[Feature Request] [MP]: Multiple Players access one chest at a time

Cr0wst0rm

I am sure this has been asked many times before and i think it should be considered, since we already passed through 20 alpha stages of the game.

The real questing is: is this still possible with the current state of the game?

More and more features, so I am little worried if such ship hasn't sailed away already...

Edited by Cr0wst0rm (see edit history)

• Cr0wst0rm changed the title to [Feature Request] [MP]: Multiple Players access one chest at a time
29 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

I am sure this has been asked many times before and i think it should be considered, since we already passed through 20 alpha stages of the game.

The real questing is: is this still possible with the current state of the game?

More and more features, so I am little worried if such ship hasn't sailed away already...

My buddy and I would love this, can't say how many times one of us would be in the middle of looking for something in a chest, and hear the other guy say I just need in there for a minute.

Edited by Darthjake (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Darthjake said:

My buddy and I would love this, can't say how many times one of us would be in the middle of looking for something in a chest, and hear the other guy say I just need in there for a minute.

Yep, i felt this many times with my buddy, often we scream curses at each other :D. Personally things like these should have prio over art reworks etc... This should have been done since the start, its the most basic game framework thing...

Yeh, it's been requested a few times in the past, seems it's not going to happen. Too bad, I wouldn't mind it, this one would be worth some dev time.

Although, the sorting buttons made it a lot less of an issue, as you don't need to stay in a box for ages anymore. Add some crafting-straight-from-boxes and it stops being an issue altogether - which might be just as dupable of course, but at least exists as a mod now.

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

That just leads to duping. I'm pretty sure it's intentional to not allow it.

Ofc you move first on server and then on client. If you dont know how to do such things then you should not do gamedev. This is like the most trivial stuff that you SHOULD do on server layer... It trully pi**es me off sometimes that i have to yell at my teammate to gtfo of that chest :D

9 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

and i think it should be considered

It was. Carefully.

6 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This is like the most trivial stuff

Really?

What games allow it? Every multiplayer game with containers that I've ever played makes players wait their turn from Minecraft to Valheim to Empyrion to Space Engineers to No Man's Sky right down to even Terraria and Stardew Valley. Why doesn't anyone who requests this ever say "Can we have multiple players be allowed to access the same chest at the same time just like they do in ________________?"

I'm betting it isn't trivial.

48 minutes ago, Roland said:

Why doesn't anyone who requests this ever say "Can we have multiple players be allowed to access the same chest at the same time just like they do in ________________?"

Tell me where i compared this game to any other. I have not, and this should be possible. You move item on server, then move on every individual client that has the window open. That should not be that hard... I worked in both Unity + Unreal and i know the background so it can't be hard. This is just a poor stupid excuse, like sorry but there is no other explanation. The devs would have done this since day one of the game, but they have not done it YET. Instead, they keep changing some dumb quest books, add them, then remove them again..... Seems sometimes that the guys do really milk the @%$# out of this game instead of making legacy systems work properly....

48 minutes ago, Roland said:

Every multiplayer game with containers that I've ever played makes players wait their turn from Minecraft to Valheim to Empyrion to Space Engineers to No Man's Sky right down to even Terraria and Stardew Valley.

Afaik minecraft has multiple access chests

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Tell me where i compared this game to any other.

Tell me where I said you did. That was kind of your problem that you didn't...

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Afaik it does not.

7 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Tell me where i compared this game to any other. I have not, and this should be possible. You move item on server, then move on every individual client that has the window open. That should not be that hard... I worked in both Unity + Unreal and i know the background so it can't be hard. This is just a poor stupid excuse, like sorry but there is no other explanation. The devs would have done this since day one of the game, but they have not done it YET. Instead, they keep changing some dumb quest books, add them, then remove them again..... Seems sometimes that the guys do really milk the @%$# out of this game instead of making legacy systems work properly....

Wow, I can't believe TFP ignored the opportunity to work with you...

2 hours ago, bdubyah said:

I mean, if it's so trivial and you know so much, surely you can mod it in yourself? Right?

Oh, let me guess, you shouldn't have to because TFP should've already added it...

Guess what, i probably will after new alpha release :) If i manage to get access to MP layer

2 hours ago, ParadiseLostUK said:

Wow, I can't believe TFP ignored the opportunity to work with you...

Programmers dont talk "nice" just because of the community, programmers only care about facts and face problems directly. Game having no multiple access chests now is the current fact and problem. And regarding my job, I am employed by someone else already and that's all I can tell you in this regard because I signed NDA.

13 hours ago, Roland said:

It was. Carefully.

Really?

What games allow it? Every multiplayer game with containers that I've ever played makes players wait their turn from Minecraft to Valheim to Empyrion to Space Engineers to No Man's Sky right down to even Terraria and Stardew Valley. Why doesn't anyone who requests this ever say "Can we have multiple players be allowed to access the same chest at the same time just like they do in ________________?"

That is incorrect.  SE allows multiple players to access a single container at the same time.  Indeed, not just multiple players but also multiple processes as programming blocks will access a containers content and move it in the middle of you trying to do stuff. 

2 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

That is incorrect.  SE allows multiple players to access a single container at the same time.  Indeed, not just multiple players but also multiple processes as programming blocks will access a containers content and move it in the middle of you trying to do stuff. 

thanks for the correction. I haven’t played space engineers in ages and I don’t remember being able to do that back when I played. Seems to be the exception though. 

I did a Google search for multiple people accessing the same chest and it seems to be a very common request for pretty much all games that have multiplayer and chests. 

For something that is so universally desired across so many games and yet absent in almost every game it just leads me to think it must not be a trivial thing to do. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I’ve played games where chests can be linked or even just if they are in proximity to the workstation the contents are accessed when crafting. That is cool. 

Hmmm. The "C" is still missing from your latest update to the Dev Diary post.

Could it be that "Chests can now be accessed by nearby workstations"?

4 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Pretty sure Ark allows multiple to access chest.

Ark does do one really cool thing when you search you basically search every chest and chests can be linked to production tables, no more running round looking for the bit of lead.

It does allow you to pull from a certain radius, but just to note that feature was directly taken from the S+ mod when they officially integrated it. Otherwise ARK would likely be missing that ability as well. :)

Not sure on the allowing multiple people in a chest at one time. It's been a bit since I played it with others.

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

It does allow you to pull from a certain radius, but just to note that feature was directly taken from the S+ mod when they officially integrated it. Otherwise ARK would likely be missing that ability as well. :)

Not sure on the allowing multiple people in a chest at one time. It's been a bit since I played it with others.

You could be right, played Ark a bit but not a ton.

19 hours ago, Roland said:

thanks for the correction. I haven’t played space engineers in ages and I don’t remember being able to do that back when I played. Seems to be the exception though. 

I did a Google search for multiple people accessing the same chest and it seems to be a very common request for pretty much all games that have multiplayer and chests. 

For something that is so universally desired across so many games and yet absent in almost every game it just leads me to think it must not be a trivial thing to do. 

Did you ever program such stuff? I've been doing sync layer for vehicle driver AI's so it is synced across entire server, (AI controller inputs, loc, rot, physics interpolations (velocity, mass, momentum), etc) And I can definitely tell, that NOT allowing player to put item to their inventory before it is moved on the server is like the most trivial check thing you can do in such games as this one is.... Especially with engine that supports networking on it's own.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:08 PM, Roland said:

It was. Carefully.

Really?

Conan Exiles and i think subsistence aswell. And as mentioned SE.

I don´t know of any duping exploit there. Propably just a matter of time and work needed to avoid duping vs actual demand/usefullness.

Pretty sure if you start a poll that no one would mind beeing able to do that if there is no exploits connected to it.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Conan Exiles and i think subsistence aswell. And as mentioned SE.

I don´t know of any duping exploit there. Propably just a matter of time and work needed to avoid duping vs actual demand/usefullness.

Pretty sure if you start a poll that no one would mind beeing able to do that if there is no exploits connected to it.

Please don't mistake my skepticism that implementing the feature is a trivial thing with some kind of opposition to it. I would love for multiple people to be able to access chests at the same time. I just don't think it is easy to do. I'm sure a poll would show most people in favor of such a feature.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:15 AM, Roland said:

There are a lot of games that do but I never did say it would be 'trivial.'  For the most part though, I thin it actually should be pretty easy to implement and it is not the difficulty in having such a feature that is the problem but rather that it is structural.  IOW, as much as I would like to see something like this happen I think that it would have had to been a consideration before any of the multiplayer functionality was created.  I imagine it would be intimately tied with where and how inventory management is handled under the hood and that is not something that would be 'trivial' to change.

But then again, I may be totally off here.  It is rather sad that this is not more prevalent, locking people out of shared containers is a universal annoyance that really should have been eliminated a long time ago.