I the Google Chrome map Viewer Cheating?

bobrpggamer

Well it may seem like cheating buy if you think about it, these facts pop up.

1) The player ends up in a location that may seem random, but if he was there, it may have been his home town. So he would know the area anyway.

2) If he know the area already he should know a few of the stores and buildings in the area already like the skyscrapers, the larger POIs as well as the paths and roads to get there.

3) He may know a place to get a map of the area or may have one already.

So I would not call it cheating (or shameless cheating) that the player knows the area he is in, and therefore using the map viewer is like going to a Pass N Gas station and picking up the latest map. I mean, I don't go out much but I at least know where most locations in my area are and at least the locations of 10 different gas stations to get a map.

5 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

Well it may seem like cheating buy if you think about it, these facts pop up.

1) The player ends up in a location that may seem random, but if he was there, it may have been his home town. So he would know the area anyway.

2) If he know the area already he should know a few of the stores and buildings in the area already like the skyscrapers, the larger POIs as well as the paths and roads to get there.

3) He may know a place to get a map of the area or may have one already.

So I would not call it cheating (or shameless cheating) that the player knows the area he is in, and therefore using the map viewer is like going to a Pass N Gas station and picking up the latest map. I mean, I don't go out much but I at least know where most locations in my area are and at least the locations of 10 different gas stations to get a map.

Most people, if they are still in their hometown, don't wake up naked and in the woods  😉

As for cheating, I just play SP so the only person I would be "cheating" is myself.  I play the game to have fun, so it doesn't matter what others would think.

Just now, BFT2020 said:

Most people, if they are still in their hometown, don't wake up naked and in the woods  😉

As for cheating, I just play SP so the only person I would be "cheating" is myself.  I play the game to have fun, so it doesn't matter what others would think.

OK, so how did he get there? Maybe he was drunk and passed out and another survivor stole his clothes.

You are right about playing SP the way you want, but I still feel some guilt from looking at the map preview in Chrome.

I don't view it as cheating at all.

On RWG maps players are often looking for particular features: such as POIs (as the Tier 5s are limited), specific POIs for a purpose (bases), and biome diversity.  These are not really "custom" maps but in a way they are "customized" maps.  Getting a feel if the map meets the goals of the play through, prior to playing the map, while ensuring the desired features are there for the play through is a time saver.

Once I am playing the map, I refrain from using the viewer for that map because I like the exploration feel.  Of course depending on the play through going in blind is just as good as well.

Its not cheating in single player. Its a choice as to whether you want to roleplay it like its your hometown and/or  you have a map of the area or whether you want to roleplay it like you have amnesia or have been dumped in a new place you don't know. If you like to explore and discover then don't look. If you don't care about that then look.

It can be cheating in multiplayer if you are doing it to gain an unfair advantage while competing against others especially if the server agreement is that everyone has to explore in order to discover.

23 minutes ago, Roland said:

Its not cheating in single player. Its a choice as to whether you want to roleplay it like its your hometown and/or  you have a map of the area or whether you want to roleplay it like you have amnesia or have been dumped in a new place you don't know. If you like to explore and discover then don't look. If you don't care about that then look.

It can be cheating in multiplayer if you are doing it to gain an unfair advantage while competing against others especially if the server agreement is that everyone has to explore in order to discover.

I mainly use it to spot traders but also to find a perfect spot for an end base - meaning flattest terrain, closest to most biomes and for convenient main roads in and out.

I would call it clearly 'cheating.'  The question is, however, what does that mean in SP?

Nothing.  Nothing at all.  If you want to console yourself 10 stacks of ammo and a million xp on day one who cares.  If that is what you want to do then do it.