Custom Signs

zztong

Consider these blocks:

• signShopToolStore
  • signShopToolStoreLit
  • signShopToolStoreWall
  • signShopToolStoreWallLit

We cannot change the message on those signs for use in Custom POIs. Could we perhaps add some XML to specify an image file located in our modlet?

<property name="SignImage" value="signMyCoolStore.png"/>

The same approach to signs like the following would also be cool:

• signShopColdBeer

I know there was some discussion on these forums where somebody suggested similar, but where the images came from URLs. While that would be cool. This approach does not involve any networking, downloading, or caching. The image files would be contained in the modlet, just like icon files are.

The current process for adding a customized sign into the game involves a lengthy process of Gimp, Blender, Unity and XML. This suggestion would streamline that down to Gimp and XML.

Disclaimer: This might be a suggestion made out of the frustration that goes with learning something new and bouncing off various complications. ;)

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

The signs maybe more complex than we give them credit for. Not throwing stones here, but the handful of billboards currently in the game sure could use a rework. Only so much one can do with voxels I suppose. Me thinks you're refering to signs as in more detailed, variable size creations for store fronts and such. Like the energy drink and sale adverts? Bigger and better? Keep at it. I'd like to learn that skill as well.

I recall mention of URL images in one of these threads. I guess that already (perhaps loosely) exists in the video screen mods? Not being too savvy, I'd probably go the route of photo editing to make my creation. I had Blender at one time. Scared the crepes outta me.  But that is only part of it. Getting the image into the game (and it looking good) is another challenge. 

No, I can't offer any solutions, but what you're trying to do does interest me. Good luck.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

I think I'm ready for a 2nd swing at Blender to Unity, but... really, the point of this Dream is convenience. Custom signs would add a lot of diversity to POI decoration. We can do it with the tools provided and a willingness to make/distribute custom blocks. But the idea embodied here is streamlining the process for this predicable and defined case.