A Few thoughts

gfoster610

Hey all,

Sp, it's been a while since I've posted anything other than the number of hours I've got in. As I said, 7 days tends to be my go back to game when others fail, and It's nice to have this game to always come back to. I'm also one who tends to customize his game a lot and always forgets to backup his data files before updates🤪. There are a few things that still bug me and wish that we could see some improvements.

The biggest one for me is Crafting. Not being able to craft T6 of anything seems pointless to me. Why make an entire top tier of items unavailable except drops? It's pointless gating at the endgame and makes no sense to me. Then, crafting times are a bit silly compared to other games and MMOs. In the others, crafting is quick. I mean 10+ minutes for some items seems a bit excessive. I get that they are big items but still. Also, there are the clothing items that are impossible to craft, like Hooded Sweatshirt. I've dug through the code to try and make it available only to have it somehow locked behind a perk. This really makes no sense to me. I can craft every other clothing item in game, but not certain ones?? Lastly, the inability to craft parts for items is a big hole in the crafting section. Again, we have to rely on drops to complete a lot of crafting items, and its another form of content gating.

The other big issue for me is the whole skill points/books/schematics stuff. Personally, I wish you guys would just stick to one, preferably a skill points system. The problems that I have with the books and schematics are crappy drop rates, getting the same ones, and paper. I can't tell you the number of times I have to junk at the trader and he no longer wants my 500 stacks of paper. It seems like most of the books and schematics could be rolled into the point system pretty easily. For example, with robotics inventor, I would allow the crafting of parts after 3 skill points in, that seems reasonable. The same could be done with a lot of the skill tress. Heck, there's already a skill tree for spears, so why need a whole series of books for the same thing? The gains from the books could just be rolled into the skill points tree. Then, you just need to tweak xp gain and leveling and it would be all good. Personally, I have the Learnin' Elixir set to 1.8 right now and that's some nice xp gain. 🤪

I'm sure that given enough time and playing around with the xml code that I could solve some of the crafting issues, but would love to see them as actual changes.

4 minutes ago, gfoster610 said:

The biggest one for me is Crafting. Not being able to craft T6 of anything seems pointless to me. Why make an entire top tier of items unavailable except drops? It's pointless gating at the endgame and makes no sense to me.

As I understand it, the Q6 items are currently something like a placeholder for legendary items that are supposed to be added. In addition, they should encourage to explore and loot. There are some modlets that allow you to craft Q6 items. 

9 minutes ago, gfoster610 said:

The other big issue for me is the whole skill points/books/schematics stuff. Personally, I wish you guys would just stick to one, preferably a skill points system. The problems that I have with the books and schematics are crappy drop rates, getting the same ones, and paper. I can't tell you the number of times I have to junk at the trader and he no longer wants my 500 stacks of paper.

In A21, this whole system is replace by something they call "Learn by Reading". Details can be found on the first page of the Alpha 21 Dev Diary thread.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/28129-alpha-21-dev-diary/

Re Crafting time. In most other games you stop doing whatever else you are doing to craft something. Naturally then it can't take more than seconds to craft something. In this game it is done in parallel with everything else you do. So the comparison itself is apples and oranges.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)