Some work on better POI/tiles localization?

Kyonshi

This is in any way harsh criticism of the game or the devs, because I dearly love 7DTD. Im invariably hooked on it since I first started it up almost 3 years ago now.

My question is, as its hinted in my topic title: will there be adjustments regarding the positioning/localization of certain POI tiles? I hope I phrase it correctly.

What I mean is that a farmhouse with a cornfield looks very out of place just beside a downtown area with the Dishong Tower right next to it, haha! Shouldn't agricultural areas be much more remote than that?

I remember when I made custom maps with KingGen, which was grouping industrial, commercial and residential POIs together. I know A20 RWG does it too, and I quite frankly love it. It's just the zoning of some of them looks weird and it collides a bit with my immersion in the game.

It also would bring in an additional, interesting level of challenge. Like, if I make my hideout downtown, in the Crack-A-Book head office, I shouldn't have it easy by having this corn farm right next door if I need some for recipes. I should know that farm zones are further away from urbanized areas and that I should travel over there if I want certain items related to such zones.

I know it all comes down to huge programming and coding processes to establish what I'm talking about, there's a @%$# ton of elements in the way, but I hope I made my point clear. Thanks Pimps and whatever's on the to-do list, I can't hold in place until A21 lands 🤘😉

3 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

What I mean is that a farmhouse with a cornfield looks very out of place just beside a downtown area with the Dishong Tower right next to it, haha! Shouldn't agricultural areas be much more remote than that?

You're ultimately banging into a need for a great many more POIs, which would let districts be thicker and then allow for a more gradual transition.

As an alternative, I like the looks of this a little better. It wraps cities in Residential instead of Rural. It still leaves Country Towns wrapped in Rural.

<rwgmixer> 	
    <!-- Wrap Cities in Residential Tiles instead of Rural Tiles -->
    <set xpath="/rwgmixer/township[@name='city']/property[@name='outskirt_district']/@value">residential</set>
</rwgmixer>

We could maybe get closer if maps involved one city, but that might seem weird with the Traders as they are today.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

16 hours ago, zztong said:

You're ultimately banging into a need for a great many more POIs, which would let districts be thicker and then allow for a more gradual transition.

As an alternative, I like the looks of this a little better. It wraps cities in Residential instead of Rural. It still leaves Country Towns wrapped in Rural.

<rwgmixer> 	
    <!-- Wrap Cities in Residential Tiles instead of Rural Tiles -->
    <set xpath="/rwgmixer/township[@name='city']/property[@name='outskirt_district']/@value">residential</set>
</rwgmixer>

We could maybe get closer if maps involved one city, but that might seem weird with the Traders as they are today.

Nice! So I just add this line between the two <rwgmixer> and that's it?

17 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

Nice! So I just add this line between the two <rwgmixer> and that's it?

That XSLT, so it would go in a modlet if you wanted to use it verbatim.

(1) If you wanted to apply the change by hand, rather than make a modlet then you would...

• Edit the game's rwgmixer.xml file.
  • Find the township with a name of "city".
  • Change the township's "outskirt_district" to be "residential" instead of "rural."

(2) Another option would be that you install my modlet (ZZTong-Prefabs) but you will get a lot more than just that change.

12 hours ago, zztong said:

That XSLT, so it would go in a modlet if you wanted to use it verbatim.

(1) If you wanted to apply the change by hand, rather than make a modlet then you would...

• Edit the game's rwgmixer.xml file.
  • Find the township with a name of "city".
  • Change the township's "outskirt_district" to be "residential" instead of "rural."

(2) Another option would be that you install my modlet (ZZTong-Prefabs) but you will get a lot more than just that change.

Nice, I'll mod the xml file then, that plenty enough for me. Thanks again!