied to the correct game folder? Steps described in the Requirements section. Let me know if still having issues. 

5 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

Hi @CrypticGirl  It sounds like you're spawning out in the grass/ground and not within the arena which has concrete floors. The arena is part of the enTowereDefenseArena map. Do you see the arena anywhere at all when you spawn? Also, did you ensure the map was downloaded and copied to the correct game folder? Steps described in the Requirements section. Let me know if still having issues. 

Yes, I made sure to download and select the correct map.  I don't see any concrete or structures when I respawn in spectator mode.  I can't see where I spawn at all when I initially die.  When I respawn, all I see is flat grass biome as far as the eye can see.

@CrypticGirl ok i think i got it. first time i've created a custom map to share so just now figuring this out. 😁 looks like there's some custom prefabs that need to be downloaded as well. i updated my original post with the details, and copied for you below. let me know if this fixes it.

Download the prefabs that represent the battle arena labeled enTowerDefensePrefabs. Copy all the prefab files into your "LocalPrefabs" folder. The LocalPrefabs folder should be located inside the same folder where your GeneratedWorlds and Saves folder are.

the prefabs are available from the same github link

td-folders.png

9 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

In a single player mode, if the player falls on ground, how will he get healed ? Doesn't look like its a single player game though. Lol.

very true haha. you're pretty much doomed. but actually, one strategy is the load up on healing if you are getting close to 50HP.. that way if you get KO'd, you are still slowly healing from the bandage/med kit and will self-recover back above 50HP again... then flee the fight to live another day

12 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

@CrypticGirl ok i think i got it. first time i've created a custom map to share so just now figuring this out. 😁 looks like there's some custom prefabs that need to be downloaded as well. i updated my original post with the details, and copied for you below. let me know if this fixes it.

Download the prefabs that represent the battle arena labeled enTowerDefensePrefabs. Copy all the prefab files into your "LocalPrefabs" folder. The LocalPrefabs folder should be located inside the same folder where your GeneratedWorlds and Saves folder are.

the prefabs are available from the same github link

td-folders.png

very true haha. you're pretty much doomed. but actually, one strategy is the load up on healing if you are getting close to 50HP.. that way if you get KO'd, you are still slowly healing from the bandage/med kit and will self-recover back above 50HP again... then flee the fight to live another day

Okay, that did the trick, thanks. :D

31 minutes ago, Ganeshakw said:

Guys, can somebody please post a in-game video of this ? Will like to watch it. Thanks.

here's a video from an earlier version - doesn't have the tower frame and a few other things, but the main mechanics are there. this vid doesn't show lots of zombies spawning and doesn't get too crazy, since i was just demonstrating the concept... but the battle gets very hairy after a couple horde stages during normal play. i may do a real play tomorrow with my kids and can post that up. 😁

12 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

Guys, somebody please post a gameplay video. I am very eager to see and am not able to play as my laptop is damaged. EN bro if someone doesn't, please you play and post it. I want to see the later stages too. Please please please.

A boring stream as I'm not commenting/talking, but here's me barely getting to level 8 in single player mode: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1693163150

Thanks bro. I really enjoyed watching your play.

Nice work EN. 

A few suggestions if you dont mind.

1) The place looks too dead. Can we put some life into it ? Like placing a few sandbags and burning barrels around it ?

2) Please add torches and lanterns to the WM.

3) If its not there, please add turrets to help in SP.

Thats it for now.

If you play for a longer duration, please record and post the video.

Thanks.

👍

Edited by Ganeshakw (see edit history)

23 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

A boring stream as I'm not commenting/talking, but here's me barely getting to level 8 in single player mode: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1693163150

great video and nice strategy with blocking off the stairs and leaving a ledge on the opposite side to hop onto. you might want build up walls and floors next time on the tower frame to shield off those vomit attacks.. but still got to stage 8 which isn't bad at all. i've added you to the singleplayer leaderboard at rank #1 🏆👍. hope you enjoyed the battle.

11 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

1) The place looks too dead. Can we put some life into it ? Like placing a few sandbags and burning barrels around it ?

2) Please add torches and lanterns to the WM.

3) If its not there, please add turrets to help in SP.

thanks for the suggestions. i'd like to keep it all simple and to help reduce lag, so i'm avoiding putting in extra decorations on the map for now. adding turrets for single player would be tricky because i don't have a way to ensure it show up only  for single player and not in multiplayer for the vending machines or in the loot bags. but adding lanterns would be a good idea and helpful for everyone... so i'll add them in the vending machines. 👍

13 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

great video and nice strategy with blocking off the stairs and leaving a ledge on the opposite side to hop onto. you might want build up walls and floors next time on the tower frame to shield off those vomit attacks.. but still got to stage 8 which isn't bad at all. i've added you to the singleplayer leaderboard at rank #1 🏆👍. hope you enjoyed the battle.

Thanks! It was my second attempt as the first one ended faster.  The "scale up" of the waves brought the ferals/spitters faster than i anticipated and my first attempt was even less planned and went worse. The "time between waves" is very short (its fine, no need to change it) and i never think about "prepping" while i have zeds to shoot, so "making a small concrete wall" to let zeds pound a bit on while buying blocks and reinforcing is probably a better strategy than "throw down a few as needed as you'll always have enough bullets to thin the herd", especially in single player. I not a "great" player as i kinda like "unplanned chaos" so i normally dont spend a lot of time planning/building in regular games.

16 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

If you play for a longer duration, please record and post the video.

Ill probably give it a few more shots so ill record and post them. Ill see if i can find my mic to make it less quiet, and maybe at least give some reasoning of why and what im doing (or trying to so)

Hi Errornull : P 

I am... Cs021 and survived to level 18.. Technically I did die but i had the strategies and resources to revive myself.. I hope that counts o.o

IF that doesn't count, I survived to stage 17. Uhhh don't mind the weird shakes, I was kind of dying irl and the shakes give more emotion hahahahaha

Not to mention the most iconic moment was at 2:29:52 where I knocked down that radiated hazmat dude and we exchanged eye contact ;-;

Just so you all know, I played this minigame a lot and practiced a bunch with the errornull himself so don't feel bad if you don't survive as long. The rocket dudes and bunker busters were the people that I am still afraid of cause they literally one shot you with full steel armor and everything : / 

My current method was mainly to get enough money for my main weapons and armor, and then after that I focus on the base design and stuff. After the first round I mainly switch to pipe bombs to make more money for an m60.... Also, I build a wall type of thing around the wall of the main base to sorta protect against the rockets since they can still one shot you through walls .... When I revived myself though I realized I was doomed cause there was no way for me to get back up to the vending machines : ( . I focus on the fortitude skill mainly for the machine gunner upgrades (since I use the m60) and also pain tolerance. After fortitude I try to upgrade strength to level 7 to get full points on heavy armor : D. Yepp thats basically it!

Here's the link: 

1 hour ago, Ganeshakw said:

Bro we should have that multi barrel machine gun which shoots like a bullet train for later stages. 

I have used that gun in War3zuk and Apocalypse Now mods.

That's an interesting suggestion. 👍 Did you try out the tower defense yet, and if you did, what stage did you get to? :^

nice run @Cs021 👍

as one of my frequent playtesters for enTowerDefense, you sure have found some good strategies. in addition to heavily fortifying the tower from all sides, i can see you're also taking advantage of the fact that zombies tend to pause their spawning if you don't have line of sight to the arena floor. so when you're hidden within the walls of your fortified base, it's only when you peek outside that new zombies will drop into the area. the positive is that it keeps you safe and zombie count to minimum if you need spend time to repair and upgrade gear and update skills, but the negative is that your potential zombie kills and score would be slower compared the players to who keep the zombies coming in nonstop. looks like you're the one to beat now for rank #1 on the single player leaderboard!

uploaded multiplayer playthrough with me and @Cs021 . the video is taken from my pov. will have our team average score posted on the leaderboard by tomorrow.

this had me thinking about how the multiplayer leaderboard should be run. for multiplayer, the most fair way is to take the average score of all players in the party. so if there were 3 players in the party, and P1 got 2,000 pts, P2 got 3,000 pts, and P3 got 4,000 pts, then the average team score is 3,000.  and this is the score that will be posted on the multiplayer leaderboard as a single team and not individual scores.

simply posting the total of everyone's score onto the leaderboard wouldn't be fair, as larger teams will have more players and therefor more zombie kills. and if we instead post the score of each individual team member onto the multiplayer leaderboard, then those who played more supportive roles (building, air support, etc) will always battle fewer enemies and receive less points.

youtube video of our playthrough below. it's a good 2hrs and 50min as we got to horde stage 20 😎 . the video description has some timed jump points to a few interesting parts.

still here and about. just now posted teamplay vid of me and @Cs021 as well as our score on the front page multiplay leaderboard. our team average score was 2979. 😎

ed-TD-cs021.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-01-07-22h52m18s443.png

while waiting for alpha 21 to release, i've decided to try my hand at making my own open world survival game using unreal engine. it's going to be a very long term project but has been something i've always wanted to do. more info on my webpage here