Setting up dedicated server on its own machine - tell me like I’m three

Prydonian

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Learn to read the logfiles, as a server operator your first look with any problems should always be the logfile. Everything the game does is in there, including the full paths it reads savegames and config files from. Logfiles are in 7DaysToDie_Data/

If you are still 3 years old, you could also post the last logifle into pastebin and a link to it here and then we will tell you 😉. But it will save you losts of time later if you acquire the skill to read logfiles yourself. Reading a few logfiles posted here in general support and reading what experienced users say about the contents can also help you notice what is important in there and what isn't.

Ahh, yeah, I’ve been looking into that.  It’s how I managed to work out of some of the problems I was encountering.  Thanks very much for the offer to look it over, I appreciate it.  But for the moment…

It works!  It’s done!  It’s up!  It’s running!  Well, not right now, but in a general sense!  

It was indeed the local files causing the issue.  I hadn’t understood where to path the userdata and savedata entries in the config file, so it had been loading from the old game folder.  

Just to make sure I haven’t done anything wrong, the locations I chose were:

User data: 

Users \Bertie\Desktop\ steamcmd\7daystodieserver

Save data: Users \Bertie \Desktop\ steamcmd \7daystodieserver \Saves

So, should I have copied over the SavesLocal folder at all, or can I just trash it?

Thanks for all your help, guys.  It is much appreciated.  

On 9/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, meganoth said:

Saveslocal ist just a location for caches used when connected to a server (AFAIK) and can be deleted, it will just be reloaded from the server.

Gotcha.  Thanks!

So, here’s a follow-up question.  How can I, as a player on that server, enable console commands?  All my batteries and wiring didn’t survive the migration.

9 minutes ago, Prydonian said:

Gotcha.  Thanks!

So, here’s a follow-up question.  How can I, as a player on that server, enable console commands?  All my batteries and wiring didn’t survive the migration.

Not sure how that can help with your wiring issue, but there is a file called serveradmin.xml which you can find in the directory where all your savegames are stored. There you can give yourself or any other player more rights, no matter from where you connect

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

That data is stored in the power.dat file. Maybe you missed copying it over? Just a guess.

Oh!  Hmm, I moved whole folders, so I don’t know how I missed it, but I’ll have a look!  I just assumed it was a normal side-effect of the process.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Not sure how that can help with your wiring issue, but there is a file called serveradmin.xml which you can find in the directory where all your savegames are stored. There you can give yourself or any other player more rights, no matter from where you connect

I was hoping to use creative mode to magic my batteries back into existence.

15 hours ago, Star69 said:

console commands are always available. Hit F1 to bring up the console, type dm then enter, type cm then enter. Now to access creative menu, you just need to hit U.

I don't think they have to even bother with DM if they just want creative to get some stuff back. I think F1 and then CM will work for them.