Play with friends in local game

diazlee

Hello, surely they have answered it but since the game is updated a lot I will ask here :-)

My friend has created a local game and he is the administrator. Is it possible to create a game where I can connect at any time and continue the game?

Now I can only connect if he enters his game and invites me, is there any way we can play in the same world, save all the player's items and status and connect without the other friend playing?

Thank you very much

Yes, but it needs some work. (I assume you are on windows. I play and host my server on a different operation system so I am a bit sketchy on many details)

One option is to rent a server in the cloud to host your game. There are companies who do everything including install and hosting of the game, you just have to edit serverconfig.xml or setup the server in some configuration menue.

Another option is to host a server yourself:

You should have a script file called startdedicated.bat in the programs folder and a file serverconfig.xml. Edit the xml file to your needs and start the server with the script. You might need a separate account for this, maybe a separate steam account even, I don't know. 

If you don't see a file startdedicated.bat or one of the above limitations is too much you can download a headless server that should make things easier, it definitely doesn't need steam to be started and it doesn't need a separate steam account (I know because I use one on my server).

More info here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you very much! In the end we have rented a server (zap hosting) and we all play connecting by port and by IP.
I have another question, how can I install prefabs and POIs into an existing world?
I've seen tutorials on Youtube but I'm not sure if it works only for steam server.
I would like to add community prefabs to have many more buildings in the world that we are already playing.
Do all players need to install these prefabs in the local steam game files and also on the rented server?
Do you have any tutorial to do this? Now I understand a little more how the server works (it doesn't have as many options as the steam one) and I've changed the horde frequency, removed friendly fire, etc.
Another thing. If I remove the anti cheats to install a mod, would it change the gameplay or is that filter simply used when you play with more people and you don't want cheats to be done?
Just in case I have created a backup before doing anything, I have installed mods and except for weapons all work fine,

Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, diazlee said:

Thank you very much! In the end we have rented a server (zap hosting) and we all play connecting by port and by IP.
I have another question, how can I install prefabs and POIs into an existing world?
I've seen tutorials on Youtube but I'm not sure if it works only for steam server.

I would like to add community prefabs to have many more buildings in the world that we are already playing.
Do all players need to install these prefabs in the local steam game files and also on the rented server?

AFAIK all players need to install the prefabs.

Do you have any tutorial to do this? Now I understand a little more how the server works (it doesn't have as many options as the steam one) and I've changed the horde frequency, removed friendly fire, etc.

Tutorials? No idea. If there are they are probably in the mods section.

Another thing. If I remove the anti cheats to install a mod, would it change the gameplay or is that filter simply used when you play with more people and you don't want cheats to be done?

EasyAntiCheats is a pure watchdogs that makes sure everybody plays with an unchanged version of 7D2D. It does not change gameplay.

Just in case I have created a backup before doing anything, I have installed mods and except for weapons all work fine,

Thank you very much!