Do I need the full Auto mod on the SMG to use the 10% full auto perk?

ElCabong

I have SMG and the full auto perk you get from reading the book. It seems to me that the SMG should not need it but it's it's a semi-automatic. In use, it doesn't make any difference but if I want to get that 10% bonus should I put the fully automatic mod on it?

What full auto perk?

From Pistol Pete

-AP Ammo

-HP Ammo

-Increase durability

-Swiss knees - leg shots stacking

-Take aim - improve range when using sights (not hip firing)

-Steady hand - reduces spread when rapid firing - does not required the auto mod

-Damage - straight damage buff

-Completion - ignores armor and causes bleed affects

All these are applied to items tagged 9mmGun (which includes the SMG)

If you are talking automatic weapons books, they don't apply to pistols (only for items tagged with perkBookAutoWeapons or Automatic weapon specific properties).

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

It's in one of those books that has Dirty Harry on the front.

Isn't that Magnum Enforcer?

You're now confusing three book series. Automatic Weapons Handbook, Pistol Pete and Magnum Enforcer. Each set applies to exactly one set of weapons:

Automatic Weapons Handbook = Pipe Machine Gun*, AK-47, Tactical Assault Rifle and M60

Pistol Pete = Pipe Pistol*, Pistol, SMG-5

Magnum Enforcer = .44 Magnum, Desert Vulture

* I'm not sure if the Pipe versions are properly affected, but if they are, that's how they would be.

None of the book sets applies to Any of the Other groups of weapons.

Gotta admit it's taken me more than a few game hours to sort that out (not looking under the hood of the code). But considering the level of discourse from Elcabong, he's probably trolling, just a bit. Put Baba Louie in the library and have him report back. lol. It's alright. 😁

I am not trolling this time. This is from the automatic weapon handbook volume 1. Automatic weapons do 10% more damage. I would think that the SMG would be an automatic weapon.

Perhaps it is not a fully automatic weapon and I need to put the full Auto mod in it to get that 10% damage bonus.

9 hours ago, theFlu said:

Isn't that Magnum Enforcer?

You're now confusing three book series. Automatic Weapons Handbook, Pistol Pete and Magnum Enforcer. Each set applies to exactly one set of weapons:

Automatic Weapons Handbook = Pipe Machine Gun*, AK-47, Tactical Assault Rifle and M60

Pistol Pete = Pipe Pistol*, Pistol, SMG-5

Magnum Enforcer = .44 Magnum, Desert Vulture

* I'm not sure if the Pipe versions are properly affected, but if they are, that's how they would be.

None of the book sets applies to Any of the Other groups of weapons.

7 hours ago, Melange said:

Gotta admit it's taken me more than a few game hours to sort that out (not looking under the hood of the code). But considering the level of discourse from Elcabong, he's probably trolling, just a bit. Put Baba Louie in the library and have him report back. lol. It's alright. 😁

I am not trolling. This is from the automatic weapon handbook volume 1. Automatic weapons do 10% more damage. I would think that the SMG would be an automatic weapon. I do apologize for being vague but I really couldn't remember what it was and had to do some digging.

Perhaps it is not  and I need to put the full auto mod in it to get that 10% damage bonus.

Whem I  make these vulture posts I'm not trolling. It's my diary on how I live my life in the game. I guess you could call that a troll post but I don't think it is.

You can just assume there’s no cross-pollination among weapon classes like that. An SMG is a pistol in this game, period, and a book that affects ‘automatic weapons’ only affects the assault rifle class, even if the in game text is ambiguous or imprecise. Everything fits neatly in its box, which is how we get weird logic like machetes that aren’t good for chopping wood, but I digress.

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

which is how we get weird logic like machetes that aren’t good for chopping wood

That's actually an encrypted version of axes vs skulls, right...? Madmole reeally had enough about that one, or something? :)

4 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I would think that the SMG would be an automatic weapon.

It is, but not in the logic of this game and as such:

4 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Perhaps it is not  and I need to put the full auto mod in it to get that 10% damage bonus.

This will Not work, nothing in the game will change the type of a gun - with regards to books or skills at least.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

FYI I don’t think any of the perk books require a mod in your weapon for it to apply, though I haven’t check too closely.  I believe that they only look for a specific weapon tag or affect specific weapon properties.  They do though unlock some mod crafting recipes.