Server keeps disconnecting me

Flopdup

So this is kind of a weird bug and i'll try my best to explain it - this is happening on Steam

My friend has a dedicated server that a bunch of us play on. Everyone can join just fine and what not, now the weird thing is I can ONLY join when someone else is on. So if the server has 0/20 players - I can't join (Just says Server disconnected you), but as soon as someone joins it allows me to. Even if the person leaves and the server has just me on, it does not kick me and I can continue to play just fine, but if I for instance relog - it wont let me on until someone else joins again. This does not happen on any other dedicated servers / SP

-System requirements are well above recommended

-Ping is fine as well as my internet in general, contacted ISP to see if there are anomalies 
-Not using a VPN

-Not using any app that enhances performance or anything like that

What i've tried:

Updating drivers.

Verifying integrity of the game files

Uninstalling the game and removing all files associated with it.
Downloading it on a different drive(fresh install of the game)
Disabling my antivirus
Disabling my firewall
Restarting router/modem
Flushing DNS
The server has no Mods and I have no mods either.

If it helps heres what was in the console
"2022-11-22T16:14:25 1449.701 WRN [EOS] [LogEOSMessaging - Warning] Lost Connection to Stomp on 'wss://api.epicgames.dev/notifications/v1/30b9e9e5f58b4f4e82930b3bef76d9e1/connect' () - will atempt to reconnect after 5.3 seconds. LocalUserId=[000...5cd]."

Altough this does not appear anymore, after that this message started appearing

2022-11-22T16:14:34 1458.894 EXC NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This message, like the previous one is also not appearing anymore. Now when it disconnects me it just says "Server disconnected you" with the console not saying anything related to that. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Flopdup
adding info (see edit history)

The server is having you use steamnetworking rather than litenetlib to connect to the server even though both are enabled. The other players could be joining via litenetlib which is why they aren’t having problems. It is generally recommended that servers disable SteamNetworking as a server protocal. Ask your friend that is hosting to edit his serverconfig.xml and change this line to look like this: <property name=“DisabledServerNetworkProtocals” value=“SteamNetworking”

Also be sure that he has forwarded the following ports on his router: 26900 tcp and 26900-26903 udp and use an online scanner to verify that they are indeed open. Since other players can connect fine, the ports are probably configured properly.

On your end, disabling the antivirus is not the correct way to deal with EOS disconnection…you really should create exclusions for the 7DaystoDie game & saves folder.

I’m hoping that all that you really need to do is to have SteamNetworking disabled so a litenetlib connection is used. Let us know if this fixes your issue.

1 hour ago, Star69 said:

The server is having you use steamnetworking rather than litenetlib to connect to the server even though both are enabled. The other players could be joining via litenetlib which is why they aren’t having problems. It is generally recommended that servers disable SteamNetworking as a server protocal. Ask your friend that is hosting to edit his serverconfig.xml and change this line to look like this: <property name=“DisabledServerNetworkProtocals” value=“SteamNetworking”

1 hour ago, Star69 said:

Also be sure that he has forwarded the following ports on his router: 26900 tcp and 26900-26903 udp and use an online scanner to verify that they are indeed open. Since other players can connect fine, the ports are probably configured properly.

If that were the case, disabling steamnetworking would simply shut him out completely as his connection with litenetlib fails.

1 hour ago, Star69 said:

On your end, disabling the antivirus is not the correct way to deal with EOS disconnection…you really should create exclusions for the 7DaystoDie game & saves folder.

I’m hoping that all that you really need to do is to have SteamNetworking disabled so a litenetlib connection is used. Let us know if this fixes your issue.

See above, that can't work.

I can see two possibilities here:

1) No one can connect with litenetlib because the server (on the friends private network probably) has not correctly opened the necessary ports. His friends just have more luck with steamnetworking because steamnetworking works in principle but is very particular on circumstances.

2) Only he can't connect with litenetlib, but then the problem must be at least partly on his side, i.e. his router/network has a problem, he did not create exclusions for the game and saves folders or some other unknown problem that needs to be found and fixed.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

If that were the case, disabling steamnetworking would simply shut him out completely as his connection with litenetlib fails.

See above, that can't work.

I can see two possibilities here:

1) No one can connect with litenetlib because the server (on the friends private network probably) has not correctly opened the necessary ports. His friends just have more luck with steamnetworking because steamnetworking works in principle but is very particular on circumstances.

2) Only he can't connect with litenetlib, but then the problem must be at least partly on his side, i.e. his router/network has a problem, he did not create exclusions for the game and saves folders or some other unknown problem that needs to be found and fixed.

So what exactly should I try and do here, I don't really understand anything about steamnetworking or whatever, because this only happens on this specific dedicated server, no other ones and or private servers

Edited by Flopdup (see edit history)

If your friend has his server at home (and not somewhere at a server hoster) he should check that he has the ports forwarded in his router like Star69 said.

And you should create exclusions for the 7DaystoDie game & saves folder. Also, if you haven't done already, use the launcher, change to the tools tab and clear your settings (you will probably loose any progress on the server with this, but the server owner can give you back xp and items).

Then try again.

If it still doesn't work, go to a friends house (preferably one who has a different provider) with your computer and try again. If it works, your router or provider may be the problem, otherwise still your PCs setup.

Alternatively post again your and the servers logfiles via pastebin, freshly created, and complete this time.

13 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If your friend has his server at home (and not somewhere at a server hoster) he should check that he has the ports forwarded in his router like Star69 said.

Also, if you haven't done already, use the launcher, change to the tools tab and clear your settings (you will probably loose any progress on the server with this, but the server owner can give you back xp and items).

It's a server from a server hoster, and i've tried the other thing. I'll post new logs when I am able to get the server ones

If possible, try the following sequence:

1) Note the time and try to login without anyone else on the server.

2) Note the time and let one of the other players login

3) Note the time and login again.

It will hopefully show how the unsuccesfull and the succesfull logins differ

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If possible, try the following sequence:

1) Note the time and try to login without anyone else on the server.

2) Note the time and let one of the other players login

3) Note the time and login again.

It will hopefully show how the unsuccesfull and the succesfull logins differ

And this will be in the server logs right?

39 minutes ago, Flopdup said:

And this will be in the server logs right?

Time is shown in both logs, your login attempts are shown in both logs (but with different information displayed, the lines are not the same). Only the other players login is shown only in the server log.

We need your client log and the server log to get a complete picture. Since we don't know the cause we are searching for clues in all likely places. Having only the server or only the client log is like listening to only one side of a conversation over telephone

1) First of all your friend is connecting through steamnetworking instead of litenetlib as well, so maybe your server is not opening all the necessary ports.  I would suggest to test it yourself:

Download nmap, this is a port scanner utility (or any other if you have one already). I don't know how the usage is on windows, on the linux command line I did this with my own server (and my own port range):

nmap -v -p 25599-25602 -sU -Pn 217.182.137.32

sudo nmap -v -p 25599-25602 -Pn 217.182.137.32

You might have to substitute every "-" with a "/" and . Or if you have a graphical user interface scan those ports for TCP and UDP.

You should see TCP 25599 "open", the rest "closed", this is just a test to see your port scanner actually sees the server port. And you should see at least 2 udp ports in the range 25599-25602 "open", maybe more. In my case there were only two of them open, I assume if the server is configured to be public there might be more open ports. I even checked that those ports were closed when I had shut down the server.

If it is a managed server you could ask the server operator to open those UDP ports, but he probably(?) won't so you might have to live with it or switch to another provider. Note it is just a guess that steamnetworking might be part of your problem, it is perfectly possible that changing to litenetlib doesn't change anything.

2) If you have an Epic AND Steam account, link them. I am saying this because someone else had (different) connection problems because of this.

3) The disconnect's reasons sadly isn't shown in the logs directly. It happens between  logfile entries "INF Loaded (received): shapes" and "INF Block IDs with mapping" shortly after the the game authorized you and is beginning to add you to the game. If the game is already doing parallel tasks at that point then it might be something else. Or if it is doing something it doesn't put into the logfile. It is also not clear if "Block IDs with mapping" is saying it will be doing that now or if it is finished with the task.

I can't imagine anything that could be stopping the game when it is mapping block names to block ids. Anything that is should have been gone with your cleaning of local settings... with the launcher and verifying the game files.

Ask your friend who is managing the server to delete all player files of EOS_0002021295c1436fb592585383d7a5cd/Flopdup . Normally cleaning local settings creates a new character on the server. But there is a server setting so you are always linked to the same character, so manually deleting your character on the server might be a necessary step and it seems this wasn't done yet.

4) @Beelzbob posted a short list of possible problems here, you should check if anything applies to you : https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/30654-player-falling-under-the-ground-multiplayer/?do=findComment&comment=506308 .

In any case, please post whether anything above helped or not.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:58 PM, meganoth said:

1) First of all your friend is connecting through steamnetworking instead of litenetlib as well, so maybe your server is not opening all the necessary ports.  I would suggest to test it yourself:

Download nmap, this is a port scanner utility (or any other if you have one already). I don't know how the usage is on windows, on the linux command line I did this with my own server (and my own port range):

nmap -v -p 25599-25602 -sU -Pn 217.182.137.32

sudo nmap -v -p 25599-25602 -Pn 217.182.137.32

You might have to substitute every "-" with a "/" and . Or if you have a graphical user interface scan those ports for TCP and UDP.

You should see TCP 25599 "open", the rest "closed", this is just a test to see your port scanner actually sees the server port. And you should see at least 2 udp ports in the range 25599-25602 "open", maybe more. In my case there were only two of them open, I assume if the server is configured to be public there might be more open ports. I even checked that those ports were closed when I had shut down the server.

If it is a managed server you could ask the server operator to open those UDP ports, but he probably(?) won't so you might have to live with it or switch to another provider. Note it is just a guess that steamnetworking might be part of your problem, it is perfectly possible that changing to litenetlib doesn't change anything.

2) If you have an Epic AND Steam account, link them. I am saying this because someone else had (different) connection problems because of this.

3) The disconnect's reasons sadly isn't shown in the logs directly. It happens between  logfile entries "INF Loaded (received): shapes" and "INF Block IDs with mapping" shortly after the the game authorized you and is beginning to add you to the game. If the game is already doing parallel tasks at that point then it might be something else. Or if it is doing something it doesn't put into the logfile. It is also not clear if "Block IDs with mapping" is saying it will be doing that now or if it is finished with the task.

I can't imagine anything that could be stopping the game when it is mapping block names to block ids. Anything that is should have been gone with your cleaning of local settings... with the launcher and verifying the game files.

Ask your friend who is managing the server to delete all player files of EOS_0002021295c1436fb592585383d7a5cd/Flopdup . Normally cleaning local settings creates a new character on the server. But there is a server setting so you are always linked to the same character, so manually deleting your character on the server might be a necessary step and it seems this wasn't done yet.

4) @Beelzbob posted a short list of possible problems here, you should check if anything applies to you : https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/30654-player-falling-under-the-ground-multiplayer/?do=findComment&comment=506308 .

In any case, please post whether anything above helped or not.

Ports look fine, linked up steam and epic accounts, he deleted my files and nothing. 
Then he switched server hosts, I tried joining and it let me on, but a few hours later when I tried joining again it did not let me on. Altough before on the old host it disconnects me right after it says initiliazing world, but now it disconnects me right after creating character. The logs and console show nothing different apart from the disconnect message now saying "network timeout", whereas before it said server disconnected you. But I can STILL join whenever someone else is on which confuses me as to why that's the case, and why it worked the first time right after he switched hosts

6 hours ago, Flopdup said:

Ports look fine, linked up steam and epic accounts, he deleted my files and nothing. 
Then he switched server hosts, I tried joining and it let me on, but a few hours later when I tried joining again it did not let me on. Altough before on the old host it disconnects me right after it says initiliazing world, but now it disconnects me right after creating character. The logs and console show nothing different apart from the disconnect message now saying "network timeout", whereas before it said server disconnected you. But I can STILL join whenever someone else is on which confuses me as to why that's the case, and why it worked the first time right after he switched hosts

What do you mean by switching server hosts? I assume to a different server of the same hoster? Is it a barebones server your friend is operating or a managed server?

23 minutes ago, meganoth said:

What do you mean by switching server hosts? I assume to a different server of the same hoster? Is it a barebones server your friend is operating or a managed server?

Switched hosts as in from one service provider to a different one

7 hours ago, Star69 said:

Can you play on any other dedicated server without losing connection or unable to join it a second time? 

Yes, and even still this server I can join when someone ELSE is already on. But when I try to get on solo, it does not let me

This is the fourth time I've done this now, I've installed the game fresh (again), disabled steamnetworking (again), Tried nothing new or did anything, but this time it worked for whatever reason
I am able to log on now, /sometimes/ it disconnects me but the second try lets me on, which it didn't before. Anyway, thank you all for the support!

There is still something strange going on here. But as long as it works ...

Here are a few things you could do if you are still interested in getting behind the issue and have lots of free time:

1) You could make a new account on the same computer, install 7d2d and then check whether it still happens.

2) If you still have about 50G of free space on a harddisk somewhere or even better on an external drive, install something like Ubuntu Linux on it. Don't worry, that isn't really difficult.  Install steam and download the game. Still having the problem?

A third thing I had already suggested, going to a friend with your computer and try to play the game there.

A fourth thing would be a variation of that: Use the friends computer, but login into your own steam account and try playing the game with his computer.

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

There is still something strange going on here. But as long as it works ...

Here are a few things you could do if you are still interested in getting behind the issue and have lots of free time:

1) You could make a new account on the same computer, install 7d2d and then check whether it still happens.

2) If you still have about 50G of free space on a harddisk somewhere or even better on an external drive, install something like Ubuntu Linux on it. Don't worry, that isn't really difficult.  Install steam and download the game. Still having the problem?

A third thing I had already suggested, going to a friend with your computer and try to play the game there.

A fourth thing would be a variation of that: Use the friends computer, but login into your own steam account and try playing the game with his computer.

I guess i'll try to get behind the issue, it is weird yeah, i'll try these things and get back to you