Military Armor

bobrpggamer

32 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Correct me if I am wrong here....  Doesn't that only reset skill points?  OP is referring to the book/magazine sets that you read, which would not be affected by the elixir.

Yes it only resets skill points. But OP mentioned wishing they hadn't put so many points into Agility and Light Armor.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:09 AM, unholyjoe said:

on sale at your local trader... a mere 20K dukes.

A20.6_2022-12-24_09-06-19.jpg

The only RPG with this feature. Imagine creating your gyrocopter and then removing your skill point and putting them into heavy armor to create full-on great quality steel armor, and the doing the same thing.

Its a cool feature, but almost sounds like cheating.

7 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

The only RPG with this feature. Imagine creating your gyrocopter and then removing your skill point and putting them into heavy armor to create full-on great quality steel armor, and the doing the same thing.

Its a cool feature, but almost sounds like cheating.

It is :), but is sanctioned, so it aint :).

A better implementation would be to drink until you forget and slowly recover from your amnesia.  That way you wont use it willy nilly.

But I digress...back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Yeah, I played a game where I rushed better barter + daring adventurer to get a fully kitted out steel base and full gear loadout a couple weeks in and then drank an elixir to switch to combat skills, and I was better off after 2-3 weeks than I'd usually be at 6 weeks. It was pretty insane. Of course, what that meant is I just got bored with the playthrough faster, so I was only cheating myself.

In the context of a playthrough where you took a set of skills thinking the game works one way and then you learned that's not how it works, I think it's pretty fair to open up the creative menu and give yourself the elixir to reset your skills to what you would have gotten otherwise. That said, light armor skill is pretty good anyway since it makes you better at wearing it when you find it. Crafting gear is pretty much BS anyway so you might as well just loot it.

Respeccing is a reasonably common thing to see in games but it's usually not as exploitable as it is in 7DtD. Like, if I change from a fire wizard to an axe berserker in some RPG or I drop some useless skills to swap in useful ones I'm not really exploiting anything other than that maybe one class is stronger early on then falls off later or whatever. In 7DtD speccing heavily into vehicles is meant to have the opportunity cost that you give up combat effectiveness, but if you just build everything and then swap in some combat skills then you get to have your cake and eat it too.

At least the Fergettin' elixir is pretty pricey, though someone already specced into Intelligence can somewhat circumvent that too due to Better Barter.

Anyway, this 'issue' should be addressed by a21's release since recipes will no longer be something you can magically learn by killing zombies.

Playing coop multiplayer with non-overlapping skills is even more beneficial than being able to respec.  Given that fact, I'm not sure why anyone would consider using the elixir exploitative, especially considering the cost.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, hiemfire said:

Don't most multiplayer RPG's have a skill/perk respec system now? Iirc there are quite a few where respecing doesn't have an in game cost either.

My generation RPGs are what I was talking about.

Might and Magic

Wizardry

Ultima

Dungeon master and clones.

Basically 80s and 90s RPGs.

I do not even believe this is even in and Elder Scrolls games - although I only played morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

On 12/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, ElDudorino said:

Respeccing is a reasonably common thing to see in games but it's usually not as exploitable as it is in 7DtD. Like, if I change from a fire wizard to an axe berserker in some RPG or I drop some useless skills to swap in useful ones I'm not really exploiting anything other than that maybe one class is stronger early on then falls off later or whatever. In 7DtD speccing heavily into vehicles is meant to have the opportunity cost that you give up combat effectiveness, but if you just build everything and then swap in some combat skills then you get to have your cake and eat it too.

At least the Fergettin' elixir is pretty pricey, though someone already specced into Intelligence can somewhat circumvent that too due to Better Barter.

Anyway, this 'issue' should be addressed by a21's release since recipes will no longer be something you can magically learn by killing zombies.

Yes in D&D games you could multiclass players and in others you could do the same, but the process is an entirely new class, so some of the other class skills could not progress any more and you lose some stats in the process.

These are classes though, not skills or perks like in Fallout 1 & 2, but those games did not really have classes. By classes I mean Fighter, mage, cleric, thief and so on. wizardry 6 & 7 and had major drawbacks to class changing.

I did find the Military Armor Schematic so all is cool

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

Sure, I know about multiclassing in D&D.  But if we look at for example Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, which is a reasonably pure D&D (Pathfinder) experience, you can respec at almost any time and it lets you re-pick everything about your character (race, stats, class, feats, alignment, appearance, whatever).  As I recall, you could do the same thing in Divinity: Original Sin.  It's definitely not unusual to see a respec feature in RPGs from the past few generations.  But sure, I can't really think of any 80s/90s games with it.  

I definitely appreciate the older "no respec" rpgs from my younger days.  Made my decisions feel more important and encouraged multiple playthroughs.

Although I am nostalgic about the old days, I have come to appreciate the respec feature in newer games.  As if developers know that I am much older and have less time to replay games now lol....

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I definitely appreciate the older "no respec" rpgs from my younger days.  Made my decisions feel more important and encouraged multiple playthroughs.

Although I am nostalgic about the old days, I have come to appreciate the respec feature in newer games.  As if developers know that I am much older and have less time to replay games now lol....

Back in the day we didn't usually have complicated choices to make for our characters, though. You had your character class and your free spells for magic-users and that was basically it.  Nowadays some games have millions of ways you can build and even if you spend time 'theorycrafting' you can get stuck if certain mechanics don't work as expected.

7DtD doesn't really punish 'bad' builds so respec is an unnecessary luxury here but I couldn't have finished my first playthrough of the Pathfinder game referenced above if not for respeccing.