Trains

ungkor

This is kinda out of the box, but for late game players, maybe there should be a faster loot transfer system.  It's probably because I just played factorio, but the first thing that came to mind was trains.  

Setup base 1 in the desert.  Base 2 in the snow, etc.    Mine iron and forge steel to make train tracks.  Create a railroad network between your bases.  

That seems super fun to me, as I'm flying 3.5K for the upteenth time between bases.

Consider starting a below grade subway system, an above ground enclosed track, or build your own custom roads, with a 4X4 as your "train".  It would provide a similar time/resource investment and the role play vibe.  Maybe one of the vehicle mods has a better surrogate for a "train" as well.

The amount of time and resources you need to make train tracks to connect far flung places seems pretty silly once you have a bicycle and an additional inventory space. I can't imagine you will save any amount of time doing this in the long run.

Sure its cool, but loot doesn't respawn often enough for me to justify building permanent infrastructure to a given location.

34 minutes ago, warmer said:

The amount of time and resources you need to make train tracks to connect far flung places seems pretty silly once you have a bicycle and an additional inventory space. I can't imagine you will save any amount of time doing this in the long run.

Sure its cool, but loot doesn't respawn often enough for me to justify building permanent infrastructure to a given location.

This.

That is the problem with major infrastructure projects in this game, particularly when you consider the fact that the far flung location will run out of whatever resource you are using it for long before you finish the infrastructure in the first place if you are not wholly devoted to building the road.

If you think about it, it is realistic in that manner as well.  Train tracks are never built for a small group of people, you need major transportation requirement6s before trains or any other form of moving resources becomes more viable than by vehicle.

Just bear in mind that not everyone plays the same way with the same objectives.  The OP is simply looking at a different form of a large fun vanity project, like almost any other base.  Notwithstanding, that loot respawn timers can be easily adjusted, to make resource gathering viable in far flung areas of the map.

25 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Just bear in mind that not everyone plays the same way with the same objectives.  The OP is simply looking at a different form of a large fun vanity project, like almost any other base.  Notwithstanding, that loot respawn timers can be easily adjusted, to make resource gathering viable in far flung areas of the map.

I think the point everyone else is making is that building a rail system seems pretty impractical with the games current mechanics, and honestly it would be a waste of dev time to do something like this.

This is perfect for a mod if someone really wants to take the time to do it, but as someone else stated, there is nothing in the game code right now that could handle the automatic pathing needed for a vehicle like a train to follow a path laid out by the player.

A better solution that is entirely within the realm of possibility in vanilla is just a larger vehicle that can hold more loot that has some other drawbacks. Or maybe a new vehicle mod that opens more storage space at the cost of speed and/or fuel economy.

3 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I think the point everyone else is making is that building a rail system seems pretty impractical with the games current mechanics, and honestly it would be a waste of dev time to do something like this.

This is perfect for a mod if someone really wants to take the time to do it, but as someone else stated, there is nothing in the game code right now that could handle the automatic pathing needed for a vehicle like a train to follow a path laid out by the player.

A better solution that is entirely within the realm of possibility in vanilla is just a larger vehicle that can hold more loot that has some other drawbacks. Or maybe a new vehicle mod that opens more storage space at the cost of speed and/or fuel economy.

Agreed, and pretty much what I suggested in my first response.

My second comment was responding to the "Sure its cool, but loot doesn't respawn often enough for me to justify building permanent infrastructure to a given location." comments. 

Yeah, the trains would be completely impractical and wouldn't be a logical thing to add to the game.

One thing I think they could get away with is adding trader item transport. Like once you have found multiple traders, you could go to one of them and pay a fee to transfer as many items as you want from one trader to the other. The transfer could happen the next morning to indicate that the trader gave the transport job to one of their other lackeys while you were out.

Then if you still wanted to make a 3.5km "train track" you could do that with existing shapes and just pretend it was used for transport.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:44 PM, 8_Hussars said:

Agreed, and pretty much what I suggested in my first response.

My second comment was responding to the "Sure its cool, but loot doesn't respawn often enough for me to justify building permanent infrastructure to a given location." comments. 

If it respawns often enough then closer locations would still be preferable to be honest.  they respawn also.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, Syphon583 said:

As a MOD it is not a bad idea if that is what you are looking for.

Bridges or tunnels through mountains are infrastructure projects that I think is more practical, requires less resources, scratches that infrastructure itch and does provide some real benefits if you structure the map to accommodate it like increasing rivers or crevices. Still not really a worth while endeavor but it does fill that niche quite nicely.  All of those can be done rather easily in vanilla.  If the point is not infrastructure but automation then this is really the wrong game for that.  There are a lot of games structured around that type of play and they are quite fun in their own right.

This may be a little off topic but thinking about the long trips to and from loot, why is there not a mod that has a trailer for hauling with the 4X4. Maybe 4 sections of 60 or 90 storage slots, this way it would be like having 240 or 360 slots without the screwy interface problem of 240 or more slots on screen at once.

Basically having 4 storage chests on a trailer that can only be bought or crafted after getting the 4X4 truck and the 4X4 truck the only means of hauling it of course.

Seems to be cool to make and have in game.

I just thought of a good way to offer it. The storage trailer has has an initial storage of 60 slots, then 4 modification slots with the 60 or 90 slot modifications to be bought or crafted after a reading a schematic.

I do have to admit this would require a lot of scripting, playtesting and a 3D model asset to make, but would be amazing after raiding a small town for loot and resources.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

That has been mentioned in another thread.  I am not sure the modding tools are there to create such a mod though it would be pretty awesome.  Towing something is not really anywhere else in the game.

The effect is easy enough to create and there are plenty of mods that do add massive amounts of storage space but actually having something that you can see attached to the 4x4 and also having it effect things like top speed and handling not so much.  I would love to see it too but I doubt the devs see it as viable considering the work involved and that it would require an entirely new system to be added.

You could start a thread in the Pimp Dreams section.