What about miner 69er and mother lode?

Aytest

46 minutes ago, Aytest said:

I've been playing since A18 and it always felt like these perks were mandatory, because without them it is painful to get any resources for crafting or basebuilding really.
Would love to see them rebalanced in A21

You're in luck! A21 is rebalancing many of the perks. Sexy Rex is being baked into all melee weapons, as well as Miner 69er and Salvage Operations, for example.

9 hours ago, Old Crow said:

You're in luck! A21 is rebalancing many of the perks. Sexy Rex is being baked into all melee weapons, as well as Miner 69er and Salvage Operations, for example.

He might not see it that way, Miner69 and motherlode will not go away. He still needs them for mining.

• 1 month later...

I'm with you that I pretty much always take a bit of mining skill in a solo play through, but the point investment required to be decent is pretty small. Strength to 2 plus a cigar and three points in miner 69er makes you a very capable miner. Mother lode to 3 as well is a nice bonus but I don't find it necessary. Using rock busters, which is easy enough to do for all dedicated mining days once you're into mid game, effectively gives you a point in mother lode for free, too.

The biggest 'must have' reason for miner 69er I find, if I'm doing a lot of construction, is you really have to go to 4 points (and thus need 4 in strength and a cigar) to be able to one shot dirt blocks. That's a huge time saver if you're building serious foundations or doing underground construction. I'm fairly sure you CAN one shot dirt with miner 69er at 3 but you need a fully modded Q6 steel shovel that rolled lucky for stats. Having the perk at 4 lets you one shot with a Q5 (which you can also forge yourself at that skill level) so is a lot easier to achieve.

The ideal solution there would be variable damage rolls, but that's not something that seems to be on the devs radar. Fixed damage is a major issue with how harvesting works, because the difference between doing 190 and 200 block damage with a shovel, or 90 and 100 with a wrench, is vast. Those last few points of damage basically double your efficiency.

That's only true if you do construction on a small scale.  On one of my playthroughs I'll easily go through several hundred thousand to several million concrete depending on just how big I'm building, and trying to do that without maxed Miner 69er/Motherlode is not something you want to do.

Granted, I do a lot of aesthetic building, not just building the minimal that I need to survive.

44 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

That's only true if you do construction on a small scale.  On one of my playthroughs I'll easily go through several hundred thousand to several million concrete depending on just how big I'm building, and trying to do that without maxed Miner 69er/Motherlode is not something you want to do.

Granted, I do a lot of aesthetic building, not just building the minimal that I need to survive.

True, and I also tend to build big, but I think that the vast majority of players don't do that.  I could be wrong, of course.  For me, I'll add a point or two fairly early, but not go far into it until later.  I'll usually not build anything very large until week 2 or so, so don't need to spend points in there right away.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

For me, it's the first thing I spec in (along with Sex Rex.)  I'm usually crafting max level iron tools day 3 or so, and I like to have a minimum of 30k cobblestone available for building my Day 7 horde base.  It's honestly one of the things that really concerns me about A21, because not having high quality iron tools fairly early will completely disrupt the way I like to play (I basically spend all night, every night, mining), as mining with the stone axe is absolutely miserable.

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose it's that the perks for building effectively sit within strength, gathering enough resources. And one of the really fun things about this game is what you can build, so a great many people go for the epic build, rather than the sleek simple and effective build. (Not saying that's wrong, I myself go for bigger builds and tend to hoard items so need lots of boxes. I also hate utilising the path of least resistance AI in builds, feels like an exploit.)

What if there was some mechanic with traders where the more of something that is bought, the more the supply ramps up, but the price increases as it does. Say if each time you bought all the concrete from a trader, it would automatically produce 50% more next time, but the 2nd stack had an increased price. Then you could start to get them in greater supply from other means?

A thought that does make sense, supply will be made to meet demand where it can.

5 hours ago, Dark_Shadow_231 said:

What if there was some mechanic with traders where the more of something that is bought, the more the supply ramps up, but the price increases as it does. Say if each time you bought all the concrete from a trader, it would automatically produce 50% more next time, but the 2nd stack had an increased price. Then you could start to get them in greater supply from other means?

Not that is be against the idea, but this is kind of opposite normal supply and demand.  Usually as supply increases, prices decrease and add supply drops, prices increase.  Assuming the same demand, of course.

In the end, I don't have any strong feelings about the traders and what they sell as I rarely buy anything from them.  Even when I have a ton of money, I still understand that the prices are very high, so I don't want to spend money there. I'd rather just make stuff if possible.  It's is usually magazines if I don't want to wait to find them or on rare occasions when I am struggling with ammo, then ammo or ammo making supplies.  Otherwise, it is rare I buy anything.  So quantity and prices don't really matter much to me personally. 😁