Steel shapes crafting time

ungkor

What do you think is the reason for steel shapes and other items taking a long time to craft?  

I'm not sure exactly why it makes the game more rewarding and fun to wait for things in general.   I mean, I have like 10 work benches, so its not much of an issue, but I'm still kinda drawn to the question of Why?  

It just seems more like an annoyance than a positive for gameplay.

Well, it is the best block type in game, and the deployment is instant if you've prepared - it might be an intentional thing to hinder you from absolutely instant repairs on horde nights. Just needs a touch of prep time now, so it isn't exactly useful for that though.

It may also just be a "does this really matter" kinda thing, having not decided what it should be so just leaving it at the default. I think there's a default crafting time -calculation that is material based, steel things being slow to craft, and brass being so ridiculously slow to scrap.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

I'm pretty sure scrapping times have been normalized in A20.  Brass is still slower but not even close to as bad as it used to be.

That does sound familiar, but in my defense it's still pretty bad, they may have modified the issue, but .. I just don't see the point for the slowness, all it does is make you redo your crafting queue occasionally.

I see it as a reward for people well prepared/punishment for slackers 😉. If I only remember to start crafting on the day of the horde I might have to improvise. Time is a very important resource in the game and this is one of the tasks where you have to manage it.

Did you let clay run out in the forge? Did you forget to make darts for your traps? Did you schedule repairs for day 21? Well, too bad, cope with it.

Yes, you can make 10 workbenches to get down production times. That is one further way to manage your time. Though you must either be a skyscraper builder or mighty disorganized to need 10 benches

On my server with 4 people the max number of workbenches we ever had was one time with 5.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:47 PM, ungkor said:

What do you think is the reason for steel shapes and other items taking a long time to craft?  

I'm not sure exactly why it makes the game more rewarding and fun to wait for things in general.   I mean, I have like 10 work benches, so its not much of an issue, but I'm still kinda drawn to the question of Why?  

It just seems more like an annoyance than a positive for gameplay.

Game progression management and game balance.

I find Instant gratification is a poor game mechanic.  Working towards goals and objectives provides a game play layer that most players enjoy.  Crafting and time management is a key component of 7D2D.

If nothing is a challenge then the gaming experience and re-playability is muted. (btw most players upgrade blocks for the XP instead of craft steel blocks in workbenches).

8 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Game progression management and game balance.

I find Instant gratification is a poor game mechanic.  Working towards goals and objectives provides a game play layer that most players enjoy.  Crafting and time management is a key component of 7D2D.

If nothing is a challenge then the gaming experience and re-playability is muted. (btw most players upgrade blocks for the XP instead of craft steel blocks in workbenches).

Or depending on your preference, less leveling to be completely prepared for hordes with demolishers at later game stages. I made the mistake of laying a 2 concrete thick base floor like 300x300x2 Wood shapes, to cobble, to concrete and some to steel and I went up 10 levels, so my temp base was attacked by demolishers and I was not prepared for it.

So I will use shapes in cobble, concrete (and possibly steel) to make sure my end base will be ready at later bloodmoons.