Crafting recipes need two icons: Unlocked by book, and unlocked by perk.

kingcthulhu2

I mean, if I already spent points into advanced engineering, it would still be nice to know whether or not I've read the book required for certain recipes, just in case I wanted to respecialize my character one day. I could be like "okay, I've read the books for workbench, forge, cement mixer and chemistry station, so now I can feel safe respecializing". Same goes for certain cooking recipes, if you respecialize then you can reallocate that point you spent in master chef into something else. If I could just check and see somewhere, whether or not I've read the books for grilled meat and red tea, I could feel safe doing that. I know I could just write it down whenever I find a readable recipe, but it would be really awesome if there was an in-game tell for it.

Welcome to the forum. To cross-post my response from the Steam side for people reading here... This should become moot in the next alpha, when “perks no longer unlock recipes or govern crafting at all” according to the dev diary (over in News & Announcements if you want to check it out while you're here :)).